What bourbon are you drinking this Spring - 2024

markandrex

This stuff is good. A couple drops of water and it tastes like oak, vanilla,  and cinnamon.  Drinking well below its proof tonight. 

IMG_2191.jpeg

• I like it 2

Did a sbs with an older batch 10 ECBP vs C923. They were both amazing pours. The older one had more molasses sweetness and depth but drank a little hot.  The newer one hade more oak and a "sweet oak" note vs they syrupy notes of the older one.

Also tried a MM distillery pick vs MMCA. The pick was good with some nice cocoa notes but didn't stand a chance against CA. CA is still my favorite MM product ever.

20240412_221549.jpg

20240412_225258.jpg

Edited by Clueby
  • I like it 11

HH7 BIB, moving onto Hard Truth Small Batch.

• I like it 1

Running with the Herd after a day in the yard.

• I like it 2

Lots of yard work today as well.  More tomorrow. Busy weekend.  In addition to puppy school this morning, we are puppy sitting my son's two dogs this weekend while he and his wife are attending medical continuing education classes in San Diego.  Four dogs, all of whom want to sleep in the family room which means I have to sleep on the love seat, not once, not twice, not three times, but four times this weekend since they each seem to have separate middle of the night potty times. 😮

Finishing the evening with a nice pour FRSiB. 

• I like it 4

On 4/11/2024 at 7:47 PM, JCwhammie said:

Is that the Red Dog Saloon in Oklahoma City?!

On 4/12/2024 at 1:35 PM, markandrex said:

No it was a little place south of Canton Ohio a friend owned near Bear Creek (a steak place with a beer hall upstairs that had a great toboggan run in the winter).

I think the famous one is in Juneau Alaska if I'm not wrong.

I'm having my Larceny home blend.  It's a 50/50 blend of Larceny BP and a private barrel pick Larceny 92 proof.  It's been marrying in a repurposed old fitz decanter for a few months.  Good stuff.

• I like it 4

Really enjoyed the Larceny home blend.  When scanning my bar to decide on the next pour, my thoughts kept coming back to the underlying nuttiness in Larceny that I really enjoy.  So although I considered just staying in the HH family for that nuttiness, when my eyes came across Booker's I pulled the trigger on that. 

Booker's B96-C-15 in my glass with a splash of water. 

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

I'm having my Larceny home blend.  It's a 50/50 blend of Larceny BP and a private barrel pick Larceny 92 proof.  It's been marrying in a repurposed old fitz decanter for a few months.  Good stuff.

I need to try this blend. I haven’t had a lot of success with blends. Maybe, I don’t allow the whiskeys to marry long enough. Your Larceny sounds tasty. 

Cheers

• I like it 2

I'm having MM46, because that's what's open in the cabinet.

• I like it 1

43 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Really enjoyed the Larceny home blend.  When scanning my bar to decide on the next pour, my thoughts kept coming back to the underlying nuttiness in Larceny that I really enjoy.  So although I considered just staying in the HH family for that nuttiness, when my eyes came across Booker's I pulled the trigger on that. 

Booker's B96-C-15 in my glass with a splash of water. 

Booker’s, always the right choice. 

Cheers

• I like it 2

8 minutes ago, Wedelstaedt said:

I need to try this blend. I haven’t had a lot of success with blends. Maybe, I don’t allow the whiskeys to marry long enough. Your Larceny sounds tasty. 

Cheers

Yes you should give it a try.  I seem to get better results when I decant larger amounts into a separate home decanter bottle (and let it sit in the bottle permanently), ... as opposed to just measuring out a pour and drinking it.

• I like it 2

6 minutes ago, PaulO said:

I'm having MM46, because that's what's open in the cabinet.

Good reason.

22 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Yes you should give it a try.  I seem to get better results when I decant larger amounts into a separate home decanter bottle (and let it sit in the bottle permanently), ... as opposed to just measuring out a pour and drinking it.

I’ll try it. Thank you for the pro tip 👍

Cheers

On 4/10/2024 at 6:20 PM, bayouredd said:

Busted open a new one. This one at 107.4 pf

jep.thumb.jpg.df7532788c205603f596904da7a01910.jpg

I'm not really getting the same as the watched reviewers say, up front. I'm getting mostly oak, raisins & dates. From mid palate on through the fairly long finish is a white pepper spice. Not really a burn, just spicy. Very even-keeled...

10 minutes later and a few drops of water, brings a brief vanilla into a caramel mid way. The oak competes with the pepper at this point.

New pour - 15 min sitting in glass...

Sweet oak & caramel - front end * Still with the raisins - midway * Spicy white pepper finish

Bottom line:

1. Not sure if this is a repeat buy until I give it a rest and try again in a couple weeks.

2. No way in hell that this is a Blanton's comparison   Not better or worse, just quite different

3. I could end up liking this for a change of pace but it will not replace my KC12 😍

I was attracted to the nice packaging a week, or so ago, but I passed.  Saw it again on Friday, and decided to pick it up as the pricing wasn’t offensive and I noticed the label indicated it was distilled in Kentucky. Not Indiana.  With all of the contract distilling going on, not sure how much credence that gives the whiskey.   I have since learned that it is Pepper’s own distillate, distilled by them.  Good.  Some nice and interesting flavors.  Barrel Proof, but not hot at all.  Well done whiskey, by any measurement.  I’ll add this to my short list of quality producing craft distilleries that can sit with the legacies.  
EDIT:  I’m going to edit this in an attempt to curb my enthusiasm…😉by adding that while I am enjoying this bottle of Pepper made whiskey, let me not get carried away with this “sitting with the legacies” business.  That’s going to take a little more time to earn that.  Let’s start with they can sit at a nearby table, for now.  But, things look promising.  😂

Edited by smokinjoe
  • I like it 2

I just got home from a neighbor’s wake/celebration of life.  He was a really great guy that cancer just devastated him in six months.

i decided to have a glass in his honor and several neighbors are cutting grass so, ER10 it is. 
To Earl!🥃

• I like it 8

5 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

EDIT:  I’m going to edit this in an attempt to curb my enthusiasm…😉by adding that while I am enjoying this bottle of Pepper made whiskey, let me not get carried away with this “sitting with the legacies” business.  That’s going to take a little more time to earn that.  Let’s start with they can sit at a nearby table, for now.  But, things look promising.  😂

You almost suckered me into immediately going out to buy it because my brother said it was good lol!

• I like it 1

Channeling @fishnbowljoe  with a pour of BT.

This is a store pick from my former local and was the last pour of the bottle and what do I see but a bunch of barrel char in the glass.

• I like it 3

Not drinking. Yet. I’m trying to go through stuff in and on my bourbon cabinet. Stay tuned.  😐

An after-dinner pour of a 2019 WLW.  

• I like it 3

36 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Not drinking. Yet. I’m trying to go through stuff in and on my bourbon cabinet. Stay tuned.  😐

What?  You are running out of time this evening.  Oh wait, you don't have to go to work tomorrow.  😉

• I like it 1

A couple of pours of FRSiB from warehouse ME.  I saw @smokinjoe had picked one up so I just had to when I saw it on the shelf.  

This has to be the mostest fabulistic bottle of FRSiB I have had....since my last bottle of FRSiB.  

Actually, FRSiB is one of my favorites and this one is pretty solid.  

• I like it 3

11 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

What?  You are running out of time this evening.  Oh wait, you don't have to go to work tomorrow.  😉

Also, don’t forget the hour time difference. ⏳ 😁

• I like it 1

I was searching through the shelves for some "good stuff" to take to Bardstown in a couple weex (less, actually!).   I came across a mostly full bottle of Barterhouse 20-yr.    I couldn't recall why it was pushed so far back in the closet, but, I decided that it might be a candidate for B'town.   I eased a nice pour into a glencairn, and set it aside for about 15-minutes to 'air out a bit'.   I began by sniffing the aroma: Very Nice, rich, complex, the 20-years was evident.   The color was gorgeous!    I took a little in my mouth and rolled it around a bit.   THEN, I knew why it was still on that back shelf for so many years.   Man!  That stuff is WOODY!   I'd say it might be about 6-to-8 years too long in the barrel.   On the upside(s) the nose was still quite enjoyable, and the finish was stupendously long, and as it evolved it became pretty nice.   I did a couple more sips over the next 1/2-hour, concentrating on that nose and that finish.  ...Then, I poured it into a bigger glass and drowned it in Vernors.

• I like it 1

55 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Also, don’t forget the hour time difference. ⏳ 😁

Yeah, but there is the old man quotient.  Bed time is 7 pm.  8 pm on weekends, right after HeeHaw or Laurence Welk on Saturdays and the Wonderful World of Disney or 60 minutes on Sunday depending on your preference.  🤪