Just Another Single Barrel Morning

doubleblank
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well....I lived out a dream project this morning. I met with Julian at BT and picked out a single barrel of his 12yo Lot "B" for myself. OK, first an answer to all I discussed this with....what are you going to do with this much bourbon (approx 14 cases)? 2 to 3 cases for various charity auctions we participate in. 2 cases for my younger brothers. 2 cases to cellar for my 10 yo and 15 yo daughters' graduations, engagements and weddings. 3 cases for my friends at this year's gazebo....leaves about 5 for my enjoyment. Anyway, here's what happened today.

I invited Brenda to join me on this project. We met Julian at 10am Tuesday August 10th to taste from five different barrels. The tasting area was set up with the five barrels and plenty of glasses. Julian had drawn up a personalized neck label which looked great. We discussed the bourbon in front of us while the warehouseman popped the bungs out of the barrels...a hard whap on each side of the bung released it. He then used a "thief" to put two samples of each barrel into graduated glasses. One was left at barrel proof and the other reduced to approx 80 proof. My plan was to nose each glass prior to tasting to see if anything was off. Everything smelled great. Next we began tasting.....no spit bucket, but an open window which worked very well. All of the bourbon had been barrelled on the same day in March of '92 so I expected a lot of similiarities. Samples 1 and 2 were a little smoother and lighter than 3, 4 and 5. Since I am giving a lot of this away to friends and charity, I thought it best to lean towards the smooth, sweet side versus a spicier, hotter barrel. Julian, Brenda and I tasted away and Brenda took lots of photos (which I hope she'll post later). I finally decided on barrel no 2....a lighter, sweeter version of the 12yo lot "B".

All in all it took about 1 hour to "suffer" through this and am anxious to see the results. BT is currently out of the cognac bottles but hope to have them in soon. I want to give all forum members who attend this years's festival a bottle. PM me so I can have one with your name on it (I'm having about half the cases delivered to Toddy's in Bardstown). Of course a PM is not required for the many forum participants I already know will be there.....Bettye Jo, Bobby, Brenda, Dane, Chuck, Mark, Bob, Omar, Tim, Wade, Jeff, Ed, Gary, et al.

Side Notes - Brenda was almost beside herself we left so much good bourbon in the tasting glasses....but it was 10am. Also, these high crude oil prices and natural gas prices had nothing to do with my project....well, maybe a little to do with it. Think of each bottle as a small rebate against your gasoline or utility bill.

In summary, it was great fun and Julian and the BT people were great. The new visitor center and photo gallery are exceptional. Take a new visit to BT to see it.

Again...PM me to reserve a bottle in September. See everyone then. Hope the botttles show up!!!!!

Randy

Incredible!

Marvelous!

Delicious!

And very special, indeed.

P.S. (Thank bowdown.gif you!)

Wow! I am so envious. Thanks for such a wonderful posting. I sure hope to be doing the same some day! Just got to get LeNell's through the teething and toddler stages of business and enough moolah in the bank. Your kindness to be repaid, you can bet on that. Look forward to seeing ya in Bardstown.

I can only echo what Dave, Cliff and others have said. Wow. Randy is a true bourbonian in a very special way!

Gary

Tonya,

You know, if you were to get a license to ship liquor interstate, I'm sure there are a LOT of people here who would help you build up LaNell's PDQ. I'd personally rather give my money to a fellow SB.com member than a Binny's, Sam's or InternetWines for that bottle that just doesn't quite make it to Missouri. After all, we're all one big happy family here. toast.gif

Thanks for the nice thoughts of support. I wish it was not so complicated to legally ship outside NY. There's a reason why these huge companies are the only ones doing it. It's very costly.

Randy, that I'm included on this and don't have to PM makes me speechless. Thank You Profusely!

toast.gif

Awesome! I know it's only August, but I will nominate Randy for candidate for 2005 Bourbonian of the Year.

This had to be a wonderful experience. I hope that one day I (as well as other sb.com members) might be able to do the same. Congratulations! Enjoy!

toast.gif

Randy,

Green with envy, I closed my eyes and swirled the glass, white lines and all, vicariously. I can hear that bung hammer smacking the barrels. I'm standing right beside you and Brenda. I think we have the makings of a new 900 number for Bourbonians.

And the thought of owning a bottle, OH MY.

OK, I can hang up now.

grin.gif

Ed....You have grasped the experience entirely. It went by way too fast. My post doesn't begin to describe how much fun I had. Hopefully, Brenda will add to my description. And post her pictures....I know she's busy, but they will complete the picture. The bottles this will be put in are on a boat from France......let's hope it's on schedule. Looking forward to seeing everyone in September.....and tasting my project.

Randy

A hot bourbon chat line, what a great idea! I can hear it now, one side of it, anyway.

"What are you pouring?"

"You like it straight? I bet you do. I bet you like it straight."

"How old is it? Really, that's pretty young. You like them young, don't you?"

"Is your nose in the snifter now? How far in the snifter? Really, that far?"

"Now lick it, that's right, lick it just like that. Oh God, that's good."

I think I better stop here, but you get the idea.

Randy,

I am soooo sorry it took me so long to do this. I've been in a dead-run since Monday.

This was just the coolest thing I've done in a very long time! toast.gif

Here go the photos.

We started at the famous Warehouse H...

post-25-14489811602536_thumb.jpg

We looked closely (for a second or two... lol.gif) I was so glad the decision wasn't up to me. My only job was to drink... drinking.gif

post-25-14489811602949_thumb.jpg

I just couldn't get over the fact that these guys were spitting it out!! For Gawd's sake, that's alcohol abuse at it's highest level... skep.giflol.gif

post-25-14489811603095_thumb.jpg

I just want to tell ya'll what a wonderful experience this was. I've had a big, stupid grin on my face since Monday. grin.gif

FWIW, I agree 100% with Randy's choice. I think everyone is going to be very, very pleased.

Randy, I can't thank you enough for allowing me to tag along! It was the sort of thing you tell your friends about for years to come. You rock! toast.gif

And finally, the winner is...

post-25-14489811603556_thumb.jpg

Brenda, all we're missing is a pic of YOU! smile.gif Thanks to the both of you for sharing this experience with us.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.