help with choosing bourbons

thunderbroom
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm fairly new to bourbon and drinking in general and i'm so glad i found this website. i have learned so much from everyone's posts. Last week i purchased some bourbons discussed here and now that i have had a chance to sample them i was hoping that i could get some recomendations of what to try next.

ewsb 94' -didn't like this one, had an oily feel and green

vegetal taste.

bookers -omg one of my favorites vanilla and cinnamon.

van winkle SR lot b-Top of my list, smooth.

EW weller SR -growing to like this one, very spicy. Woodford reserve -jury is out on this one, nothing has stood out yet, but i have had a lot to taste. drinking.gif

Based on these newbie descriptions what would you guys suggest i try next? forgot to say that i have had maker's. Infact that was my "gateway" bourbon.-daniel

i recommend trying Elijah Craig 12. I really think that it is a good balanced bourbon and very sweet and of course good for just about any budget at 18-20 dollars or so.

I am very fond of Weller 12 year old. It's one of the smoothest bourbons out there, and gets great reviews. For some reason, not many know about it. (great price also!)

I would definitely recommend trying the Wild Turkey products. Russell's Reserve is one of my favorites -- heavy and rich with spice and vanilla. If you want something barrel-proof like Booker's, try the Rare Breed.

You might also try a straight rye for something a bit different but in the same neighborhood. The Wild Turkey rye is fairly easy to find and quite good. Sazerac or Van Winkle Rye are even better, if you can find them.

I would recommend:

<ul type="square">[*]Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve

[*]Eagle Rare Single Barrel

[*]Elijah Craig 12 year

[*]Knob Creek

[*]Wild Turkey Rare Breed (very different than any of the other bourbons on this list)

There are many other wonderful bourbons, but I have not tried them, as availability is extremely limited in my state.

Today i picked up Eagle Rare 10 year, E.C. 12year and i couldn't pass up the last bottle of A.H. hirsch 16 year. i just had a taste of the Eagle rare. I found it pleasant tasting. what really stood out was an almost dusty taste? i mean dusty in a good way. i think i'll keep this one around. thanks for all the advice.-daniel

Good choices! While I haven't had the Eagle Rare 10 year old, I'm assuming that it's similar to the pricier single barrel offering that I recommended. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can comment on the differences for you.

The Elijah Craig 12yr is a love-it-or-hate-it bourbon, but you owe it to yourself to let the bottle grow on you (plus, for ~$15, it's hard to go wrong, and you're bound to have whiskey-drinking friends who'll like it).

Congratulations on finding the Hirsch! I wish I could get my hands on a bottle or two of that stuff. I'm having trouble just getting Blanton's and Rock Hill Farms here, even though they're both listed as being available via special order on my state's liquor control board web site (and in fact, I purchased a bottle of Blanton's in one of our state stores not too long ago). I'm going up to Canada this weekend, so I'm hoping to find something interesting in the duty free shop on the way back home.

I forgot to specify that the Eagle Rare was indeed the Single Barrel you suggested. it's hard keeping track of all these names. i think i even said EW weller in my first post instead if W.L. Weller. How hard is it to get some of these bottlings like the Van winkle SR 12 year lot B or the Eagle Rare? Because they're some of my favorites, I would like to keep them around. Do i need an excuse to clean out the shelf at my local store.-daniel

I'm looking at getting a really good quality bottle once my uni exams are over. Choice here is limited, and all of these are available for about the same price. What would be the suggestion for only 1?

Booker's

Baker's

Knob Creek

Blanton's Original

Jack Daniel's Single Barrel.

I've only ever had a bottle of the Booker's. Wouldn't mind the Blanton's, but it a touch more expensive and requires out of state ordering. JDSB gets good reviews, but I don't like No7 or Gentleman Jack so that puts me off the SB.

The Van Winkles will always be touch and go, as will the Eagle Rare 17-year-old, because the quantities or so small. Eagle Rare Single Barrel 10-year-old should be readily available. At least there are no supply issues, but you never can tell about local distribution.

Out of that group, Blanton's. You've had Booker's so you've had Beam (which is what Knob Creek and Baker's are too) and your logic for not getting the JD is sound as well.

Blanton's for sure. I finally was able to try some in a restaurant the other night, and it lives up to the hype.

pete_d, if you don't mind the out of state ordering - the Australian retailer in Victoria for Old Rip Van Winkle has some stock of Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye for $90 AU (plus shipping to Sydney)

Australian retailer in Victoria for Old Rip Van Winkle has some stock of Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye for $90 AU (plus shipping to Sydney)

soapbox.gif

I harp on this an awful lot, so if people are sick of my bitching, please say so... but why can people in other countries get bottlings of our national spirit that I can't receive in my home state here in the US? confused.gif

Liquor control states are no fun at all. Even when they do have something, it's usually special-order only unless I want the Small Batch collection (which is good), Maker's Mark (which is over-priced) or Ten High puke.gif.

They have no plan to carry any of the Antique Collection (which is understandable given the limited distribution and Vermont's small population). What bugs me is that they won't carry any of the Van Winkles, which I am absolutely dying to try. And the only rye whiskey they carry is Jim Beam yellow label! banghead.gif

Ok, I'm done ranting for now... thanks for listening everyone!

Can't tell you why it is mate. Looks like there's something awfully wrong with governmental policy. Having said that, after yesterday, it looks like there's something afully wrong with government.

I will say that the spirits you can get hold of are A LOT cheaper than we'd ever dream of getting. Maybe it's time to include bourbon in the US/AUS free trade agreement.

They have about 6 bottles of the ORVW 20yo for $400 AU each.... a bit expensive for my drinking. frown.gif

Control states are a special problem, but with a few exceptions what is available only overseas or in duty-free is special packaging or bulk whiskey private labeled, i.e., we aren't missing all that much. Please note I said there are some exceptions, so no one need feel compelled to list them for me, but the bulk of it is nothing special and the other side of the coin is that no one outside the U.S. can get as many genuinely different products as we can.

God Bless America.

Isn't there someplace reasonably close in New York where you can find a good selection?

soapbox.gif

I harp on this an awful lot, so if people are sick of my bitching, please say so... but why can people in other countries get bottlings of our national spirit that I can't receive in my home state here in the US? confused.gif

(snip)

Ok, I'm done ranting for now... thanks for listening everyone!

It sounds really annoying and crazy.gif, but we have to pay way more for bourbon, here in the UK.

What is it ? About four states to cross and you could be there - Kentucky. Get in the car. Tell the wife your taking her on a special road trip smile.gif

It seems that there's no rhyme or reason for it either. Apart from maximising governmental takings of course. However what really gets me annoyed is the inconsistancy is regulations. I was reading the excise duty, customs and tax statutes for the Cth of Australia today to work out any potential loopholes and found several really annoying things:

Australia allows for domestic imports to be exempt from GST, except for Tobacco and Alcohol.

personal imports are exempt from Duty if under 1.125L (that's still only 1x 700ml bottle allowable)

The Duty on Wine was greatly reduced with the WET (Wine Equalisation Tax). However spirits still cop the full duty amount.

It's cheaper to import Crude Oil into the country than personal bottles of alcohol.

Item's like 700ml bottles of Whisky are hammered with $37AUS/Litre duty whilst bizarre items like Livestock, Whales (yes whales) and fresh animal carcasses have no payable duty to them.

Prescribed authorities and the Executive get instant exemption from all customs and duty payments provided they inform Customs with correct documentation ahead of time

What a world we live in...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.