What bottle did you open today? - 2024

Eeny, meeny, miny….

IMG_4376.thumb.jpeg.1551a311ed7b62224ccbb8145ea60455.jpeg

• I like it 5

IMG_6541.jpeg.d39dc70ed1a4f94edcf0ca8ac5c7a49d.jpeg

IMG_4384.thumb.jpeg.5e12cda1b1ec43a479bfceb100880324.jpeg

• I like it 2

54 minutes ago, Wedelstaedt said:

A restart of the brand, I speculate this means HH’s stocks are on the rebound. I hope this brand makes a return to its former glory. Those bottles from 2004 and earlier are sublime. (Yes, I admit it, I’m a Evan Williams SiB fanboy). 

Cheers

Me too.  This one used to be an affordable staple when I first got into bourbon, along with WT101, KC9, EWBiB, MM90, OF86/100, and EC12 (EC12 is gone for now, anyway 🤞). 

I'm so glad and encouraged that EWSiB is making a comeback.

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

IMG_6541.jpeg.d39dc70ed1a4f94edcf0ca8ac5c7a49d.jpeg

IMG_4384.thumb.jpeg.5e12cda1b1ec43a479bfceb100880324.jpeg

Moe, Now that’s funny. 😀

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Moe, Now that’s funny. 😀

That’s literally what I did to pick which bottle to open. Not that it mattered, cause they’re all good. 😝

• I like it 4

Posted (edited)

Cross post from the "drinking" thread.

Mrs. Skinsfan is having the Old Fashioned,  with WT101 as the base...I'm too lazy to post her drink in the cocktails thread😈

20240505_144956.jpg

20240505_144256.jpg

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 2

This is a very nice craft bourbon for only 44 bucks.  Nice flavors.  Thanks for the heads up  @mbroo5880i.  Good call 👍

20240510_193442.thumb.jpg.b3a887c38c0935c4a1f68e35c4e15a32.jpg

• I like it 2

32 minutes ago, Kepler said:

This is a very nice craft bourbon for only 44 bucks.  Nice flavors.  Thanks for the heads up  @mbroo5880i.  Good call 👍

20240510_193442.thumb.jpg.b3a887c38c0935c4a1f68e35c4e15a32.jpg

Is it as dark as it appears in the photo?  

Cheers

1 minute ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Is it as dark as it appears in the photo?  

Cheers

I would say my room had low light conditions.  But it has nice colors.  Looks like a typical 6-8 yr KSBW such as WT101, ECSmB NAS or 1792 SmB.

• I like it 1

4 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I would say my room had low light conditions.  But it has nice colors.  Looks like a typical 6-8 yr KSBW such as WT101, ECSmB NAS or 1792 SmB.

Hmmmm.  These days, 6-8 yrs for $44, is a solid bargain. If, it is that old. Anyway, it sounds like I need to keep an eye out. 
Have a great weekend. 

Cheers

• I like it 1

6 minutes ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Hmmmm.  These days, 6-8 yrs for $44, is a solid bargain. If, it is that old. Anyway, it sounds like I need to keep an eye out. 
Have a great weekend. 

Cheers

I think this Hard Truth is more like 4 years old, but it has nice color.  NCF too.

• I like it 3

My first Rendezvous. I have had  several Double Ryes, and enjoyed those. So this could be a treat. 🤞

Happy FRyeday.

C6A7154F-D2BE-44AD-B2FF-0C62BBB5F15A.thumb.jpeg.feb9fe01042e9962c1342c45f8eec5aa.jpeg

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

My first Rendezvous. I have had  several Double Ryes, and enjoyed those. So this could be a treat. 🤞

Happy FRyeday.

C6A7154F-D2BE-44AD-B2FF-0C62BBB5F15A.thumb.jpeg.feb9fe01042e9962c1342c45f8eec5aa.jpeg

Dang.. a 2015!  New purchase or from the bunker?

11 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Dang.. a 2015!  New purchase or from the bunker?

Yes, a recent purchase. I found the bottle in December. I was happy,  to say the least. It was priced about normal. It didn’t look like a sleepy store, the store  certainly wasn’t out of the way, I was a bit surprised to find a 2015  on the shelf.  I wonder, if older bottles such as this one, are in a storage room, behind a case of vodka, just waiting to be discovered and put out to sell. 🤷‍♂️ 

Cheers. 

• I like it 1

On 5/11/2024 at 6:41 PM, Wedelstaedt said:

Yes, a recent purchase. I found the bottle in December. I was happy,  to say the least. It was priced about normal. It didn’t look like a sleepy store, the store  certainly wasn’t out of the way, I was a bit surprised to find a 2015  on the shelf.  I wonder, if older bottles such as this one, are in a storage room, behind a case of vodka, just waiting to be discovered and put out to sell. 🤷‍♂️ 

Cheers. 

Ive found a few like that that have seemed to appear out if nowhere last year. A case of charter 101 and a belle meade single barrel 9 yr.

Both at the same store, so i figure its kind of like youre surmising. Very cool when it happens. Congrats on your great find!

Edited by FasterHorses

On 4/16/2024 at 1:16 PM, Anwalt said:

Trying out 2 one ouncers today. A rye that was both a gift and a recommendation.

And Still Austin 4y CS. The story: A friend who is visiting this weekend has tried both JMCB and [2y] Still Austin CS. He loves them both. He is a Fraley Fan, big time. A client lives near the distillery in Austin and snagged a few bottles of the 4y CS. One shall go home with my friend (along with a JMCB). I thought I'd open one now so he could try it after it breathed for a few days. He does not know the 4y exists. Can't wait to try it side by side with 2y.

This stuff is fun.

Jeff Rye & SACS 4y.jpg

Hey @Anwalt, Nancy here. Sorry I'm just now seeing your post, but if your friend is a fan and is interested, please tell him that I'm running an experiment through the end of this year with the Still Austin Nancy's Picks. Starting in July, I'm taking two 6 year-old cask strength barrels one number apart from each other that come from the same fermentation date, distillation date, barrel entry date and as well as same barrel entry proof (118), same bottling date. The barrels are also as from the same warehouse, use the same cooperage (yard seasoned 53 gls ICS char #3), etc. The only difference will be how they matured in their respective barrels in the rick house. 

Each "experiment" will be as a unit and released over the course of a two month period. Thus for example, barrel #20 from lot 2018-0521 will be released on July 1st, while barrel #21 from that same lot will be released on August 1st. I plan to do a "unit" of two consecutively numbered barrels for September and October, and probably for November and December as well. 

I did this experiment for the months of March and April, but unfortunately it wasn't well publicized, so I don't know how many folks were able to compare them. I was shocked by just how much variation in flavor and in proof there was between those two barrels. 

At any rate, I'm trying to show that there actually can be a lot of variation between how Bourbon barrels mature in a Texas environment, assuming of course that the Bourbon is produced in the more "traditional" and less "funky" TX way. 😉 

Don't know if it was your client or your friend's client that lives in Austin, but at any rate I thought your friend might be interested in both the 6 yr age statement and the experiment itself and could have the client pick up a bottle. 

Cheers!

Nancy

• I like it 5