What bottle did you open today? - 2024

19 minutes ago, roseonthenose said:

Ok, color me flummoxed. Why are we freezing whiskey?? This, to me, is treatment reserved for that handle of jack you make jack and cokes with.  Enlighten me

Warm weather is coming. After mowing your lawn or doing yard work, etc… a pour from a freezer bottle can be pretty refreshing.  🥵  🥃 Also, some folks don’t care for ice in their drink. This way you can have a nice cold pour without  the bother of ice, and having a watered down drink. Win-win! 

• I like it 7

18 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

..and??

Is it freezer worthy?

ABSOLUTELY!!!

Have a 375 freezing up in the bullpen, now. I really like this bourbon and have found it easy to get at a certain local store. The freezer X-10ed it. So for the upcoming holiday season, it's my pick.

I know Smokin Joe likes this bottle and I hope he gives it the freezer try...

1 hour ago, roseonthenose said:

Ok, color me flummoxed. Why are we freezing whiskey?? This, to me, is treatment reserved for that handle of jack you make jack and cokes with.  Enlighten me

First of all, see Faster Horses reply above. Secondly, alcohol doesn't freeze at these temps, but it gives it a more creamy mouthfeel.

The experts here sold me on this and since, I keep something in the freezer during the warm/hot months...

Edited by bayouredd
  • I like it 4

29 minutes ago, bayouredd said:

ABSOLUTELY!!!

Have a 375 freezing up in the bullpen, now. I really like this bourbon and have found it easy to get at a certain local store. The freezer X-10ed it. So for the upcoming holiday season, it's my pick.

I know Smokin Joe likes this bottle and I hope he gives it the freezer try...

First of all, see Faster Horses reply above. Secondly, alcohol doesn't freeze at these temps, but it gives it a more creamy mouthfeel.

The experts here sold me on this and since, I keep something in the freezer during the warm/hot months...

I figured as much😉

I only have room for one bottle in our freezer and Mellow Corn is the whiskey of choice.   It's pretty much the only way that I'll drink it, regardless of the season.    My bourbon buddies laugh, but I love that cheap, oily corn-forward goodness and the freezer amplifies it.

• I like it 3

3 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I figured as much😉

I only have room for one bottle in our freezer and Mellow Corn is the whiskey of choice.   It's pretty much the only way that I'll drink it, regardless of the season.    My bourbon buddies laugh, but I love that cheap, oily corn-forward goodness and the freezer amplifies it.

I like the taste of Mello Corn, but unfortunately we had a bout over here with the gang & it summoned the spirit of slow gin!!! 🤢

2 hours ago, bayouredd said:

I like the taste of Mello Corn, but unfortunately we had a bout over here with the gang & it summoned the spirit of slow gin!!! 🤢

Dang!

Don’t like regular Makers at all, but I was told to try this before I give up on it!

IMG_3506.jpeg

On 4/4/2024 at 9:04 AM, meadeweber said:

Were you able to do the SBS comparison between the 5 and 6 year?  What did you think?

Okay yes I did SBS on two occasions -- when I first opened the new 6 year and then again last night for my Fryday pours.  My feedback:

I would definitely give a *very slight* edge to the 6 year over the 5 year, but the difference is so close. 

The only "big" advantage that the 6 has over the 5 is on the nose:  the depth that the extra year in the barrel makes for a much more pleasant nose, with clear notes of oak creeping into the experience that the 5 year just does not provide.

The palate taste and the finish are only slight (but still noticeable) wins for the 6 yr compared to the 5 yr. 

On balance, my verdict is that I would not pass over the 5 yr BiB if I saw it on the shelf at MSRP.  But for the same (or close to the same) price, I recommend the newer 6 year BiB.

Now, let's talk about price.  Which, btw, might vary considerably in different parts of the country. 

I paid only $52-54 for the previous release 5 Year BiB in 2023.  I thought that was a fair price for Sagamore's own in-house distillate.

This year, I recently had to pay $65ish for the newer 6 Year BiB.  I get it, Bidenflation and all that.   BUT:  having tasted them both in a SBS, ... if I saw them both on the shelf today for those prices I'd probably recommend that you snag the 5 year at yesterday's prices over the 6 year at today's prices.   (IF you are actually lucky enough to see yesterday's prices).  Pro tip 😉

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 1

I opened this over the weekend.

The price kinda stinks, but the bourbon really does it for me.  Very happy with this one!

IMG_8596.jpeg

• I like it 9

2 hours ago, 0895 said:

I opened this over the weekend.

The price kinda stinks, but the bourbon really does it for me.  Very happy with this one!

IMG_8596.jpeg

Totally agree

• I like it 1

My first bottle of this new Barrell offering.  If you're not familiar with it, it's a 100-proof bourbon blended with distillate from Kentucky, Indiana, Tennessee, and Maryland, from 5 to 9 years old.  It was also $50 bucks for me, rather than the $80 I am used to paying for BCS blended batches in the past.  The lower proof and lower age no doubt make the lower price possible.  But, I also think that the marketing people are trying to expand the Barrell-buying population of bourbon drinkers.

The color is very nice, and the aroma is very pleasant, although somewhat muted compared to some of BCS's other products.  Then, a good mouthfeel accompanied by many of my favorite bourbon flavors.  Classic bourbon notes with some fruit mixed in.  Fairly sweet, but with some nice spice as well (23% rye in the mashbill).  A medium finish wraps it up.  Bottom line: I like it, plenty.  (My wife concurs.)  This bourbon will have a regular place in my cabinet.  If you have a positive relationship with past Barrell offerings, I recommend that you try this bottle.  Cheers!

Barrell Foundation.jpg

• I like it 4

One of my last unopened dusties I picked up back in 2014, a 375 mL National Distillers Old Grand Dad Bottled in Bond, Aged 8 Years and bottled in 1990.  Cracked it to save a sample bottles worth (I want to review it later) and share it with some folks in Bardstown in a few weeks.  Store had two, both of which I bought and the other was a delicious butterscotch bomb - so hoping this doesn't disappoint :) 

Before.thumb.jpg.b0fe5f7317526cb304ff1a476dfb7352.jpg     After.thumb.jpg.4ebb5713a15f8bd0aecbff20208c4a05.jpg

• I like it 12

Trying out 2 one ouncers today. A rye that was both a gift and a recommendation.

And Still Austin 4y CS. The story: A friend who is visiting this weekend has tried both JMCB and [2y] Still Austin CS. He loves them both. He is a Fraley Fan, big time. A client lives near the distillery in Austin and snagged a few bottles of the 4y CS. One shall go home with my friend (along with a JMCB). I thought I'd open one now so he could try it after it breathed for a few days. He does not know the 4y exists. Can't wait to try it side by side with 2y.

This stuff is fun.

Jeff Rye & SACS 4y.jpg

• I like it 2

Four Gate BRBN Downunder. Interesting whiskey.  

5E5407F8-8938-4631-9E74-D4A26848C034.jpeg

• I like it 1

On 4/17/2024 at 4:23 PM, markandrex said:

image0.jpeg

How does the Generations compare to the RR13?  I only have one bottle of the Generations so I have not opened it yet:}. 

Thanks

VWIndy

1 hour ago, VWIndy said:

How does the Generations compare to the RR13?  I only have one bottle of the Generations so I have not opened it yet:}. 

Thanks

VWIndy

The Generations is elegant.  Ignoring the price, it is a very refined WT expression, nothing like any other WT I have had in 50+ years.  The age is evident, the proof is not.  
Nose:  orange peel, baking spices, rich dark cherry, cream brûlée, black pepper and candied ginger.

Palate: All of the above but drifts into honey, vanilla and the tongue tingle of cayenne.

Finish: Crème brûlée, baking spice and graham crackers.  The tongue tingle lasts for a long time.  
In a blind comparison, I am not certain that I would identify it as WT.  It needs to be savored and enjoyed.

I love RR13 but it is a much bolder expression of WT. It is a “in your face” WT, no question, with a lot of the above listed notes but amped up to grab your attention.

My preference would depend on my mood.  

• I like it 3

New arrival; initial tasting is promising!  $35 for port-finished bourbon isn't insane (which in and of itself is cause for celebration, no?)  Detailed review hopefully in the next week!

IMG_20240419_174517.thumb.jpg.db2479e5236881584e45dcc9681359e0.jpg

• I like it 3

On 4/10/2024 at 5:03 PM, Swamp55 said:

My first bottle of this new Barrell offering.  If you're not familiar with it, it's a 100-proof bourbon blended with distillate from Kentucky, Indiana, Tennessee, and Maryland, from 5 to 9 years old.  It was also $50 bucks for me, rather than the $80 I am used to paying for BCS blended batches in the past.  The lower proof and lower age no doubt make the lower price possible.  But, I also think that the marketing people are trying to expand the Barrell-buying population of bourbon drinkers.

The color is very nice, and the aroma is very pleasant, although somewhat muted compared to some of BCS's other products.  Then, a good mouthfeel accompanied by many of my favorite bourbon flavors.  Classic bourbon notes with some fruit mixed in.  Fairly sweet, but with some nice spice as well (23% rye in the mashbill).  A medium finish wraps it up.  Bottom line: I like it, plenty.  (My wife concurs.)  This bourbon will have a regular place in my cabinet.  If you have a positive relationship with past Barrell offerings, I recommend that you try this bottle.  Cheers!

Barrell Foundation.jpg

I tried a sample of this recently and I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment.  If I didn't already possess a bunker-full of Barrell cask strength batches, I would definitely run (not walk) to my local store to grab one of these.

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 1

On 4/19/2024 at 5:22 PM, GaryT said:

New arrival; initial tasting is promising!  $35 for port-finished bourbon isn't insane (which in and of itself is cause for celebration, no?)  Detailed review hopefully in the next week!

Nice photo 👍

• I like it 1

On 4/19/2024 at 6:22 PM, GaryT said:

I have a tasting at Lux Row Friday afternoon, I wonder if this will be part of the line-up? I hope so as you said its promising, I expect good things.

15 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

I have a tasting at Lux Row Friday afternoon, I wonder if this will be part of the line-up? I hope so as you said its promising, I expect good things.

I'm going to bring the bottle to Bardstown so you're welcome to try it! 

• I like it 1