What bottle did you open today? - 2024

On 2/26/2024 at 8:14 PM, mbroo5880i said:

Unfortunately, at Kroger, Fireball is in the locked case while ECBP and RittBIB are on the shelf.  😀

The stuff in the locked case is not there because it's good.  It's there because that's what the shoplifters want - flavored Crown, Grey Goose.  :ph34r: 

Meanwhile, all kinds of expensive whiskey/whisky out there on the end cap.  Knuckleheads don't even know what it is.

• I like it 3

On 2/27/2024 at 5:07 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

{I cut the the pic from the OP for space reasons.]

About a month or so ago, I posted on SB re: my recent experience with a "new" ER 10 vs. a bunkered ER 10 w/ a 10 star neckband.  IIRC, I noted that I thought  the latest ERs are as complex and robust as the old 10 star neckband ERs from pre 2015 and maybe creamier/smoother than the old ones.  I stopped buying it about 2017 as the few I found then were exceptionally woody and one dimensional.  I think they may be back to their old selves.  I'll pick up and consume a few more before I make up my mind.

NON SEQUITUR - And now, for something completely different (to copy a phrase) - tonight it is a bunkered KC 100 9YR with dust on its shoulders.   Was cleaning out a corner of the furnace/work/storage room to cut down on the fire hazards  (and to locate any dusty that struck my fancy since I ran out of OGD BIB in my trash can stash).  THIS KC 100 9YR circa 2013(?) will do nicely.  The price sticker says "$21.99".  I think it has been down in the bunker with a few brethren (which are still dusty) since 2013 or 2014.

ASIDE - I really oughta use a glass . . .

I assume the bunkered KC did not disappoint!

7 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

I assume the bunkered KC did not disappoint!

I’ve only tasted about a third of the bottle.  So far, it is hitting all spots.🙂

• I like it 1

On 2/27/2024 at 12:31 PM, Double C's said:

this one I bought was in the red box. I was expecting the see the label with the gold 101 font, so I will see if there is anything on the bottle to indicate bottling date.

I will miss the gold lettering on those bottles.

• I like it 1

Opened a Weller SR this evening. 😋

IMG_5566.jpeg.e1f15d45333608247aae416cbd68d241.jpeg

• I like it 3

16 hours ago, Kepler said:

I will miss the gold lettering on those bottles.

I will, too.  ☹️  I’m not shy to admit that handsome packaging of a whiskey bottle can make me enjoy the whiskey even more.  Such was the case with 101.  Plus, the presentation was so nice (as well as quality bourbon) that it has become my gift bottle.  I’ve gifted many of them.  I guess I’ll have to bunker a number of them for that reason, and keep an empty around to decant the new label whiskey into for personal consumption.  🤪

This change to the standard Maker’s bottles with paper label package sometime after releasing a new iteration seems to be their MO, it appears.  Cask Strength, 46, and now 101 have all gone this route.  BTW, I keep an old 46 bottle around for the same decanting purposes…😁

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Opened a Weller SR this evening. 😋

IMG_5566.jpeg.e1f15d45333608247aae416cbd68d241.jpeg

Joe, you never looked better!

Prost!!  Phil 

• I like it 3

Opened a couple of good ones this evening. I clearly opened the VOB before opening the OWA. Ha.

Pat

image.thumb.jpeg.2b0bcb5bcdee8558ea77a8748cf19136.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.335cf2b1ae352f25ff9c666c367b6ffa.jpeg

• I like it 8

3 hours ago, Patrick_OKC said:

Opened a couple of good ones this evening. I clearly opened the VOB before opening the OWA. Ha.

Pat

image.thumb.jpeg.2b0bcb5bcdee8558ea77a8748cf19136.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.335cf2b1ae352f25ff9c666c367b6ffa.jpeg

Wow!!

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I will, too.  ☹️  I’m not shy to admit that handsome packaging of a whiskey bottle can make me enjoy the whiskey even more.  Such was the case with 101.  Plus, the presentation was so nice (as well as quality bourbon) that it has become my gift bottle.  I’ve gifted many of them.  I guess I’ll have to bunker a number of them for that reason, and keep an empty around to decant the new label whiskey into for personal consumption.  🤪

This change to the standard Maker’s bottles with paper label package sometime after releasing a new iteration seems to be their MO, it appears.  Cask Strength, 46, and now 101 have all gone this route.  BTW, I keep an old 46 bottle around for the same decanting purposes…😁

Great idea as a gift bottle, wish I'd thought of that.

I'm with you on the effect that a quality bottle can have on the enjoyment of a particular whiskey, if the quality of the liquid matches the packaging.  I'm also a big fan of the original M46 premium bottle design ... I never found the CS before they switched to the new "standard" bottle with the paper label, but I did squirrel away a 375ml size of the regular 46 just because I dig the looks of that older original 46 bottle. 🤷‍♂️

For me, it's just hard to beat a hotel room fresh crack.

WT W.B. Saffell makes for the perfect long weekend / short vacation bottle.

20240301_220028.thumb.jpg.b580cb9876250591a82240683f6f5821.jpg

Edited by Kepler
my OCD made me fix Saffell with 2 L's
  • I like it 7

34 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Nope. No way. Ain’t gonna do it. Not gonna go there.  🤦🏻 🙊🤐 

• I like it 4

6 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Nope. No way. Ain’t gonna do it. Not gonna go there.  🤦🏻 🙊🤐 

Get yo' mind outta the gutter Joe! :lol:

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I normally don’t buy 1.75’s. One exception is MM. A couple of places here usually have handles of MM at a good price. I keep a MM 750 to decant in from the handles. I never thought about decanting a 750 in to another 750. I too am a fan of the gold label MM 101’s. Looks like I’ll be keeping an empty gold label MM 101 to decant in to. Thanks for the idea @smokinjoe.  😎

IMG_3838.thumb.jpeg.97157622b2103e9f76fb20781a8f199b.jpeg

• I like it 2

43 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Get yo' mind outta the gutter Joe! :lol:

Sheesh @Kepler. It wasn’t me that was talking about a fresh crack in a hotel room.🤷🏻‍♂️

• I like it 2

4 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Sheesh @Kepler. It wasn’t me that was talking about a fresh crack in a hotel room.🤷🏻‍♂️

True ... I own that 😆

• I like it 1

15 minutes ago, Kepler said:

True ... I own that 😆

It’s been a long “meh” week.  Thanks for playing.  You made me smile @Kepler. 😁 👍

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Same.

I didn't realize the 101 had changed.  I have one of those nice looking golden lettered bottles on the bar that's almost empty.   I have it's replacement that was in a box so I just checked and , sure enough, it's the paper label.    I'll decant it into the embossed bottle.

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, Kepler said:

WT W.B. Saffell makes for the perfect long weekend / short vacation bottle.

20240301_220028.thumb.jpg.b580cb9876250591a82240683f6f5821.jpg

Is WT still releasing those.  I have not seen one in a long time.

Wilderness Trail Family Reserve, store pick SiB, 111 proof, 4 years 7 months.  Label says sweet mash which I’m guessing means no measurable backset.  For 111 proof, this tastes pretty creamy and sweet with only a little heat.  I’ve had a half dozen or so Wild Trail releases and have liked them all.  No funny pot still nickel note in this one.  I think I bought this last year.  64% corn, 24% rye, 12% malted barley but was surprisingly sweet with no hint of “youth”.  Beer was from a single fermented batch and was barreled at 110 proof with #4 char.

I wish I’d tasted this when I bought it as its barrel brethren are long gone.

• I like it 2

Well, it was technically last Monday when we had the 2024 Pappy/BTAC tasting with all 11 of this year's allocation.  Shared the samples with 90+ of our closest friends - finishing up Go Whiskey Week today and tomorrow.  Started out this morning with Breakfast in Asia (dim sum at the local Chinese restaurant) sponsored by Suntory, all day's worth of seminars, and finishing off tonite with a "Meet and Greet" tasting with some of the biggest names in the business.  It's been a great week, but I'm getting old and can't keep up with these young pups.  🥳

2024 Pappy Tasting.jpg

Oh yeah, the concensus winners Monday nite (in no particular order) were PVW15, WLW, GTS, ER17 and VWFRR13 with ORVW10 and THH finishing a close second.  My memory is still a little foggy from the end of that night . . . . 🤣

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 11

Frank, I sure hope you got paid for wearing that shirt.B)

REPRISE on the WildTrail I opened and posted about a few hours ago - just had some with some water added.  It drops proof wonderfully by opening up a whole new range of flavors.  LOTS of fruit.  Cant match Frank's experience, but then . . ,. this is NOT a contest.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 1

1 minute ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Frank, I sure hope you got paid for wearing that shirt.B)

Harry,

It's a sweater and I can only wear if on "Ugly Christmas Sweater Day" and the L&K Pappy/BTAC Tasting - I do what SWMBO tells me to do . . . .  🤪

• I like it 3

45 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

Harry,

It's a sweater and I can only wear if on "Ugly Christmas Sweater Day" and the L&K Pappy/BTAC Tasting - I do what SWMBO tells me to do . . . .  🤪

AH!!  THAT explains it.  I, too, as you know, answer to a SWMBO.  I have a section in my closet of things (1) I want to wear but am forbidden to wear in public and (2) I must wear on demand when we go out even if I don't want to.   Life is tough and explains why all those pictures from South Florida show little old men sitting on benches with other little old men. hahahahaha.

• I like it 2

Happy Bottled In Bond day!

20240303_144735.jpg

• I like it 4