What bourbon are you drinking this Spring - 2024

markandrex

MM again last night. 👍

• I like it 4

3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

MM again last night. 👍

Seems like you're turning into the Maker's whore Joe.

Prost!!  Phil 

• I like it 6

ECBP B521. Heavy pour, later than usual. Just finished teaching a 2-day class. Relieved. Tired. Heaven Hill to the rescue.

• I like it 4

ECBP C922 tonight.  Starting slow by mixing about 1/3 ECBP SB to proof it down a bit.

• I like it 3

A nightcap of CEHT single barrel.  To the colonel  🥃🫡

• I like it 6

On 4/21/2024 at 4:22 PM, Phil T said:

Seems like you're turning into the Maker's whore Joe.

Prost!!  Phil 

He can do that or join one of those religions where they don't drink.

• I like it 3

Chatting with the Colonel tonight. EH Taylor SmB. 😁

IMG_5564.jpeg.c81e96f6932ef9eecb472e5c8274004a.jpeg

• I like it 6

Had a friend over. All the bottles were new to him. He's a big Nancy Fraley fan. His two favorites were the SACS4y and the OO CS 10y. He was very surprised by the JD. The HH Armagnac finish was underwhelming, especially in comparison to his beloved JMCB. A nice time was had.

Montag.jpg

• I like it 8

yesterday was FR Sib Select, LOVE that stuff. Calumet 10, finished by a healthy pour of James E Pepper.  Night... Night..........

• I like it 2

One of Those days. Still at the office, pouring from an office bottle (because Office Bottles). AE SP, 110 proof, Specs. This is a good one.

Was swearing off any pours until Bardstown, but today was one of those days so decided to hell with that.  

Enjoying a nice pour of some 2014 hazmat WLW.  Been nursing this bottle since 2014 (decanted it into a 375 mL several years back, and then a couple years ago into a 200 mL).  Just syrupy wheated wonderfulness.

• I like it 4

Some Bakers SmB after a morning of errands.  Enjoying sitting on the deck with the humming birds buzzing around and the view of an open pool!  Ah, life is good.🥳

• I like it 5

Started with a JEP Decanter pour. I really, really enjoyed it this time. I feel like I could review this each time I pour it; not because it's that different each time but because I'm not sure what I am drinking as it is so off profile. Anyway is was quite good. I didn't want to run out too quickly so I needed a follow-up that wouldn't disappoint. OGD114 to the rescue; Lovely!!!

• I like it 4

Back to the SFTB 131.6. I do soooo like those. 

Only 5 more days of bourbon & rye. Then on a cruise for 2 weeks (bargain, NYC to Southampton with parents & daughter). I don't like their selection and won't pay what they are charging.

Then a week in London and another in Burgos/Madrid. 

I tend to drink wine on those trips, though I could see some Scotch or Irish in London. Or beer. Oh yes, beer.

Family members in Spain have been growing wine for centuries. They have an "illegal" vineyard. They make phenomenal wine (one has a PHD in oenology and a "legal" commercial vineyard). So the "illegal" stuff cannot be sold but is freely shared with friends & family, bless them. Aranda del Duero region. They even have private tunnels in the hillsides were wine was stored in the days before AC. Literal man caves. Gnarly.

• I like it 9

2 hours ago, Anwalt said:

Back to the SFTB 131.6. I do soooo like those. 

Only 5 more days of bourbon & rye. Then on a cruise for 2 weeks (bargain, NYC to Southampton with parents & daughter). I don't like their selection and won't pay what they are charging.

Then a week in London and another in Burgos/Madrid. 

I tend to drink wine on those trips, though I could see some Scotch or Irish in London. Or beer. Oh yes, beer.

Family members in Spain have been growing wine for centuries. They have an "illegal" vineyard. They make phenomenal wine (one has a PHD in oenology and a "legal" commercial vineyard). So the "illegal" stuff cannot be sold but is freely shared with friends & family, bless them. Aranda del Duero region. They even have private tunnels in the hillsides were wine was stored in the days before AC. Literal man caves. Gnarly.

Exciting post My Friend...

As far as "Man Caves" go, the epitome of and precursor; no less...

• I like it 1

Pre-gaming for the NFL draft.

20240425_195532.jpg

• I like it 3

On 4/23/2024 at 6:18 PM, GaryT said:

Was swearing off any pours until Bardstown, but today was one of those days so decided to hell with that.  

Enjoying a nice pour of some 2014 hazmat WLW.  Been nursing this bottle since 2014 (decanted it into a 375 mL several years back, and then a couple years ago into a 200 mL).  Just syrupy wheated wonderfulness.

This was the bottle that sent me to WLW Heaven. I had been slowly converting from decades of Scotch as my primary to bourbon. This viscous nectar was the point of no return. Like remembering where I was when the news came Elvis died I remember every detail of the evening where the 14 WLW was on the bar menu at our favorite MEM restaurant. The flavor explosion overcame the highest proof whiskey I'd ever had. So surprising each taste was a heightened delight of the previous sip. WOW. That experience is why I adopted my icon when I joined this group.  Thanks for the pleasant reminder Gary, and enjoy the bash at Bardstown. 

• I like it 3

Yesterday started with FR Sib select( sooo good), James E Pepper, and a WT101. Fine selections........

• I like it 4

Finished off a Virgin 101 KSBW a few minutes ago to celebrate the completion of indoor cleaning chores.  Bottle had about a 1/4 inch in it.  I'm back to my OGDBIB later tonight although we are having classic bourbon highballs for dinner - 4RYL+ginger ale+a real maraschino cherry over ice.

YUM!! all over today.

• I like it 7

Putting together and sipping a new solera bottle. Starting out with a blend of Heaven Hill BIB,  Wyoming Whiskey Outryder, and Driftless Glen.  So far so good!  Very malty and smooth.  Frank August bottles make superb decanters.  Freddie approves!  (Well, I approve and Freddie watches me drink.)

20240426_183248.jpg

20240426_183248.jpg

• I like it 4

12 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

Frank August bottles make superb decanters.  Freddie approves!  (Well, I approve and Freddie watches me drink.)

Freddie is a handsome fellow. Seems to be aware of it too, in a very Zen fashion.

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, Cibsie said:

I've had worse nights.

How do they compare? I lack the 1st one and the SP on the 3rd one is of course different.

2 hours ago, Anwalt said:

How do they compare? I lack the 1st one and the SP on the 3rd one is of course different.

Honestly, after having the side by side, it felt like we really just paid for the bottle on the 10 year.  It's great, but MSRP is probably double what it should be.  The 19 year was probably my favorite lower proof pour I've ever had.  Just the right amount of oak for me and a dark chocolate flavor really stood out.

For the Weller, it's only the second full proof I've had.  If these ever become more available it would be my every other day pour along with OWA.

• I like it 4

Is it me or is Blanton's Sib losing its flavor. The last one I had opened was 6 months ago and it was bland. After that was done thought my taste buds were different. Figured I would wait awhile before opening another. Just opened another from the bunker and I think it's just as bad or maybe worse. Any thoughts? Are they just pushing it out because of the demand knowing it will not be questioned as to value?