The Manhattan

Gillman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I only recently had my first good Manhattan at Edward's steakhouse in Jersey City, NJ. The bartender made it great, but I didn't see how she made it and I didn't order them. I do know they were made with Crown Royal.

A few questions I have:

1) If I goto a bar/restaurant and want to order it, is there a certain way to order a Manhattan to ensure a "good" Manhattan?

2) Would this receipe work for me to make them at home?

Combine this all over ice in a cocktail shaker (but dont shake!)

VW Rye or Bulleit 3 parts (or should this be 4 parts?)

Vya sweet vermouth 1 part (I can get it in NJ for $15 a 750 ml)

1-2 dashes of Peychards Bitters or Fee aromatic bitters

1 mar. cherry

Stir it with my bar spoon and pour into a glass with no ice.

How's that?

In my opinion, that would be a very good recipe. Its not the way I make them, but that is a great prescription for a classic Manhattan.

Tim

I'd agree that this is a very good starting point. You might want to experiment with mixing ratios and brands of whiskey and vermouth.

I usually use 3:1 whiskey:vermouth, 5:1 if I use Punt e Mes and don't make a Red Hook. For standard vermouths, I usually use Martini & Rossi or Noilly Prat red; Vya red is expensive but outstanding.

Next time I run out of red vermouth, I'm going to grab a bottle of Carpano Antica Formula to try out.

Bitters are not easy to come by I noticed!

LeNell's has an amazing selection. She will also ship it to you. Go to her web-site and you can see what she has.

Bitters are not easy to come by I noticed!

I don't use the fancy bitters that you are looking for, but I can find Angostura at Wal-Mart.

Tim

In my current experiments in this line, I am down (up?) around 5:1 to the red vermouth and with two or more shakes of the bitters I have. Three small ice cubes.

Ed

How to ensure a good manhattan in a bar? Good question.

I would start by thinking about what kind of bar it is. I wouldn't hesitate to order a manhattan in a good steakhouse, for example, but in place where most of the patrons are drinking bottled beer, I might. I probably would just order "a manhattan" and see what happens. I'm always a little afraid that giving instructions may actually get you a lesser drink. Calling the whiskey might help. The simplest way to do it is to say the whiskey brand, followed by the word "manhattan," i.e., "a Wild Turkey Manhattan."

About 20 years ago, when I was dating a certain woman, manhattans became our thing. I thought I was safe ordering them anywhere in Louisville. Boy was I wrong. Ordered one once and got the most god-awful stuff, probably a pre-mix long past its expiration date. I have been much more careful ever since. (Also more careful about women, but that's another story.)

Best manhattan ever? On a tip from Gary Regan, I asked for a Blanton's Manhattan from a certain bartender at a certain establishment in NYC. Sublime! The standard I have been trying to meet ever since.

• 3 weeks later...

When I get back to the house this evening I am going to create my first manhattan at home. I have a friend of the family that makes them but they are too sweet for my taste. (think uses a splash of the cherry juice)

The recipe

3 parts Old Grand Dad 114

1 part Noilly Prat red vermouth

Dash of bitters - (has anyone tried the Fernet Branca Bitters Liqueur?)

Stir in the pitcher and enjoy on the rocks

I hope this works.

So, I obtained some Vya sweet vermouth and some bitters from Lenell.

4 parts Bulleit bourbon

1 part Vya sweet vermouth

5 dashes Fee's Old Fashioned bitters

Cherry on botttom of martini glass

Mix this with a bar spoon over ice and strained it out into my martini glass.

Came out great, EXCEPT I think I the bitters were a BIT too much. 1-2 dashes will be more than enough for the Fee's Old Fashioned for me next time.

It's a winner though!

When I get back to the house this evening I am going to create my first manhattan at home. I have a friend of the family that makes them but they are too sweet for my taste. (think uses a splash of the cherry juice)

The recipe

3 parts Old Grand Dad 114

1 part Noilly Prat red vermouth

Dash of bitters - (has anyone tried the Fernet Branca Bitters Liqueur?)

Stir in the pitcher and enjoy on the rocks

I hope this works.

It worked like a charm - I am not sure what it is that brings out the rye in the OG 114 but I am really enjoying the rye notes in this manhattan.

I think the bitters is a great complement for the rye. Since I have started to use bitters in manhattans, I also have tended to prefer straight rye or high rye bourbon as the whiskey.

I think the bitters is a great complement for the rye. Since I have started to use bitters in manhattans, I also have tended to prefer straight rye or high rye bourbon as the whiskey.

Which ones, if you don't mind? ear.gif

Old Grand-Dad bottled in bond (high rye bourbon) and especially Rittenhouse Rye bottled in bond (straight rye).

It worked like a charm - I am not sure what it is that brings out the rye in the OG 114 but I am really enjoying the rye notes in this manhattan.

IMHO,OGD 114 is the perfect bourbon for Manhattans.

Except for drinking my bourbon straight or with a bit of spring water, the manhattan is a very enjoyable event.

My recipe:

Shaken, served straight up or on the rocks.

Quality bourbon, 3 parts

Noilly Prat red vermouth 1 part

2 dashs bitters

1 red cherry

I have tried other vermouths, IMO nothing holds a candle to Noilly, nothing.

Gotta go and make one now...

Tony

Longtrain

I tend to agree with you about Nouilly, although some here favor some obscure, more expensive vermouths.

Then again I found Gallo red vermouth very nice for most purposes, but Nouilly seems tops in general.

I generally mix vermouths, currently I use one made from Nouilly, some Cinzano, some Martini and Rossi, some Dubonnet (all red) and some white Martini and Rossi. The Cinzano lends a nice cinammon-like edge but just a little is enough.

When you add this to, say, some well-blended bourbons and ryes (I use about 20 generally), maybe with a dash of absinthe, you get a really good Manhattan.

If it is too intense I toss in some vodka and that settles it down. I've tried Canadian whisky for this but it doesn't work, only a good vodka will do, but sometimes it isn't needed.

Gary

I have been experimenting with manhattans quite a bit of late, so much so that I will have to buy another bottle of Noilly Pratt Red before too long.

I am still using about a 5 to 1 ratio. I want the vermouth to be just a little more than detectable. Bitters are a must. I think I am using more bitters than most of you. One shake of Hermes Orange Bitters and then one shake of either Hermes Aromatic Bitters or Angostura Aromatic Bitters. Sometimes all three.

A shake means I turn the bottle upside down over the glass and let it drip, when it stops I give it on good shake straight up and down. I use a little less Angostura than Hermes Aromatic Bitters.

For whiskey, I mostly prefer Wild Turkey Rye. I sometimes add a good splash of Olde Saint Nick Winter Rye 101 9 years old. That is a very spicy rye. The one Manhattan that I made with just that was too strongly flavored. I may try it again with just vermouth and Orange Bitters.

For bourbon I have tried a variety. ETL made a sweet tasty Manhattan, maybe too sweet. An AAA 10 year old was better. Wild Turkey 101 8 was good as was a Rare Breed that I made last night.

I think someone mentioned making a cognac Manhattan on the thread so I tried that. I used a bottle of Camus that had had a cork fall apart in it. It wasn't corked, but it did effect the spirit, giving it a musty tannic note that was not unpleasant, but it was too strong. It was outstanding in the Manhattan! Even better with a little Blanton's Straight From the Barrel drizzled in. I didn't have much of the Blanton's left so I only got to have one small Manhattan with that. It was excellent. I might try a Blanton's Gold Manhattan tonight. Someone mentioned OGD 114 as the perfect bourbon for a Manhattan and I agree that it is truly excellent, but I think that Baker's is even better, at least to my tastes. I didn't really care for the Booker's Manhattan I made.

The Manhattan that really convinced me that I love these things will probably never be reproduced. I started by pouring 5 shots of Wild Turkey Rye and one of Noilly Red into a 200 ml bottle . I don't know how many shakes of Hermes Aromatic Bitters which was all I had at the time. This was to take to a party. It was really good. I drank about two shots of it at the party, make that half. The next day we were going camping. I didn't have anymore Wild Turkey, or so I thought, but then I found a little 50 ml bottle of it. Then I topped it up with Olde Saint Nick Winter Rye and a way we went. At the campsite my first Manhattan was poured over ice. The second straight up. Both were glorious. The third was poured from a bottle chilled by the cold night air, nectar. The next day poured from a sun warmed bottle it was about as good a drink as you can imagine.

Ed

I have lately been using a 50-50 mix of Old Fitz BIB and Saz Jr to make my manhattens. Though I think I might be substitute Weller 107 for the Fitz soon, as I've always thought that to make a good manhatten you need some proof. Though I prefer Noilly, I'm currently using M&R as the store I went to last time doesn't carry Noilly.

I tend to vary up the bitters as suits my mood, while there always are 3-4 shakes, it may be Angostura or Gary's Orange or a mix or the two.

I recently procured a bottle of some Blood Orange bitters, that are non-alcoholic, and these are quite good, unfortunately they have no shaker so measurement with them has been problematic, but when I get it right (with a shake of Ango, too) they are amazing.

for reals, i was at a bar and they served "vodka-tonics" i was puzzled because, with a vodka and tonic, where would the flavor come from?whats the point? oh well, my college peers loved it.(girls)

Everyone in my office drinks either vodka tonics or vodka and soda. I have managed to woo a couple of the girls over to gingerale and bourbon.

My wife will settle for no whiskey but rye in her Manhattan's. No rye is too good for her: Saz 18, my best bottle of VW 13-year, and Old Overholt from the '80s she likes really well. Saz Jr. and Rittenhouse BIB she just loves, and Wild Turkey rye she'll drink without too much complaint.

However, I never, ever can sneak a bourbon (even a high rye formula) past Maia without an outcry: not Old Forester BIB from either 414 nor 354, nor Old Grand dad from ND or Beam eras - and especially not a recent Grand Dad 114. It's rye for her, or she'll suggest I keep practicing with another round. Of course, she frequently requests another if it's to her liking as well...

We like Vya vermouth quite a bit (about 3:1 rye/vermouth), and a shake each of Fee's Angostura and Orange Bitters. For her, I drizzle in a bit of maraschino juice before shaking the bejesus out of the penguin.

Roger

My wife will settle for no whiskey but rye in her Manhattan's. No rye is too good for her: Saz 18, my best bottle of VW 13-year, and Old Overholt from the '80s she likes really well. Saz Jr. and Rittenhouse BIB she just loves, and Wild Turkey rye she'll drink without too much complaint.

Roger

I really like WT Rye in mine, but I haven't had any of the others. I am hoping I can get a few of these on my rapidly approaching trip.

Ed

My usual Manhattan is a Perfect Manhattan:

4 parts American straight rye whiskey

1 part sweet vermouth

1 part dry vermouth

1 dash Angostura bitters

I usually add a cherry; it's the "dessert."

This is basically a 2:1 ratio.

My everyday rye is Jim Beam. It's quite nice actually, and comes with a striking yellow label. I think I pay $12 a bottle, which is a phenomenal deal. I'm going to try one with my Sazerac 18 y/o soon.

Hardly any bars carry straight rye these days. At my wedding last month I insisted they offer it, so they dug out some bottles of Michters (sp?) that were in the store room. It was quite nice.

Prepared an absolutely outstanding Manhattan tonight.

I'm one of those who has strayed off the Noilly path, but tonight I came home. Since I was using an 80 proof bourbon I went with 2 ounces of whiskey to 1/4+ oz Noilly Prat sweet vermouth. Then a healthy dash of Angostura and stir.

The bourbon was early 90's pre-Beam Old Taylor. I think this is a very good whiskey. And great in this mixed drink.

Garnish with 4 skewered Les Parisiennes brandied cherries.

Life is good.

-Mike

How do you know the Old Taylor is pre-Beam? It probably started to be Beam whiskey in about 1993.

I got away from the Noilly path too. Need to get back. Next time, Noilly.

Recently I "learned" that drink garnishes should always be odd numbers, three cherries or five, but not four. Some kind of superstition. I don't have details.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.