What bottle did you open today? - 2024

9 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I was speaking with a friend who is a member of a well known Bourbon group which did some picks at Holladay a couple months ago.  Their feedback was similar to Steve’s (“Flahute”.  I can call him Steve because he is my brother…😁).  They had very good things to say about the barrels they chose, and even better things to say about the experience and Holladay’s hospitality.  Sounds like that distillery has it goin’ on.  👍🏻

sb.com pick? Or GBS and I tag along?  You would love these guys. First night we are at the hotel bar and one of the guys brings me a bourbon (Holladay of course) and then sets down a Coors next to it.

"What's this?" I ask. "It's a side drink. Everybody needs a side drink." And from that point on I had a Coors next to my bourbon at all times.

• I like it 1

On 3/26/2024 at 2:32 PM, flahute said:

I only learned about them last year so I'd guess most of the country doesn't know much about them yet. The hype appears to be real locally though. Bourbon Lore just released their 18 barrel blend and one barrel's worth sold out at the distillery Saturday morning immediately.

11 hours ago, Double C's said:

I hope you are right and the hype train doesn't hit this brand sending all the taters into a frenzy to buy them all up. I did just hop onto the bourbon outfitter site a few minutes ago and saw that the bourbon lore Holladay pick was sold out already. I believe I was on the site only minutes after it was available for regular purchase. Maybe the early access folks snatched them all up.

Sorry Steve but you're too late.  The Texas Facebook bourbon tater "locusts"  have already ruined this one.

Btw, the most annoying taters of all exist on local Facebook bourbon groups.  I mean the most annoying taters ... you know the type: discovered bourbon literally 12 months ago (or even less) and they bought this bottle online within 30 minutes of its release, resulting in it instantly selling out.  Yeesh.

• I like it 1

43 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Sorry Steve but you're too late.  The Texas Facebook bourbon tater "locusts"  have already ruined this one.

Btw, the most annoying taters of all exist on local Facebook bourbon groups.  I mean the most annoying taters ... you know the type: discovered bourbon literally 12 months ago (or even less) and they bought this bottle online within 30 minutes of its release, resulting in it instantly selling out.  Yeesh.

Well interesting. Are the locusts buying up everything Holladay or just the special releases?

7 minutes ago, flahute said:

Well interesting. Are the locusts buying up everything Holladay or just the special releases?

Rickhouse Proof expressions have been chased for awhile.  But I think (hopefully) most of the locusts must have acquired their desired standard expressions in their bunker, because it is now available at several outlets, as are the Bonded offerings.

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 1

5 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Rickhouse Proof expressions have been chased for awhile.  But I think (hopefully) most of the locusts must have acquired their desired standard expressions in their bunker, because it is now available at several outlets, as are the Bonded offerings.

That makes sense.  They only recently have come online so their quantity is growing.

• I like it 1

I just opened my new Sagamore BiB 6 year version.  I also have the previous year's 5 year BiB opened and since that bottle is getting a bit low I wanted to open this 6 yr to compare the two while the first one is still around.

20240329_194439.thumb.jpg.e98ae79160ea1225f7e04b69d7216ca6.jpg

• I like it 6

38 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I just opened my new Sagamore BiB 6 year version.  I also have the previous year's 5 year BiB opened and since that bottle is getting a bit low I wanted to open this 6 yr to compare the two while the first one is still around.

With the exception of the DO, I like everything that I've had out of Sagamore...

17 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

With the exception of the DO, I like everything that I've had out of Sagamore...

Your hatred for the DO is well documented.  Lol 😜

I agree, I like everything as well.  I've steered clear of some of their weird finished releases (tequila, rum, Manhattan etc).  I do really like the Sherry finish and I will soon be cracking open a Port finish.  Those two are the only finished ones I've pulled the trigger on.  (Edit:  well, I guess the DO might also be considered finished, since it was finished in a second barrel.  Okay, count 3 finished versions).

Edited by Kepler
Double oak
  • I like it 2

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

Your hatred for the DO is well documented.  Lol 😜

I agree, I like everything as well.  I've steered clear of some of their weird finished releases (tequila, rum, Manhattan etc).  I do really like the Sherry finish and I will soon be cracking open a Port finish.  Those two are the only finished ones I've pulled the trigger on.  (Edit:  well, I guess the DO might also be considered finished, since it was finished in a second barrel.  Okay, count 3 finished versions).

Yeah, I don't hate the DO, and it's not as cloying in a rye, but I don't care for it.

I've steered clear of those weird releases too.

• I like it 1

35 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Yeah, I don't hate the DO, and it's not as cloying in a rye, but I don't care for it.

I've steered clear of those weird releases too.

Fair clarification.  I was just razzin' ya 😉

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

Fair clarification.  I was just razzin' ya 😉

None needed.  I know you were...🍻🥃

Well, all this talk of MM got me to thinking "Maybe these ARE the droids I'm looking for".

It would appear the CS is still in Ohio. Shall have to schlepp it & compare.

MM101.jpg

• I like it 4

Wife needs some bourbon for the ham, so I pulled this one out and cracked it open for her to use in the morning.  Had to take a swig to make sure it was ok.

I always forget how good regular Woodford is.

IMG_8584.jpeg

• I like it 3

14 hours ago, 0895 said:

Wife needs some bourbon for the ham, so I pulled this one out and cracked it open for her to use in the morning.  Had to take a swig to make sure it was ok.

I always forget how good regular Woodford is.

I used.some regular MM in my ham glaze (brown sugar, honey, soy, mustard, butterfly).  I'm just surprised you had a 375 of regular Woodford just sitting around.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Clueby said:

I'm just surprised you had a 375 of regular Woodford just sitting around.

I got it for free because it was mail ordered with another bottle as a store pick Woodford 375ml for $20.

It was not a store pick that I received.

They refunded me and told me to keep it.

It helped make a fantastic ham, and the remainder was drank today in an attempt to make my family slightly more tolerable.  It's been working quite effectively.

:)

Screwy day of work today, so I cracked a VOB90 and poured one for the desktop and another to sit in the freezer. Testing to see if it is worthy of the upcoming season's freezer pour. Nice proof for it; hoping it adds to the viscosity.

• I like it 2

Pirates are in town for the Nats home opener today.  Just like on opening day, I got up early to get chores + miscellaneous done before the 4 PM start. Settled in with a new 4R SmB Select.  It's been a few months since I've had any; I forgot how complex and relatively sweet this is.

Thanks to you commenters on Holladay.  I've paid no attention to it; now, I'll keep my eyes open.  I sure hope I don't forget why I've stopped blinking.🙄

• I like it 3

Cracked a 1792 Full Proof tonight, never had it before. Really enjoying so far. 

• I like it 2

On 3/29/2024 at 8:58 PM, Kepler said:

Were you able to do the SBS comparison between the 5 and 6 year?  What did you think?

The Remus opened  just now; pour in freezer waiting on my return. Tax day for me.😬

The rest, earlier in the week. Not to worry, the VOB mostly sits in my freezer bottle, so I didn't pull a bender.

weekx4.jpg.1b60f6ba93671f4a2799eaaf88768fe3.jpg

• I like it 6

8 hours ago, meadeweber said:

Were you able to do the SBS comparison between the 5 and 6 year?  What did you think?

That's my plan for friday pours.  Will post either here or over in the Rye thread.

On 4/1/2024 at 4:40 PM, bayouredd said:

Screwy day of work today, so I cracked a VOB90 and poured one for the desktop and another to sit in the freezer. Testing to see if it is worthy of the upcoming season's freezer pour. Nice proof for it; hoping it adds to the viscosity.

..and??

Is it freezer worthy?

Ok, color me flummoxed. Why are we freezing whiskey?? This, to me, is treatment reserved for that handle of jack you make jack and cokes with.  Enlighten me

32 minutes ago, roseonthenose said:

Ok, color me flummoxed. Why are we freezing whiskey?? This, to me, is treatment reserved for that handle of jack you make jack and cokes with.  Enlighten me

Go buy a FRYL and stick it in the freezer. Pull it out on the next warm day.. your questions will be answered. Its like candy.

everyone on here has their favorite freezer bourbon. I enjoy WSR quite a bit.

• I like it 5