22 hours ago, Clueby said:

We finished the Bowman SB tonight. It's been a busy December and January! 😳

20240215_194900.jpg

20240215_211029.jpg

Damn son! 

Good work

• I like it 2

19 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I definitely hear you about double barrels (especially double-barreled bourbons, which don't need the extra sweetness that the second barrel provides) ... BUT that's one that I actually enjoy.  I have one of those, and I'd buy it again.

I hear you....but I can't get past the oak...it's cloying to me.

1 minute ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I hear you....but I can't get past the oak...it's cloying to me.

I totally respect that.  And I feel the same way about WRDO and OF1910.  I think the biggest problem I have with the Sagamore Rye DO is that I detect that the base rye whiskey is not matured enough ... and their band-aid for that is to slap the whiskey into a secondary barrel for a little bit to smooth out the rough edges.  It's a shortcut.  My take is that it kinda works for a rye whiskey, but that's probably just me  🤷‍♂️

Looking at the back label, it says the base whiskey is aged "4 to 5 years" ... that means legally we have to consider it to be a 4-year whiskey by definition. 

Then they age it in the secondary toasted barrel for an additional 18 months.  

I agree, this is sort of like putting lipstick on a pig.  But in this particular case, it kinda works for me! 🤪  YMMV

• I like it 2

41 minutes ago, Kepler said:

That's a big loss.  They don't make 'em like that anymore

I have three more bunkered. Different store but same general age. Didnt see em goin away when they did.

• I like it 2

17 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

I have three more bunkered. Different store but same general age. Didnt see em goin away when they did.

Most of us didn't realize either.  I never saw very many 14- or 15-yr picks in my neck of the woods, but I have several honey barrel 9 year bottles from 2015 , plus a honey barrel 14 yr from around the same time.  Thank goodness.

• I like it 2

Time to replace another empty Baker's.

As much as I really like the new Single Barrel release, it's just a different bourbon than these old ones.  Much more oak influence in the new SiB.  When I took a sip from this one, it just tastes right.  It just tastes like Baker's.  Instead of looking to purchase the oldest aged single barrels I can find (8+ yrs in the barrel) maybe I should change my strategy to look for the 7 year single barrels?  Hmm🤔

20240217_143035.thumb.jpg.dfca84dbaaf7b7a404f0a95adfa3d914.jpg

• I like it 6

18 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I like everything that I've had from this distillery...except this one.

Not a fan of double oaked anything...

20240216_211244.jpg

I hear and read great things about this one. But, I am like you. Anything labelled double barreled is a pass unless I can try it first. 

Woodford Double Double Barrel is highly sought after. A friend brought one back for me after the initial release.  One of the least enjoyable bottles I have ever had.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I hear and read great things about this one. But, I am like you. Anything labelled double barreled is a pass unless I can try it first. 

Woodford Double Double Barrel is highly sought after. A friend brought one back for me after the initial release.  One of the least enjoyable bottles I have ever had.

Yeah.....everything else that I've had from Sagamore is really good.....but this is just too oaky/sweet/cloying for me.  It just doesn't work.   Whenever Mrs. Skinsfan got a hankerin' for an Old Fashioned, I used it.    It took  a while, but it's finally gone...

• I like it 2

I finished off a handle of MM, and a 750 of BT recently. The empties went to the curb yesterday morning. 👋

• I like it 2

Dayum this was good!  So rich and full of flavor.  For $55, we'll be mourning these like the Knob Creek 15yr SiBs soon. 

Dickel 15 sib empty.jpg

• I like it 5

Stagg Jr. and Barrell SiB bottle kills.  SJR batch 9 - amazing!  One of my favorite batches.  The Barell pick, a 99% corn MGP mashbill bourbon (not corn whiskey) was disappointing.  I expected a mouth coating corn sweetness (like Southern Revival High Wire Jimmy Red) but it was muted and restrained.  A shame, as K&L usually does great store picks.  Especially disappointing at the $74 price point...

Stagg and Barell emptys.jpg

• I like it 3

The latest for the recycle bin. Good while they lasted.

Pat

image.thumb.jpeg.ad489a351ad29dd0cedf365c46122481.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c120852f7ddc1e97343179d4872ba673.jpeg

• I like it 8

I feel a little guilty about liking this stuff, but it’s always been good to me.

🤷🏻‍♂️

This is my last bottle and last pour for the time being, unfortunately.

IMG_8541.jpeg

• I like it 3

This was an outstanding barrel.  I have another in reserve, and am heading out shortly to get another, or two.

2E2A6F06-C276-43A6-A0FA-DDDCC31B7AC4.jpeg

• I like it 3

Saturday morning coffee bottle kill, and Yesterday afternoon's. About time to hit up the LS to get fresh bottles of my warm weather bourbons.

20240302_102449.jpg

20240303_174733.jpg

• I like it 1

My first bottle of HH BIB7yr ran dry last night. I say my first bottle because I would like to get another one, and I am sure I will. But I have a hard time spending $50 for a bottle with one more year of age on it then the 6yrBIB I used to get for $12. I know times have changed and the bourbon world is different now, but I just feel like I'm getting robbed. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Heaven Hill products! I'm as big a EC whore as you will find, but I am starting to spend less and drink more of what I already have. 

• I like it 2

Good night sweet prince. Thank goodness there was one in the bullpen. 

IMG_0784.jpeg

• I like it 1

Polished off a bottle of OFBB '17 pouring samples for others. That and a bottle of OF100 ran dry as well. For whatever reason the photo wasn't uploading correctly. Maybe I will figure out technology later this week and be able to post the proof. Either that or I will drink some higher proof and make it all better. One of the two will work I'm sure of it!

• I like it 4

She gone.  😢

3B7457E0-8CB2-45EB-AA4D-6834310AE039.jpeg

• I like it 12

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

She gone.  😢

3B7457E0-8CB2-45EB-AA4D-6834310AE039.jpeg

Damn. This calls for a moment of silence 😔

• I like it 2

I emptied two and started on the blue corn.  If I were ranking them I'd go Red corn > blue corn > high rye (white corn). 

The High rye is the only one I wouldn't buy again (it's not bad but nothing stands out to justify the price). I did buy a backup of the red corn.

20240315_165757.thumb.jpg.0de0330334d0366c03fd483e95a88b95.jpg

• I like it 3

The eagle landed.😕

IMG_3927.thumb.jpeg.68e71e549727bcea8541f73ba21f875d.jpeg

• I like it 6