Why does bourbon appeal to you...

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

What is it about the taste itself that appeals to you more than other drink choices?

Good question. For me, bourbon has a lot of flavor and is complex enough to be interesting, to provoke some thinking, but it's always easy to drink. Except for some very young bourbons, it's always enjoyable and I think that is due to the sweetness that underlies everything. Liqueurs for the most part I find too sweet, rums too, and while I do enjoy other whiskies, some I find more interesting than enjoyable. The final kicker for me is bang for the buck. Bourbon is just such a good value. For example, I probably would drink cognac much more often than I do if the good ones weren't so expensive. Everything else that I like about as well as bourbon is a lot more expensive.

Did the ryed bourbons shock your palate initially after being accustomed to wine for so long? Some people who like beer see analogies to whiskey (the cereal-based taste) but I believe you do not sample beer, or very often.

Well, you know, Gary -- though I've come to enjoy a good wine with a good meal, the ones for which I've most had an affinity from the beginning are dessert wines, such as Sauternes or Tokaji, the best of which balance the sweetness with some acidity, and have some body. Substitute 'rye' or 'spiciness' for 'acidity' -- sound familiar? So, while I already had some knowledge and appreciation of wine, the ones I liked best had some qualities which can be related to bourbon.

You're right, I've never been a beer drinker but, as noted above, I nonetheless found some analogies to wine. I'll also note that many of us also enjoy fine cognac (except for the price), yet another grape-based spirit.

And, no, I was never overwhelmed by the rye-ness of most bourbons, and I have no explanation of that. In fact, as I've stated here several times, I generally prefer straight rye to those bourbons which have heavier-than-normal rye contents -- e.g., Old Grand-Dad, Bulliet -- an oddity that also seems counterintuitive.

I too liked wheaters for a long time but now don't drink them except for (when I can get it) ORVW 15 year old bourbon.

I wish more people had the opportunity to try Maker´s black seal. This is easily on a par with anything you´d care to mention from Buffalo Trace, Wild Turkey or Julian. Honest!

Some people who like beer see analogies to whiskey (the cereal-based taste) but I believe you do not sample beer, or very often.

Count me in as someone who greatly enjoys beer, although Bourbon is still my poison of choice. I'll also drink wine, but almost exclusively with a meal. Bourbon is the only beverage that I'll pour just for the sake of having one.

I like the flavor(s) in bourbon. And I like knowing NOTHING was added to it to make it taste "better". It is the REAL deal. And, it is a purely American product - those are darn hard to find these days. I'd rather put my $$ to work keeping Americans employed than Canuks or Limeys.

toast.gif

When I drink bourbon, I am staying in touch with my Kentucky roots, of which I am very proud. Heritage was the word Chuck Cowdery used and it sure fits. I drink fine wines, cheap domestic beer, and my spirit of choice is always bourbon. The taste is tantalizing and I also think there is some sense of, dare I say, rugged manliness that is embodied by the drink. I think of outlaws playing poker with pistols slung on both hips knocking back snorts of bourbon whiskey (except the bottle says XXX on it). Kenny Rogers often mentions our beloved spirit in his songs. Of course so does George Thoroughgood, Willie Nelson, and countless others. Bourbon is where I'm from, and who I am.

I had no idea that bourbon was considered by some people to be a "low quality, moonshine type product." Seriously. I had no such idea. Today, I read about this view in this forum. I don't like that idea at all.

I agree with you Syd but the impression you mentioned remains widespread (in my experience). It is one of many popular misconceptions, but hopefully is on its way out.

Gary

I had no idea that bourbon was considered by some people to be a "low quality, moonshine type product." Seriously. I had no such idea. Today, I read about this view in this forum. I don't like that idea at all.

Whiskey/bourbon -- both in early forms and modern -- has been a stalwart of American enterprise and governance. Among other things, it made corn a profitable cash crop on the frontier as much by its portability as potability -- which, in turn, helped finance the frontier's westward drive -- and provided a very large part of the federal government's funding during much of the pre-Prohibition era (excise taxes, most generally on alcohol and tobacco, amounted to well over half of federal revenues in those days). Even today, as one can tell by the ruckus in KY over a liquor sales tax, it is important to both government and industry.

So, whiskey/bourbon is among the handful of things without which it can be argued America wouldn't be America. But precious few know this history, and so it's reputation has been shaped by the temperance leagues and Prohibitionists.

Without belittling the tragedy which is alcohol abuse, I'd posit that whiskey's uses have been far more beneficial to the country than its abuses costly.

For me it's simple, Bourbons taste good. there are many various flavors witin the drink. and on the occaision that I can sit down, relax, and somtimes have a fine cigar, bourbon is the drink of choice.

I think I'll go pour a Wild Turkey Rare Breed now. CHEERS!

I had no idea that bourbon was considered by some people to be a "low quality, moonshine type product."

This has, for long, been a widespread notion in Sweden. I´m beginning to sense a modest wind of change,though.

The blame, I think, lies at least partly with the bourbon industry itself and the way they chose to promote themselves earlier on.

When I think about how misunderstood bourbon is, part of me thinks, "Good, more for me." But the other part realizes that it has been the improved reputation of bourbon, especially in Japan and other foreign markets, that has made so many of today's best products available for the rest of us.

Obviously the smell / taste / colour is the main factor. Bourbon is like a single idea expressed perfectly.

I like the history of Bourbon and how it ties in with American history and the frontier spirit. Bourbon has soul.

I like surpirising Scotch drinkers, with American whisky other than JD or JB white. You always know when you've got an immediate convert smile.gif

And finally I like to drink Bourbon because I feel I am rebelling against the half-witted middle class 'cognoscenti', that are over represented in the UK by our left wing media, who think it's clever to rubbish America and everything American.

...Bourbon is like a single idea expressed perfectly...

Very nicely stated. I'm an avid reader, and among my varied literary interests, I enjoy crime novels, within genre there are a number of long-time serial authors (Robert B. Parker, John Sandford, Michael Connelly, James Patterson) who feature and/or reintroduce many of the same characters in story after story. That's bourbon, to me -- though the plot lines differ from bottle to bottle and keep the series new and interesting, my steady relationship with the main characters (corn, wheat, rye, wood) allows each story to intertwine with the others and form a comfortable familiarity.

I know what's in the bottle each time I open a new bourbon -- but I'm excited to find out where the plot line leads me.

Tim,

Thanks and I know exactly what you mean. I had a glass of ER 17YO and some Blanton's Silver last night. Both such great whiskies that show their constituent components in their own unique way.

For me it is taste and tradition. I was first introduced to bourbon - Old Grand Dad nearly 30 years ago by Scotish gentelman who I often played golf with. He is long gone but his love of good American spirits lives on. I had asked him why boubon and not scotch from his native country. He was amazed that we Americans did not realize what a good thing we had right under our noses. For him it was the taste of bourbon. Once every two years or so when we play a course near where he lived I make it a point to stop by his grave an give thanks over tumbler of OGD BIB. Some things are hard to explain. Some things need no explaination.

Well, there is a link back to Scotland with bourbon and this nice story reflects that. I think Scots who like whisky can recognise something of their national spirit in bourbon, bourbon in other words carries a distant echo of its origins. Dr. James Crow was a Scots immigrant to America. The surname Craig is a Scots name. George Washington employed a distiller not long in America from the auld sod. The early 1800's whiskey writer Samuel M'Harry (surely) was of Scots or Scots-Irish descent. The drink they made in the U.S.A. was different from scotch whisky but still had certain ties to it: both had a smoky taste, both were made from cereal grain, both were (mostly) not flavored with additives and both were genuine, aged whiskey not a bland neutral alcohol. It is like when the British first heard rock and roll in the 1950's and took to it like nobody's business. Why? Because it was in some sense their own, they saw their distant cousins in America playing a music they could still relate to, since common ancestors originated a good chunk of it. Names like Cochran, Presley, Haley, Lewis, Holly, Cash, Perkins, and I can go on and on were British names, not Polish or Jewish or Syrian names (people from these backgrounds contributed to rock music but that was after). There is a direct cultural connection there, and same thing with whiskey. I know rye whiskey has other, or additional, associations (German-American, mainly) but I am thinking primarily of bourbon. Of course this is not a scientific conclusion, but I think it is based on more than impression, too. Thus, the original Messrs. Beam and Dickel may have been German immigrants but I am describing what I believe is (or rather was) a general tendency.

Gary

Hi Bamber,

I appreciate what you had to say, too.

Mostly I love bourbon for the way it tastes. And for how it makes me feel. I don't mean drunk, though it can and does have that effect on me! smile.gif No, somehow, when I take a sip of good bourbon, a smile comes to my lips and I feel happy.

I also love the history (or maybe lore is the word I am looking for) of bourbon and want to know more about it. I enjoy other spirits as well, notably malt whisky from Scotland, Ireland and Japan and the malt based blends from those countries, too. I have one bottle of tequila open and am enjoying that. I will be getting a few more of those in the future. I don't drink wine much at all. Dessert wines are okay, I like a port once in a while. The wines that are highly thought of burn my throat and give my instant heartburn. No, Thanks! I like good beer and Japanese beer is pretty good beer. Beer is dangerous stuff though, I tend to inhale it at high speed. I would rather sip good bourbon.

Ed

Hi Ed,

I'm always trying to enjoy wine but I still can't really get my head around it, especially white wine, which seems to give me an instant headache.

Bourbon's the drink for all occasions smile.gif

I like bourbon because....

1)appealing color

2)such a sweet aroma

3) rich, dense, and multilayered flavors

4) The heritage

5) i like knowing that im a rare species in san diego.

• 3 months later...

The age and the price. smile.gif

Bourbon makers are the only spirit producers I can think of that still seem to believe that quality spirits aren't just something the rich should be able to afford. I appreciate that a lot.

Bourbon makers also put out a lot of OLD spirit. I hear people sort of off-handedly mentioning 10 year and 15 year old spirits as a given, but to me, well, 15 years is a long time. Trying to think of all the stuff that's gone on in the past 15 years in a single instance is almost a bit overwhelming. And summing it all up in a couple of ounces of muddy brown liquid? Amazing!

Drinking something 10-15 years old to me is a reflective practice. It helps me remember what I've been up to these past 10 to 15 years. Helps me keep in touch with my past so I can face my future with a clearer head. smile.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Good question. For me it is the taste of bourbon. This is so mainly with bourbon sampled neat ... Second to bourbon for me is good malt (Scotch) whisky

I suppose bourbon just sort of snuck up on me. I was/am really into microbrews, and I've enjoyed single malt scotch for many years. When the small batch collection first came out (5 or 10 years or so ago)with Booker, Basil, Baker and the rest, I started enjoying Basil Haydens.But, brews first, wine second, scotch third, martinis next, and as an afterthought, bourbon.Then I wanted to try some classic cocktails, so I picked up a bottle of Knob Creek for some Manhattans. It was fine for a "fling". I have been reading Malt Advocate for years (when I can find it)for their scotch reviews, when I started reading about bourbon. So about six month's or so ago, I bought a bottle of Evan Williams Single Barrel 95. I was hooked. I loved the flavor, mouthfeel, nose, everything about it. And it was $20.00. Springbank Scotch on sale is $40.00, but I liked this better, or at least differently. Then, I found the Pappys;my first bottle was the 15 yr old. Then the Lot B 12, then the holy grail, at least for me, the 20. Now, because of this site, I've tried so many different bottles; Old Grand Dad 114, Black Maple Hill, Old Forester 100, Jeffererson Reserve, 1792 Richmount, Old Rip Van Winkle 10 yr, and others.I even tried Wild Turkey, the first since my youthful party days (back then we mixed it with Coke, didn't know better); although it was the more refined Russell's Reserve and then Rare Breed. Scotch never took me by storm this way. Sure, I'm proud it's American, but it's the flavour and the price (buying all this bourbon would have easily cost me 5-6 times more had it have been scotch). Now, I am looking forward to driving from Colorado to the Bourbon Festival in September, to tour, to meet fellow enthusiasts, and to try (if there is anything left by then!)some new bottlings.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.