Why does bourbon appeal to you...

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm rather tardy in posting to this thread, but thought I would add my story nonetheless. The first bottle of bourbon I purchased or even tried was Evan Williams shortly after my 21st birthday. I wasn't terribly fond of it calling it a Jack Daniels look-a-like. The bottle stayed around for a few years until I finally finished it while fending off a nasty cold. A strayed away from bourbon for several years after my bottle of EW mostly drinking Canadian 12 year for whiskey and began enjoying the art of crafting home brew. 8 or 9 years ago I decided to give bourbon another try. A bottle of Blanton's had caught my eye for awhile at my local liquor store and I finally decided to give it a chance when they put the bottle on sale. I was very impressed with it and soon added a bottle of Hancock's Reserve. 2 years later I discovered Old Rip Van Winkle. The labling caught my eye and soon the bourbon was my overwhelming favorite. I have went on to try many bourbons over the last 5 years, but still have many dozen more to try.

I'm a real odd duck when it comes to liquor in general. I can't handle wine, have never tried Budweiser(some kids actually do listen to their father), and have never tried or wanted to try tequila. Usually keep a bottle of Grey Goose on hand. Havana Club 7 year is the only rum I keep around. No Gin for me... I do dabble in a little single malt. I sure do miss paying 40 dollars for a bottle of Macallan 18. Oh well, I prefer bourbon over scotch by a large margin anywho.

Another late poster...

I started out with single malts, and I still like them a lot. However, they tend to be a bit hard on the wallet, between the weak dollar and the cost of shipping stuff overseas. I used to think along the lines of "all bourbons are alike," but I've found that's definitely not the case. There's easily as much variety in bourbon as there is from anything overseas.

Aside from being generally a better value (in my reckoning, a given tier of bourbon generally costs about half of what an equivalent-tier Scotch costs), I'm finding that bourbon is more appealing in hot summer weather than a peaty Islay Scotch... though I do like an occasional peat fix, even in summer. Speyside Scotches are also good summer pours, but I can get two bottles of Old Fitz BIB for the price of one bottle of Aberlour 10...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.