What bourbon are you drinking now?

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I made an Old Fashion with OGD BIB. I haven't made too many cocktails - usually drink neat - but while the OGD makes the best Manhattan of those I tried, I think the VOB 90 may have been a better Old Fashion. Maybe a difference in technique; like I said, I haven't made many cocktails. But the VOB has certainly impressed, esp. since it is the cheapest 750 bottle I have, including Rebel Yell.

I had my first Baker's the other night. "Sweet nutiness" is a good phrase. I also think I found the "dry yeast" some have talked about.

Bob

Given that this is a special week for us, I'm having my second pour in three days of Evan Williams Millenium. I'm getting a very delicate floral nose with a hint of caramel in the background. That characteristic Heaven Hill (grassy?) flavor is a bit more understated in this bottle (decanter) but definitely there. The finish is a bit hot and spicy, even after a splash of water to open things up, but there is a nice lingering woody/oaky bite that I like a lot.

All in all, I think the EW SB 1994 and probably other vintages are as good if not a little better, but this is quite enjoyable. And it's fun pouring out of a globe. I had one of the "leaky" ones, so I didn't think it was such a big deal to open it and enjoy.

Ah, ranking the Beam Small Batch Collection. Interesting.

1) Booker's

2) Knob Creek

3) Baker's

I can't honestly rank Basil Hayden's, as I have never tasted it. But, I do not drink 80 proof whiskey, as a rule.

Tim

Wild Turkey 101.

After I spent 20 or more hours over the last several days trying to dog-proof 200 feet of chain link fence, one of my wife's dogs, the instigator of this whole episode due to his past escapes, tore through it in less than two hours while we were out shopping early this evening. I would have bet an important body part that he couldn't escape. I'm glad I didn't have that opportunity. (My dog Brewski was safely tucked away indoors in his crate.)

I needed a no nonsense, easy to take, guaranteed relaxation agent -- with no distracting nuances. I poured myself a double. I may have another.

(Coded message follows: The Old Rawhide shipment will be delayed another couple of days.)

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Pappy 15.

It is a Friday night, it has been a very full week, and I am on my second Pappy 15, there may be a third and possibly a fourth. This is really good stuff.

I agree that Bakers is not appreciated or tried often enough. Of course you need a pair of pliers to open the damn thing,but that aside it has a wonderful snap of rye that dominates , and for 107 proof it is easy to drink neat.

Wild Turkey Freedom tonight, been a while since I tapped this bottle. Getting more alcohol burn that I remembered, but also getting the smokey sweet wood that I did remember. Good stuff, too bad it is unavailable except when I travel.

My list; Bakers, Bookers, Knob, Basil. I put JB black between Knob and Basil. I really like the woody/nutty flavor of Bakers.

Just opened a split-label bottle of Wild Turkey 12yo I found the other day, just to remind myself why I'm hesitant to open the other five I have bunkered. Jeff, here's you some orange-peel candy in a bottle. That's what both the nose and finish bring to mind. On the palate, there is also a look-at-me background of caramel, with the WT trademark spicy heat of the rye. Leather, too.

As prototype bourbon, this'll do. This'll do fine. yum.gif

I cracked open my WT12, the other day and it reminded me of a fruitier, smoother version of the 101 8YO. It is one of the smoothest whisky's I've ever tasted and the mouthfeel reminds me of good Cognac. Unlike Cognac it tasted fantastic.

I was looking for something different to take to a night out tonight.....ended up grabbing a bottle of Virgin Bourbon.

Absolutely fantastic yum.gif Nice orange hints with a fruity finish. A smooth tasting bourbon with a good kick... A very sharp contrast to the Bulleit that we were drinking every other as well.

(and the name certainly got a few comments laugh.gif)

We finally got the Evan Williams Single Barrel ' 95 in PA. smile.gif I bought a bottle yesterday. It is great! I noticed a big difference from the '94. The '95 has a strong vanilla taste up front. It's not as spicy as I like. But very delicious! drink.giftoast.gif

Fred, we also received our first '95 EWSB (Barrel 72) Thursday. We've already sold two of the six-bottle case. One of the buyers returned today and noted a 'creaminess' to it. That is exactly the term Gary and Mardee Regan use in their "Ardent Spirits" newsletter to describe its difference to previous EWSBs. I'm anxious to try it, but did not yet buy a bottle since I have half remaining in my open '94.

Last night, I had that '94 EWSB, along with a couple of ounces each of EW1783 and HH 10yo BIB. Sort of a Heaven Hill comparison theme. drink.gif

For tonight's motif, I am attempting to at least sample some of each of the 90-proof whiskeys I have open, which include OC "Classic 12" (Louisville rendition), ER17 '04, Old Fitz 1849, Sazerac rye '04, Van Winkle 12yo Old Time rye, Weller Special Reserve 7yo (Louisville/Stitzel-Weller distillate) and Yellowstone (current Sherman bottling). The pours will be shallow, or I won't remember much about the latter ones drinking.gif.

If I make it through all of them tonight, I guess tomorrow will be whatever's left (WT12, here I come -- again! yum.gif).

Tim, the strong vanilla I got must be the creaminess the Regans mention. Ours bottles are from barrel #130. Barreled 8-17-95 and bottled 2-1-05! I never drank a bourbon 10 days after bottling. smile.gifdrink.giftoast.gif

That (WT 101) is what I had with my Valentine's dinner, last night. Everything was superb. $13 per pound filet mignon, pan broiled in butter an extra virgin olive oil. Large gourmet Idaho potatoes, baked. Spinach souffle. French Bordeaux wine. Caramel frosted layer cake. Heavenly!

Tim

For me it was Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve. I find this far, far better than the bottle of Rare Breed that I have tried. I would have to rank RR in my top 5 bourbons.

I was drinking some old grand dad 114 other night, and just happened to see on the label that it came from frankfort-clermont ky.My regular bottle of ogd was labelled the same. I know that these brands were at one time owned by national distillers in Frankfort, but that was 20+ years ago. I checked all of my beam products and some are labelled just clermont and some are labelled clermont-frankfort. If Beam is in clermont and boston why the use of frankfort on the label?

Jim Beam, has a facility in Frankfort. I met Peter Sobel, during the grand opening of the visitor center. I knew he was from Beam's...Sooooooo...I asked him who the "The Big Cheese" in the group with Freddy Noe?...He laughed, and then said, "you got that one right" grin.gif He is the Senior Vice President of Jim Beam, Harry Groth grin.gif...

I went over and introduced myself grin.gif They were a really great group of guys grin.gifgrin.gif I took alot of pictures. I was afraid that I would forget thier names...I grabbed Peter, and asked him to write down all the names so that when I posted thier pictures, I would get it right...He kindly took the time and wrote down everyone's names and titles...I asked him to write his name and title...He wrote...Peter Sobel, Plant Manager, Jim Beam, Frankfort.

Bettye Jo

Jim Beam has a plant called "Old Grand Dad" on the east side of Frankfort. They also use Old Crow which has a Frankfort address.

I'm traveling with Val on business this week.....in Las Vegas. Last night it was the Old Rip Van Winkle 10/90 older version at the bar in Delmonico's follwed by a Blanton's at the MGM. First time for the ORVW 10/90 as I've always bought the 107. The bar here also has the Pappy 20 and 23......may try those tonight.

Randy

Last night was OGD114, one of my favorites, which I introduced to a few friends, as well.

There was some skepticism surrounding the fact that it was "old grand dad", which certain people believed to be bottom-shelf swill. All of this skepticism disappeared with their first nosings and sips. smile.gif

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!