What Bourbon Did You Pass On 2024

PaulO

I can tell you what I'm more likely "to" pass on, rather than "have" passed on.

More than likely, anything costing over $100.00 per bottle (if sourced in the USA) or $250.00 (if sourced in Europe - ie. Scotch).  I might be a "gentleman and a scholar,"  but I'm still not yet a "judge of fine whiskey." 😃 Over time, maybe I'll get up to that hefty priced stuff., although I do plan to stay out of the secondary and tertiary markets.  

Sorry Pappy!

I passed on this one today at Meijer.  

image000000.jpg

• I like it 8

I have been buying less lately as I try to drink through my current backups, but this weekend I went to 2 stores and  I passed on:

Larceny BP

Elijah Craig BP

Elijah Craig Toaste Barrel

Henry McKenna 10

Weller SR

Buffalo Trace

• I like it 1

Today I saw a new one for me - Bulleit Single Malt @ $45 and change with the multi bottle discount.

while I did make some purchases yesterday, I passed on Larceny BP C921, ECPB A124, HM 10, Woodford Masters Collection, KC 18yr.

May go back for it but passed on the chattanooga whiskey founders blend today. Ive liked most everything from these guys but $65 for a two year age statement made me want to check with you guys. Anybody had this one?

8 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

May go back for it but passed on the chattanooga whiskey founders blend today. Ive liked most everything from these guys but $65 for a two year age statement made me want to check with you guys. Anybody had this one?

I would pass a 2 year ago statement at any price to be honest...

23 minutes ago, b1gcountry said:

I would pass a 2 year ago statement at any price to be honest...

Its min 2 yr. MGP. If it wasnt Chattanooga i wouldnt gamble but… before their own distillate was used, Chattanooga had some great 1816 products that consisted of some very young (min2 yr) MGP solera bottles. Hoping this is similar. 

19 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Their own (over) 2 year “Cask” bourbon is quite good.  I am several bottles in, and when I first learned that it was their own distillate, and 2 years…I was floored…

I say theirs, because the label says, distilled, aged, and bottled by Chattanooga.  And, aged over 2 years.  If it was more I would assume they would say so. 😁

Picked up another today, because of Chattanooga’s mention here.  Sipping now, and it is still on point.

• I like it 2

I passed on KY Owl and EC18 both for $299.99

I pass on almost all most bourbons anymore unless they are something I'm curious about. Most notable passes this week were EW SiB, HMcKBiB10, and Wild Turkey Generations all at msrp.  I've pretty much totally quit buying most all "tater" bourbon brands (NDP)  over $70-80 msrp unless I have a particular liking to them based on history (Barrell bourbon is the only one that comes to mind).

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I pass on almost all most bourbons anymore unless they are something I'm curious about. Most notable passes this week were EW SiB, HMcKBiB10, and Wild Turkey Generations all at msrp.  I've pretty much totally quit buying most all "tater" bourbon brands (NDP)  over $70-80 msrp unless I have a particular liking to them based on history (Barrell bourbon is the only one that comes to mind).

I think Barrell has somehow escaped the Tater’s gaze

• I like it 1

I found a JD 12yr the other day but it was an easy pass at $370. There were several other allocated bottles on the shelf at similar crazy markups that I had to pass on as well. I did find another Camp Nelson barrel of WTKS, but since it was from the same warehouse and rick, just a different barrel as the one I bough last week(which I am initially not fond of it's unusually spicy finish), I opted to pass while I pondered if I should go back and pick it up. Also found plenty of HM10, Larceny BP A124, & ECBP A124 that I passed on. I will wait to see if the "B" batches of both get better reviews before making a decision on whether or not to pick up the "A" batches.

I passed on a ton of great whiskey this past Saturday at the Little Creek PX in Va Beach.   Not because of the prices, (which were fantastic), but I've been trying to reel in buying until I whittle down the bunker.   I id snag a few bottles, but passed on a ton.

Like I stated earlier, I'm not very good at "not" buying...

• I like it 2

11 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I passed on a ton of great whiskey this past Saturday at the Little Creek PX in Va Beach.   Not because of the prices, (which were fantastic), but I've been trying to reel in buying until I whittle down the bunker.   I id snag a few bottles, but passed on a ton.

Like I stated earlier, I'm not very good at "not" buying...

I was in the Army. I was stationed in Little Creek for training from October 74-April 75. 😁

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I was in the Army. I was stationed in Little Creek for training from October 74-April 75. 😁

Nice!   Dad was in the Navy for 38 years...

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Was never in the service(s)...but thank you to those of  you who were/are!!

I WAS at Little Creek about 5 years ago for work, however.

• I like it 2

On 5/6/2024 at 7:26 AM, Double C's said:

ECBP A124 that I passed on. I will wait to see if the "B" batches of both get better reviews before making a decision on whether or not to pick up the "A" batches.

I know ECBP A124 has gotten meh reviews and I also passed on it as a result.  But, last week my son brought over a fresh bottle which we opened after dinner.  I have to say, it's a delicious whiskey with a great, cotton candy nose.  The criticism has mostly been that it's off profile for ECBP, which it is; but that doesn't make it a bad whiskey.  IMO, it's worth a buy if you see it at msrp.   

• I like it 5

Yesterday I came across a Russell's Reserve barrel pic at a local store.  I scooped one off the shelf, walked up to the register... and it was crickets.  After several minutes of standing there all by my lonesome I left the bottle on the counter and walked out.  I doubt I will ever return to that store again, as I'm not a fan of piss-poor customer service.  No worries.  I saved $74.99 plus tax.  The Russell's single barrel store picks are getting pricey.   

8 minutes ago, MyBrainOnWhiskey said:

Yesterday I came across a Russell's Reserve barrel pic at a local store.  I scooped one off the shelf, walked up to the register... and it was crickets.  After several minutes of standing there all by my lonesome I left the bottle on the counter and walked out.  I doubt I will ever return to that store again, as I'm not a fan of piss-poor customer service.  No worries.  I saved $74.99 plus tax.  The Russell's single barrel store picks are getting pricey.   

Perhaps, there was a situation at the store that took the attendant away.  Try again tomorrow.  Maybe, things will sort themselves out.  

12 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Perhaps, there was a situation at the store that took the attendant away.  Try again tomorrow.  Maybe, things will sort themselves out.  

I wish I could give them a pass, but the store attendants knew I was in the store.  One of the two gentlemen was very friendly and greeted me when I walked in the door.  The other guy was stocking the whiskey / bourbon aisle and he kept crowding me as he walked by multiple times in the span of just a couple minutes.  It was irritating and off-putting, so I just went to the counter to purchase the Russell's.  He just let me stand there as he continued to stock the aisle so I left.  

2 hours ago, MyBrainOnWhiskey said:

I wish I could give them a pass, but the store attendants knew I was in the store.  One of the two gentlemen was very friendly and greeted me when I walked in the door.  The other guy was stocking the whiskey / bourbon aisle and he kept crowding me as he walked by multiple times in the span of just a couple minutes.  It was irritating and off-putting, so I just went to the counter to purchase the Russell's.  He just let me stand there as he continued to stock the aisle so I left.  

That’s really weird!  

Passed on HMcK 10 for $62.  Just can bring myself to pay that when I know how much less I have paid in the past.  Plus, I still have a few in the bunker.

On 5/7/2024 at 12:25 PM, fosmith said:

I know ECBP A124 has gotten meh reviews and I also passed on it as a result.  But, last week my son brought over a fresh bottle which we opened after dinner.  I have to say, it's a delicious whiskey with a great, cotton candy nose.  The criticism has mostly been that it's off profile for ECBP, which it is; but that doesn't make it a bad whiskey.  IMO, it's worth a buy if you see it at msrp.   

I bought both the EC BP and the Larceny BP for A124 near MSRP. ($80 each which isn't bad for SWFL)

I liked them both. For $80, I'll every release of EC BP, and have for years.