help with choosing bourbons

thunderbroom
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

...and fresh animal carcasses have no payable duty to them.

smilielol.gif See if you can get somebody to send you some Stagg inside a shipment of sowbelly -- or, better yet, an antlered deer head (fresh kill, of course -- it's currently in season).

smilielol.gif See if you can get somebody to send you some Stagg inside a shipment of sowbelly -- or, better yet, an antlered deer head (fresh kill, of course -- it's currently in season).

With the numbskills currently working at Custom's in Australia, I was hoping that the lable for a bottle of Stagg would fool them.

Do you reckon Rock Hill Farms and Blanton's looks like Perfume?

you guys are killing me smilielol.gif

Seriously, if I could a) find a bottle of Stagg and/or Sazerac on the internet and B) find a www retailer who will ship to Australia, then I'd definately try to get a bottle shipped.

As I understand it, if they mark the package as "collectible decanter", "antique whiskey" or some such, it stands a better chance of getting through without attracting customs duty.

I'm not sure if I've mentioned or not, but apparently Customs can't charge you duty if you bring personal bottles into the country with you that have already been opened and partially consumed. Next time I travel, I'll have a quick swig at the airport...

I think I'll wait to order some Blanton's Original from Nicks in Melbourne, although i've seen some killer prices of other bottles around here:

Jim Beam Black for $29

Baker's for $60

Bookers for $68

apparently Customs can't charge you duty if you bring personal bottles into the country with you that have already been opened and partially consumed

Back in February, we took a bottle each to New Zealand for a weekend with friends, so the bottles where partially consumed...

On the way back, we purchased a bottle each, and these where what we declared. The open bottles where in our suitcases. The Customs guys where quite rude and arogant with us that we hadn't declared the open bottles. When I said I wasn't aware we had to, they said quite simply, we had to declare all alcohol.

In contrast, last week when we returned from the UK, I had 3 bottles of bourbon, 3 minatures and a bottle of wine. I declared all and they didn't even blink...just waved us through.. confused.gif

Evening wrbriggs,

I spent a day touring your senic State in the early 90's and after spending the night in Burlington made an easy drive to Washington, DC, before sunset the next day. There are some good liquor purverors in the DC area and the Smithsonian is a great destination for journeys end. The National Zoo also if you have kids who have never seen a live Panda.

So I recommend you go for it. Unfortunately, in our Great Country, one has to travel South to find a decent selection.

Regards,

Squire

you guys are killing me smilielol.gif

Seriously, if I could a) find a bottle of Stagg and/or Sazerac on the internet and B) find a www retailer who will ship to Australia, then I'd definately try to get a bottle shipped.

As I understand it, if they mark the package as "collectible decanter", "antique whiskey" or some such, it stands a better chance of getting through without attracting customs duty.

It will cost you about £76 but you can get the Sazerac.

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/acatalog/The_Whisky_Exchange__BOURBON_149.html

A single bottle that would atract less than $50 would be exempt

Would I be correct in thinking that only applies for personal imports, and ordering stuff over the internet doesn't apply?

Sorry pete I gave you a bum steer there, I have been trying to get exact correct information from BOZOs incoporated but little luck, they don't even seem to understand the exise laws properly.

I had the great pleasure of being charged on the entire contents of 21 bottles instead of the alcohol in these bottles, I am yet see a cheque come back my way, & of course that means extra GST as well!!! banghead.gifbanghead.gif

Can't tell you why it is mate. Looks like there's something awfully wrong with governmental policy. Having said that, after yesterday, it looks like there's something afully wrong with government.

I will say that the spirits you can get hold of are A LOT cheaper than we'd ever dream of getting. Maybe it's time to include bourbon in the US/AUS free trade agreement.

I think you will find it is in the FTA, that does not mean the end of the exise, just the peripherial taxes confused.gif

I must admit, the maze of regulations, by-laws and what-not would make it hard working out the duty payable on any imports especially when factoring in alcoholic content. The customs site doesn't help much either.

Tried some Knob Creek tonight. Was good but didn't bowl me over. Was certainly very smooth to my taste, and a lot less sharp than other 100 proof bourbons I've tried. It just seemed like a dulled down EC12, with less sweetness and vanilla/oak flavours. Certainly more complex than JB Black, but seemed a little tame compared to the Elijah Craig. This was neat, then with ice.

When I asked the woman behind the bar for a KC neat, she just stared at me like I was some sort of freak. Either that, or she was genuinely shocked at anyone ordering anything not JD without coke.

The worlds a funny place, my sister was in the U.S. recently & in some bars was oferred a scotch because the had no bourbon, work that out smilielol.gif

Sorry pete I gave you a bum steer there, I have been trying to get exact correct information from BOZOs incoporated but little luck, they don't even seem to understand the exise laws properly.

I had the great pleasure of being charged on the entire contents of 21 bottles instead of the alcohol in these bottles, I am yet see a cheque come back my way, & of course that means extra GST as well!!! banghead.gifbanghead.gif

How are they supposed to work this out?

Do they only charge you for the alcoholic content of a bottle and then apply the duty (i.e. $33/L + 1.05 +1.1 GST) or they entire contents of the bottle (i.e. number of bottles x 33/L + 1.05 + 1.1 GST)

It would be a lot cheaper if the former. Especially so If you order in lower proof bottles (BT, ETL, ERSB)

If the former, I might consider doing it when current stock runs low. Have to promise not to buy anything anymore..

(For a while)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.