Chicago WhiskeyFest

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Chicago WhiskeyFest is April 13. Looking at the flyer, I found some of the featured whiskies interesting. In many cases, these are people who haven't exhibited in the past.

<ul type="square"> [*]Apparently Kentucky Distillers Ltd. or someone representing them will be there, as Kentucky Vintage, Noah's Mill, Pure Kentucky and Rowan's Creek are all listed. [*]Beam is bringing Jim Beam Black in addition to the Small Batch Collection. [*]Ridgement Reserve 1972 is listed. Barton is a Chicago company, but they have never exhibited before. [*]DISCUS is listed as an exhibitor. I wonder if they'll have any of the Geo. Washington whiskey to taste? [*]Once again, Dickel will be featuring No. 12 only (listed as "12 yr" on the sheet, a mistake, I assume). [*]Something called "Hirsch Selection" will be feature a "10 yr. Canadian Rye" and an "American Rye." [*]Separately, Michter's will be featuring its 10 yr. bourbon and rye, and US#1 American whiskey and rye.

Also of interest, long-time and recently retired Brown-Forman master distiller Lincoln Henderson will be there, representing Suntory Yamazaki.

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday I played in a charity golf tournament here in Houston. One of our foursome was an Allied Domecq VP from Detroit (the brother-in-law of one of my friends in the group). Anyway, he offered up some VIP passes to the Whiskyfest ......along with a box of MM cigars, Sauza Hornitos miniatures, etc. After checking airfares to Chicago ($175 r/t), I took him up on his offer. I plan on arriving Tuesday and making the Twisted Spoke Open House Tuesday night, Whiskyfest on Wednesday, and hitting those famous Chicago liquor stores somewhere in between.

Anyone else attending? Don't know Chicago and would be glad to meet up with any SB'rs for dinner/luch/drinks/etc.

Randy

Randy I would love to come but just came from a Portland, OR beer and wine fest and this one is too close.

I am sure you will have a great time. Chuck can fill you in more of course but I suggest on your trip:

i) you have a drink at the long bar at Berghoff downtown, a surviving pre-WW I saloon such as you don't see much anymore in America. They have house 10 and 14 year old bourbons which are I believe are Van Winkle-supplied and are very good, especially the 14 year old - they also sell these for takeaway in the corner sales booth (the set-up of bar on the left as you walk in and corner takeaway booth is mentioned by Carson as typical of the old saloons). The beers are good too. The restauarnt adjoining is also nice including the decor which again has an old-fashioned feel

ii) Binnies and Sam's are musts. If you can do only one, I would choose Sam's.

iii) make sure you try Chicago deep dish pizza

iv) if you have time, take the river architectural tour

v) I know Chuck will mention Delilah's whisky bar, so I won't. smile.gif

Gary

Binny's is having a tasting on the night of the 12th, 5 to 8 PM. Then the Twisted Spoke after that.

Preston & I will be at Delilah's guest bartending after the WhiskyFest on the 13th. He makes a mean Old Fashion!

Julian

Good to hear the Van Winkles appreciate a good cocktail. We here tend (sometimes) to focus overly on whiskey taken neat, yet it is salutary to recall that great whiskey makes great cocktails. I know, I am sampling an ORVW 15 year old bourbon Manhattan as I type. Sorry I won't be able to attend Delilah's as "taken over" by the Van Winkles, but I look forward to meeting Julian, and Preston if present, at "Gazebo night", April 30, Bardstown.

Reading Gerald Carson's book has only deepened my appreciation of the heritage and contribution of this family to whiskey in America.

Gary

Hey Julian.....looking forward to visiting with you again and meeting Preston and his "mean" Old Fashion. Sounds like I need to incorporate my stop at Binny's to coincide with your tasting. The Twisted Spoke, Whiskyfest and Delilah's on one trip.......I'm really going to have to pace myself. And the Cubs are in town too! Mind if I bring a couple of my SR 12yo's for you to sign?

Randy

My dance card is pretty full but I look forward to seeing Randy and any other SBers at Twisted Spoke and WhiskeyFest. For some other tips for Chicago visitors, go here.

This is an event I really wanna be, I am arriving in the states on the 23rd

a little late to meet Randy and all others. Julian come to the Fest in Tokyo

in the future, I will drag you around this small island personally till sunrize.

And say Hi! to the two gentlemen in the picture for me. tell them I really

wanted to came. If these two and Randy,Julian were not at the auction in

Bourbon Fes. things are much easier to buy cool.gif

Koji

post-74-14489811803928_thumb.jpg

For those who don't know, Julian Van Winkle is on the right, Mike Miller (owner of Delilah's) is in the middle and Mitch Einhorn (owner of Twisted Spoke) is on the left.

Hi Chuck

Thanks for helping me with the name.

This September before the festival I plan to go to Chicago again so I hope

we can meet at Delilah's and have a drink with Mike.

Koji toast.gif

Koji.....Sorry we're going to miss you at Whiskeyfest.....but arriving on the 23rd......will you be at the Sampler in Bardstown? We hope to see you there and taste some great bourbons together.

I'll try to remember to bring a camera to Chicago and post some followup pictures from the Twisted Spoke, etc.

Randy

Hi Randy

Yes I will be at the Sampler laugh.gif

And I will stay at the Best Western for a few days with some editors of a

whiskey magazine from Japan. Lets have a nice time in Bardstown.

Koji toast.gif

Koji,

I just got your new magazine (The Whiskey World) in the mail...It's beautiful grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif The photography is just awsome grin.gifgrin.gif Wish I knew what it said frown.gif

Looking forward to your visit grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Bettye Jo

post-20-14489811804168_thumb.jpg

Shoot...I messed up! I tried to edit but the time expired.

Here is the front cover grin.gifgrin.gif

Bettye Jo

post-20-14489811807204_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Here's some pictures from Chicago Whiskey Fest. This one is me, Julian, and Preston at the Old Rip booth.

post-903-14489811848968_thumb.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.