Empty Bottle Suport Group 2024

Harry in WashDC

Accumulated empties over the past few weeks.

The 21 Blanton's was a good barrel and this one redeemed the brand for me after a couple of meh barrels from the couple of years prior.

WT8 import was a purchase from several years ago that I drank over time. Got this bottle from whisky exchange in probably 2016 or 17.  I have one more of these bottles in my bunker ... when I'm in the mood it's a unique experience but I definitely prefer domestic 101 NAS over this. 

WP15 Estate Specs pick is miles better than the regular shelf WP15 (I compared in sbs) but still not worth the price (is any WP worth the price?). I do enjoy it though and it compares fairly well to other ryes as long as you ignore price. I have another.

WTr wheated CS is quite solid, significantly better than the bib.  MM101/CS and BBC Origins deliver a similar experience for less however. Ymmv.

20240317_120238.jpg.558dd21fadb455d14dc73b5bb73b35cc.jpg

• I like it 8

This was a pick from Specs, damn good. 
IMG_7009.thumb.jpeg.39c8d318ade801da837a9ca894f8dea2.jpegIMG_7010.thumb.jpeg.7171f9b49c532f08d4b37da95c9508e2.jpeg

• I like it 4

A bottle of BT gave up its last this evening. Earlier this week, it was  NOT a liter of J.W. Dant. It was a liter of my HH BIB Blend. Sorry, no label. 🤷  As y’all can see, I have more of my HH BIB Blend waiting in the wings. To be continued…..🙃

IMG_3957.thumb.jpeg.675373b04dff335f49888053ba0f2d5d.jpeg

• I like it 3

On 3/18/2024 at 7:53 PM, LCWoody said:

IMG_7009.thumb.jpeg.39c8d318ade801da837a9ca894f8dea2.jpegIMG_7010.thumb.jpeg.7171f9b49c532f08d4b37da95c9508e2.jpeg

Nice!

I have a bottle from a pick that a buddy of mine did and your assessment is spot-on .  It is damn good.

On 3/18/2024 at 6:53 PM, LCWoody said:

IMG_7010.thumb.jpeg.7171f9b49c532f08d4b37da95c9508e2.jpeg

12 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Nice!

I have a bottle from a pick that a buddy of mine did and your assessment is spot-on .  It is damn good.

I tried a Backbone MGP bourbon but it was a drain pour for me.  Granted it was not a Spec's store pick, just a "standard" one and only 4 or 5 years old IIRC.   MGP quality varied widely.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

I tried a Backbone MGP bourbon but it was a drain pour for me.  Granted it was not a Spec's store pick, just a "standard" one and only 4 or 5 years old IIRC.   MGP quality varied widely.

MGP has I forgot how many different mash bills.  Also, besides the age, I believe a lot can depend how and where the barrels are stored.  Managing a warehouse to age barrels is an art unto itself.   

• I like it 3

3 minutes ago, PaulO said:

MGP has I forgot how many different mash bills.  Also, besides the age, I believe a lot can depend how and where the barrels are stored.  Managing a warehouse to age barrels is an art unto itself.   

Yep.  It seems like the really great MGP-sourced brands age their barrels at their own location (Smooth Ambler et al)...

• I like it 3

This was a tasty store pick. Hit the spot on what was a lousy night, weather wise.

IMG_0800.jpeg

• I like it 3

On 3/13/2024 at 7:14 PM, smokinjoe said:

She gone.  😢

3B7457E0-8CB2-45EB-AA4D-6834310AE039.jpeg

I gave witness here when I emptied this kid a couple weeks ago.  Good news is that I was able to refill from a family size.  Bad news is that the family size is now gone….🤪

F95F9CFF-BE24-4B65-A719-BE66B878971A.jpeg

• I like it 8

One down, many, many to go.

image1.jpeg

• I like it 5

2 hours ago, markandrex said:

One down, many, many to go.

I gotta remember that one. 👍😉

An empty handle of MM is headed to the blue bin here. 

• I like it 1

The latest empties have made their final march down the driveway in the big blue bin.

The MM101 continues to please me.  IMO, this is the proof sweet spot for MM and I prefer this to either standard MM or the CS.  I’m glad that this seems easy to find nowadays.  Like others, though, I miss the cool gold-lettered bottles.  (I have one in the bunker for next Christmas season.)

The BBC Origin Series BiB (the wheated) was my first bottle of this one, and I was a tad disappointed, actually.  Not that it was bad – not at all.  I was just expecting a bit more.  As a comparison, I like any of the recent Fusion Series bottlings I have had (7, 8, and 9) better than this.  Of course, the Fusion bottles are an extra $10.  But, to me, the extra coin is worth it.  (Soon, I know, I will find no more Fusion bottles around.)

The JM is one I always enjoy.  So rich tasting and distinctive.  Everyone I have ever served this to has had a “wow” reaction to it.

The Remus RR Series IV was one that was hiding in the back of my bunker after I had already had the Series V, VI, and VII.  Really nice.  Quality MGP bourbon.  I wish I had more of this one.

RY10…well, OK, R10 is a personal favorite of mine.  I think it’s a great example of a wheated bourbon with adequate aging.  A bourbon whose only drawback for me is the C-note that a bottle sets me back.

WR, my old friend.  One of the three bourbons (along with MM and KC9) that were my introduction, many years ago, to whiskey above the bottom shelf.  I still get an occasional hankering for this one, although I’m more likely to reach for the WRDO these days.  Makes a great Belmont Jewel cocktail (look it up) which is the official cocktail of the Belmont Stakes horse race.

Empty Bottles 032724.jpg

• I like it 4

5 hours ago, Swamp55 said:

The latest empties have made their final march down the driveway in the big blue bin.

The MM101 continues to please me.  IMO, this is the proof sweet spot for MM and I prefer this to either standard MM or the CS.  I’m glad that this seems easy to find nowadays.  Like others, though, I miss the cool gold-lettered bottles.  (I have one in the bunker for next Christmas season.)

The BBC Origin Series BiB (the wheated) was my first bottle of this one, and I was a tad disappointed, actually.  Not that it was bad – not at all.  I was just expecting a bit more.  As a comparison, I like any of the recent Fusion Series bottlings I have had (7, 8, and 9) better than this.  Of course, the Fusion bottles are an extra $10.  But, to me, the extra coin is worth it.  (Soon, I know, I will find no more Fusion bottles around.)

The JM is one I always enjoy.  So rich tasting and distinctive.  Everyone I have ever served this to has had a “wow” reaction to it.

The Remus RR Series IV was one that was hiding in the back of my bunker after I had already had the Series V, VI, and VII.  Really nice.  Quality MGP bourbon.  I wish I had more of this one.

RY10…well, OK, R10 is a personal favorite of mine.  I think it’s a great example of a wheated bourbon with adequate aging.  A bourbon whose only drawback for me is the C-note that a bottle sets me back.

WR, my old friend.  One of the three bourbons (along with MM and KC9) that were my introduction, many years ago, to whiskey above the bottom shelf.  I still get an occasional hankering for this one, although I’m more likely to reach for the WRDO these days.  Makes a great Belmont Jewel cocktail (look it up) which is the official cocktail of the Belmont Stakes horse race.

Empty Bottles 032724.jpg

Good reporting.  I'm also a big fan of RY10 and MM101.  In fact when I finish my current open bottle of MM101 I think I'll replace its space on the shelf with a RY10 from my bunker.

20240329_133625.thumb.jpg.6cbcac170f3b8cf0601fc83b76630536.jpg

More empties.  I have multiple backups of the Saffel and the 16 HWRR 375s.  I probably wouldn't buy another Bernheim.  As others have said, its not bad but it just doesn't have enough going on to make it an interesting pour.  I probably would buy another Sag DO eventually but I don't plan to replace it anytime soon.  Too many other ryes out there I'm more interested to try first.

• I like it 3

Alas, I will have no more empties going to the blue bin. Our city has decided to change to new garbage and recycle containers for all residents. They are more uniform and will make it easier for the garbage trucks to use their grab arms on. We haven’t received ours yet. We went to an estate sale today, and these had just been delivered.

IMG_4092.thumb.jpeg.0fd8ddc35bb9e728f7d22c908fac7a2a.jpeg

4 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Alas, I will have no more empties going to the blue bin. Our city has decided to change to new garbage and recycle containers for all residents. They are more uniform and will make it easier for the garbage trucks to use their grab arms on. We haven’t received ours yet. We went to an estate sale today, and these had just been delivered.

Thanks for the update.  I was wondering about that. 😆

On 3/27/2024 at 5:07 PM, Swamp55 said:

Makes a great Belmont Jewel cocktail (look it up) which is the official cocktail of the Belmont Stakes horse race

Gonna do that right now.

• I like it 2

IWH 15y gone as I’m fixing to put some steaks on the pit. 
For the money ($80)  I always try to keep one on hand. Nothing spectacular but some really good wood flavors for the age. 

IMG_7118.jpeg

• I like it 1

14 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

IWH 15y gone as I’m fixing to put some steaks on the pit. 
For the money ($80)  I always try to keep one on hand. Nothing spectacular but some really good wood flavors for the age. 

Agree.  In fact I have one on deck to open soon.

• I like it 1

Self-Inflicted Empties...

Started the pours today with bottles that were given a last chance. I knew I didn't like them, but 1 more try, then the sink.

1st one was a LS pick of ECBP. This one hurt but I gave it mucho chances. Cork wasn't sealed very well when I got it and I should have taken it back. Too lazy, so the sink was closer.

An Alberta Premier Rye, WR Wheat Whiskey & Cooper's Mark followed suit. These don't need explaining; at least not for me. The best thing they have done was clear shelf space...

• I like it 1

Bottles.thumb.jpg.2b2d6b4281e3473fc658c8f7f3c0eb93.jpg

No photo art here. Just tossing the empties from the past few months. In my "drinking days" this would be a couple weeks. :)  The pappy was a slow sipper and came to a finish after the holdiays were I had a chance to share with a couple of buddies. 

• I like it 7

Retiring my IWH decanter after 6 or so years. I never was comfortable with handling it as it seemed cumbersome. It did have a healthy pour of GW4G, so here we go.

Just got the JEP Decanter and will replace the old with that. I like the feel of it and am anxious to try the juice inside...

iwh.thumb.jpg.772f5ba593a4b8accc1981e5ae9651e3.jpg

• I like it 2

On 4/1/2024 at 9:02 PM, FasterHorses said:

IMG_6041.thumb.jpeg.ad7add67b7c83c2b2959f3e55413a2f8.jpeg

Is it just me or does that CEHT Rye not like empty?  Maybe it's just the lighting?

But good work on some great bottles.