What bourbon are you drinking now?

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Yep, a little too much Elijah Craig 12yo last night may explain the cracking headache I've had today drink.gif

Yep, a little too much Elijah Craig 12yo last night may explain the cracking headache I've had today drink.gif

I've accidentally overdosed on EC12 as well. I just keep wanting one more taste so I pour another finger or two. Never feel like I'm really drunk or anything, but the next morning I get the king of all headaches.

If I have more than 2 pours of bourbon, I do a pre-emptive strike and drink a ton of orange Gatorade and take 2 aspirin before going to bed. Seem to work for me, but it's all just anecdotal evidence.

A little helpful tip, to save yourself from a "few" hangover's smilielol.gif Before you go to bed, drink a glass of water grin.gif Several grin.gif REALLY big glasses if you have consumed alot grin.gif This will help. Not guaranteed, but it will help.

Bettye Jo

Here is a favourite quote from the British writer Kingsley Amis, from his essay, "How Not To Get Drunk" which is included in "The Booze Book", ed. by Ralph Schoenstein, Playboy Press, 1974. Note please Amis is referring to the former British proof system so all the drinks he is referring to are even stronger (by reference to U.S. proof) than may seem the case:

"Avoiding things can hardly help coming up more than once in the present connection. To proceed, then, AVOIDING VERY STRONG DRINKS is more than the piece of padding it may seem. The alcoholic strength or proof of a wine, spirit, etc., is not a straightforward index of its power to intoxicate. The relationship is non-linear, or, if you must have everything spelled out, the graph plotting proof against kick is not straight. Above the standard strength of spirits it bends sharply upward, so that for instance green Chartreuse, which is distilled out at 96 proof, is not just a bit over a third as strong as, say, a gin at 70, but several times stronger in its effect. I once shared a half-litre of Polish Plain Spirit (140 proof) with two chums. I only spoke twice, first to say, "Cut out that laughing - it can't have got to you yet," and not all that much later to say, "I think I'll go to bed now".

Gary smile.gif

Did you ever stop to think that when you are drinking bourbon in Australia, you are basically standing on your head in comparison to someone drinking it in Kentucky at the same time? My advice is to drink lying on your side for a while and the headaches should decrease by half. skep.gifcrazy.gifskep.gif

Well, I'm doing a personal taste-around tonight: started with Benraich, a recently defunct Scotch (10yo, 86 proof); then opened my first bottle of '04 Sazerac rye (a disappointment -- will have to revisit soon and hope it's my mood and not the whiskey); I currently have full-proof (129) '04 Stagg in my glass (always a treat -- always!); and, if that doesn't make me numb, I may add a wheater as a finale (probably Stitzel-Weller-distilled Weller Special Reserve 7yo).

As you might have guessed, I'm free to sleep in in the morning.

After a day in bed from too much EC 12yo, and what was probably more migraine than hangover....

I gently eased into last nights dinner party with a Van Winkle 13yo Rye on ice, followed by a neat Van Winkle 10yo Bourbon.

Dinner of Marinated Roast Lamb (garlic & Rosemary) with gravy, mint & creamy potato, & vegies done in chicken broth was complimented by a Wild Turkey Rare Breed on ice.

After desert I finished the night with a Buffalo Trace on ice.

Plenty of water and a couple of glasses of Kentucky Gold & Coke broke up the night and ensured I didn't wake up too bad again this morning laugh.gif.

Last night a jigger of the Evan Williams Single Barrel 1994. I look forward to sampling the 1995 but I think it will be hard to improve on the 1994. It has a very "real" character, big, mature, honest, very flavourful. This bourbon is one that I find stands out in all cocktails, you can never mistake it, and while many like it neat its mint-like, layered background blends well with a sprinkle of cola or the accoutrements of an Old-Fashioned or Manhattan.

By the way I always enjoy reading the house newsletter which Bettye Jo has just put on the board. I like its approach, informative and business-driven but respectful of the employees and the heritage of the company. It is always pleasing too to see names which many bourbon enthusiasts know are associated to a further degree in some way with the distilled spirits industry in Kentucky, just on a quick scan in this issue I saw the names Cecil, Willett, DeSpain; of course, Bettye Jo and Parker and Craig Beam come first to mind. I am sure there are many more.

Long live Heaven Hill.

Gary

Heh, last night for me it was Seagram's Seven & Ginger ale (I know it's not bourbon, but it was as close as I could get ). Had to go to an event at an Elk's club about an hour away (an hour away from my area in any direction is wilderness). Needless to say their selection was somewhat limited. Tonight I plan on having some Woodford Reserve followed by some Old Grand Dad 114. And then I guess I'll have to see where the mood takes me for subsequent pours. yum.gif

Pappy Van Winkle 15 year old, in celebration of the Patriots whooping the Steelers.

Go Pats! toast.gif

Oh, and Pappy 15 is damn tasty. drink.gif Probably my favorite bourbon that I currently own, even better than the Pappy 20.

Ike,

I am not about to start making medical claims for our bourbons, however, we did distill during Prohibition, strictly for medicinal purposes!

Ken

Just finished the bottle of VW 20yo that we bought for the holidays frown.gif. Now onto the ORVW 15yo....Waitin for the store to get some more EC 18yo, doesn't seem to be makin it's way north for some reason..... toast.gif

I had some friends over last Thursday to enjoy a bottle of Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit. We drank it out of Riedel Bourbon glasses. I have been a fan of Wild Turkey 101 for a while now and believe Kentucky Spirit to be a nice refinement of the original. My friends and I had a great time.

Tonight I'm having a pour of Jefferson's. I've had this bottle awhile, and wasn't too impressed when I first tried it, so it sat on the shelf for awhile. But tonight I'm having some on ice, and it's a pleasant surprise...rich and tasty with hints of carmel...much better than I remembered! I like this better than Jefferson's Reserve, which is considerably more expensive (at least out here in California).

Last night, I had what I refer to as a "mini-Gillman", though I suppose it could also rightfully be called a "GillManhattan" -- anyway, a concoction similar to a Manhattan sparked by Gary's discussion of his experiementations with the cocktail.

Frankly, I haven't found anything approaching a traditional Manhattan I care for. So, instead of throwing the fixin's away, I poured out half the cherry juice and replaced it with a mix of sweet vermouth (Noilly Prat) and a few splashes of bitters (Angostura). Then, I simply drop a cherry or two into a 2- to 3-oz pour of bourbon. Last night, I had two cherries in the remaining bit of a bottle of Noah's Mill.

It's a nice change once in a while, without much thought or effort or, for that matter, change to the bourbon. And the cherry is a good chaser.

Bourbon crooked with a cherry back?

Right now it's a small pour of Old Fitz BIB over an ice cube. I'm baking salmon tonight and this bourbon seemed the best dinner preparation partner (DPP). Chardonnay is on tap for dinner, but I'll probably revisit this one before bed yum.gif

Old Ezra 15 y/o. This is my first, and apparently my last bottle of this gem. It's well below half full at this point. I sip it sparingly.

The nose is full of pears and custard pudding or maybe banana pie. The sweetness disappears on the palate, replaced by essence of charred oak. However, hints of sweetness return at the mostly dry finish.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Funny about 15 Y/O Ezra B SB. Its so good.

I have a bottle of the new 12 y/o and am ready to pour it down the drain. Tastes like wet peet moss with corn husks in it. How could they be so different?

Ed

An object lesson in the perils of bottler brands. They are limited by the bulk whiskey available for purchase. In the case of David Sherman with Ezra Brooks, not only did they have to convert if from a 15-year-old to a 12-year-old, they apparently couldn't even buy any decent 12-year-old whiskey.

The producers of bulk whiskey are all companies that market their own brands and into which stream do you think they put their best whiskey?

The only shame in this is that it was largely the independent bottlers who created the market for extra-aged bourbon, which the distillers are now taking over, but who can blame them?

All's fair in love and whiskey.

Cameron, I will be interested in your assessment of the Sazerac Rye and the Van Winkle Rye. Merry Christmas!

Ken

Ken, I'll hopefully be tasting both again Saturday night and will write down some observations as I drink...

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!