What did you purchase this Spring? (2024)

markandrex

I assessed the liquor reserves before the latest trip south to determine whether to steal more KC 12 from @mbroo5880i and @PaulO in Indiana, or save the cash to throw toward local FRSiB purchases.  In the end, I decided on neither.  The good folks at BT were featuring Horsey-tops on Friday, so that's always worth a quick stop.  Might as well grab a few regular BT's to make it worthwhile.  To round things off, the HmK10's representing the 2 and 3 pins were very thoughtfully procured in trade with @Anwalt.  Thank you for the opportunity to yet again try something new to me.

There will be an overnight in Louisville on Friday's return trip, so I may yet add to this collection.  

IMG_20240608_084326.jpg

• I like it 5

1 hour ago, Thomm said:

I assessed the liquor reserves before the latest trip south to determine whether to steal more KC 12 from @mbroo5880i and @PaulO in Indiana, or save the cash to throw toward local FRSiB purchases.  In the end, I decided on neither.  The good folks at BT were featuring Horsey-tops on Friday, so that's always worth a quick stop.  Might as well grab a few regular BT's to make it worthwhile.  To round things off, the HmK10's representing the 2 and 3 pins were very thoughtfully procured in trade with @Anwalt.  Thank you for the opportunity to yet again try something new to me.

There will be an overnight in Louisville on Friday's return trip, so I may yet add to this collection.  

IMG_20240608_084326.jpg

I know I've said it else ware but if in KY and you stop at a Kroger, Copper and Kings bourbon was as low as 40.00 in Bardstown and 15 yr HH, 10yr Barton and the balance BBC (5 yr) aged in C&Ks apple brandy barrels @11p NCF is a great purchase. I am loving it and wished I grabbed a couple more as its only in KY.

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, Thomm said:

To round things off, the HmK10's representing the 2 and 3 pins were very thoughtfully procured in trade with @Anwalt.  Thank you for the opportunity to yet again try something new to me.

Let me know how they are! And thanks for your patience, my mules are sometimes...mulish.

• I like it 2

Some new (to me) bottles.  Rye whiskey is definitely my jam as of late.  In part because there is just so much good rye on the shelves... moreso than bourbon IMO.  All are very good to excellent, no bad apples in the bunch.

IMG_3883.jpeg

• I like it 5

7 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

I know I've said it else ware but if in KY and you stop at a Kroger, Copper and Kings bourbon was as low as 40.00 in Bardstown and 15 yr HH, 10yr Barton and the balance BBC (5 yr) aged in C&Ks apple brandy barrels @11p NCF is a great purchase. I am loving it and wished I grabbed a couple more as its only in KY.

Would you happen to have a photo of those particular bottles?  My internet search revealed nothing for 10 year old Barton, and 15 year old Heaven Hill was something way beyond the outer limits of my price range.  I will be staying overnight in KY about a mile from the Stitzel-Weller Distillery and about a half mile from a Kroger.  

8 hours ago, Thomm said:

Would you happen to have a photo of those particular bottles?  My internet search revealed nothing for 10 year old Barton, and 15 year old Heaven Hill was something way beyond the outer limits of my price range.  I will be staying overnight in KY about a mile from the Stitzel-Weller Distillery and about a half mile from a Kroger.  

The breakdown of the contents is not listed on the bottle, that's detailed in bottle reviews such as this one:

https://thebourbonculture.com/whiskey-reviews/copper-kings-bourbon-finished-in-american-apple-brandy-barrels-review/

Slainte! Kevin.

IMG_5514.jpg

• I like it 2

On Sunday, I picked up a bottle of Four Roses Small Batch.  Opened on Sunday and sipped neat (no ice or water) for the last couple of days.

Definitely smooth with nearly no burn and lots of varied flavors.  I noticed the flavors are varied but not quite as intense as some other bourbons.

A good go-to for a calm and mellow evening with flavor...

• I like it 6

3 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

On Sunday, I picked up a bottle of Four Roses Small Batch.  Opened on Sunday and sipped neat (no ice or water) for the last couple of days.

Definitely smooth with nearly no burn and lots of varied flavors.  I noticed the flavors are varied but not quite as intense as some other bourbons.

A good go-to for a calm and mellow evening with flavor...

The 4R Small Batch really is a sleeper.  So well done and balanced.  Often overlooked in their lineup, but it’s top notch.  👍🏻

• I like it 7

4 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

The breakdown of the contents is not listed on the bottle, that's detailed in bottle reviews such as this one:

https://thebourbonculture.com/whiskey-reviews/copper-kings-bourbon-finished-in-american-apple-brandy-barrels-review/

Slainte! Kevin.

IMG_5514.jpg

Okay, now I get it.  It contains the 10 y/o Barton and 15 y/o HH.  That makes sense.  Sorry I misread your post.  That review and your recommendation are good enough for me.  if I see it, I will get two.  Finished bourbon is yet another category into which I have not yet ventured.  Thanks for the information!

• I like it 1

On 6/9/2024 at 10:08 PM, FasterHorses said:

You have some unbelievable luck Dave. Congrats. I left after an hour. My friend used my ticket to get a WFP 2 hours in. 

We're still kind of in disbelief. We assumed we would sit there until the end and either not get called or get called and only have a pick of something we don't really like.

We had  just settled in and her number was called. Two hours for a wfp isn't bad. It was a pretty nice hang with lots of samples.

• I like it 2

Have heard good things, so decided to pick one up.

IMG_5995.jpeg

• I like it 10

On 6/9/2024 at 6:53 PM, Davesnothere said:

I'm told it's an early Fathers day present.

Keep. Her.

And insure her too!

• I like it 5

Went back for two more bottles.  Yum, yum 😋.  This cask strength single barrel rye and the bottled in bond rye are my first taste of Wilderness Trail and I'm quite impressed.  The BiB is good, but the cask strength single barrel rye is superb.  I look forward to trying more of their offerings... the single barrel cask strength bourbon will most likely be next. 

IMG_3887.jpeg

Edited by MyBrainOnWhiskey
  • I like it 5

Is wilderness trail MGP sourced or something else? 

8 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

Is wilderness trail MGP sourced or something else? 

Not sourced.  Distilled, aged, and bottled by Wilderness Trail. 😍

The distillery is about 10 years old and has a great story.  The two founders are pretty young and very passionate about bourbon and whiskey.  Before the distillery they started a business selling yeast and fermentation products to distillers, which they still operate.  Dr. Pat Heist, one of the two distillery founders, has a Ph.D from U of K.  He studied micro-biology and plant pathology in field crops, a skillset that evidently lends itself to the art and practice of distilling and aging good whiskey. 

My main staples usually come from legacy distilleries (Jim Beam, Wild Turkey) and I normally tend to shy away from new(er) distilleries.  However, I've been in an experimental mood and decided to give WT a try.  I am highly impressed with their single barrel cask strength rye and am excited to explore more of their offerings.

• I like it 5

44 minutes ago, MyBrainOnWhiskey said:

Not sourced.  Distilled, aged, and bottled by Wilderness Trail. 😍

The distillery is about 10 years old and has a great story.  The two founders are pretty young and very passionate about bourbon and whiskey.  Before the distillery they started a business selling yeast and fermentation products to distillers, which they still operate.  Dr. Pat Heist, one of the two distillery founders, has a Ph.D from U of K.  He studied micro-biology and plant pathology in field crops, a skillset that evidently lends itself to the art and practice of distilling and aging good whiskey. 

My main staples usually come from legacy distilleries (Jim Beam, Wild Turkey) and I normally tend to shy away from new(er) distilleries.  However, I've been in an experimental mood and decided to give WT a try.  I am highly impressed with their single barrel cask strength rye and am excited to explore more of their offerings.

There are too many new brands to keep track of, thanks! 

Posted (edited)

I believe they still operate WTr but sold a 70% stake to Campari.   I believe Campari plans on buying the remaining 30% by 2031.  
They have been putting out some great stuff

Edited by markandrex
  • I like it 3

3 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

I totally agree!  90% of the time I'm buying established brands and bottles I'm familiar with... Knob Creek 7-year Rye, Knob Creek 12 and 9 year, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Russell's, JDSBBS to name a few.  In the past when I've tried "new brands" I've been largely disappointed, which has only served to steer me back to the legacy distillers. 

My last foray into "something new" has been a much better experience (Wilderness Trail, New Riff, and Sagamore Spirit) so I thought I would share.  Tastes and preferences are individual, so YMMV.   

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, markandrex said:

I believe they still operate WTr but sold a 70% stake to Campari.   I believe Campari plans on buying the remaining 30% by 2031.  

You are correct.  Hopefully Campari leaves them alone to operate in a mostly independent manner.  Things don't seem to be going to poorly with Wild Turkey since the Campari buyout.

• I like it 3

8 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

It seems the number of new brands I'd actually like to try isn't too many 😉 (maybe half a dozen).

• I like it 1

Picked up another ETL today at msrp. Really enjoying these. 

• I like it 7

12 hours ago, markandrex said:

Agreed.

On 6/6/2024 at 3:50 PM, smokinjoe said:

Picked up this Wyoming Whiskey Outryder  while out for lunch.  First nosing and initial sips are very nice.  Particularly, the total tongue coating mouthfeel and forever finish.  Lots going on in the flavor department.  There’s an herb note in there.  But, this whiskey is teasing flavors from start to finish.  

IMG_5327.jpeg

@smokinjoe Nice! Looks like the 2023 Outryder release based on the bottle? If so, then that was the first release where I used 100% used of the stock from 2017. Both the rye whiskey and the rye Bourbon stock have a very nice fruity character. Hope you're enjoying it! 

Cheers,

Nancy

• I like it 2

I actually bought 2 of these. Got to sample it prior to its release and was quite surprised to find a 100% rye whiskey could taste like a bourbon.

20240613_184348.jpg

• I like it 1

Well,  @mbroo5880i posted this in another thread.  “like @fishnbowljoe I rarely pass by a liquor department.” We had a lot of running around to do today. We stopped at one place to pick up a couple of things, and of course I took a look see in the liquor department. What can I say? If anything, at least I’m consistent. 🤷🏻

IMG_4770.thumb.jpeg.1bf70cd9559cb970ef47fb8d0ce1ab6f.jpeg

• I like it 8