Bourbon Finds

luv2hunt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I now have a habit of stopping at every liquor store I drive by just because you never know what you'll find! searching.gif Today I came home with 10 bottles of the early 90's 12yo Wild Turkey (gold foil...fake tax stamp)

Yesterday it was 6 bottles of Stagg.

What did you find today?

Dawn

Old Rip Van Winkle 15 year in the old squat bottle! Still confused about the whole ORVW 15 yr thing. Saw a post on another web site by a guy who tasted it alongside the 15 yr Pappy Van Winkle and said they're totally different animals. When I emailed Julian at Van Winkle, he said, same animal different bottle...guess he should know. But what the heck, bought a handful of these anyway. I know I love it so why take a chance, I kinda like the bottle with Rip on it anyhow!

Today I came home with 10 bottles of the early 90's 12yo Wild Turkey (gold foil...fake tax stamp)

Yesterday it was 6 bottles of Stagg.

Wow! Ten bottles!! How old are they to have the fake tax stamp, since the '92 bottles I found just have the foil top.

That's quite a find compared to the recent one bottle that a "little birdie" told be about a couple of weeks ago. Now I don't feel so bad about picking it up.

wink.gif

I'm pretty sure the WT's are the first bottling..'90? cool.gif

Dawn

On the way home yesterday I took a different route. Saw a Liquor store I didn't know existed. Stopped in and found a bottle of ER17 and sazerac 18 both from the 2003 release.

Your post prompted me to stop at a small store directly across from my office which I had never bothered to visit. I am now the owner of a complete "Bourbon Heritage Collection" including the George Dickel Special Barrel Reserve. I actually like the VSOF 12yo and Weller but the IW Harper 15yo is somewhat light. Now where am I going to put these on display?

Randy

I should say it would look smashing in the east wing of the Blank estate. The west wing is full of Van Blankle and Stagg.

Which liquor store did you go to? I live on the North side of Indianapolis and the bourbon pickings are thin in the liquor stores around me.

I hit the jackpot today, landing possession of one bottle WT Tribute, a Black Maple Hill 16 (which I've never tried) and a bottle of Stagg. This was a wonderful trifecta!

I hit the jackpot today, landing possession of one bottle WT Tribute, a Black Maple Hill 16 (which I've never tried) and a bottle of Stagg. This was a wonderful trifecta!

All bottles I'd give my right arm to locate - well done!! Enjoy laugh.gif

Was that BMH bottled in Lawrenceburg or Bardstown? I have only tasted the Bardstown bottling and it is one of my favorites, though others have stated that the Lawrenceburg bottling is very good.

The BMH 16 was bottled in Bardstown. I wasn't aware of a Lawrenceburg bottling. Wouldn't that imply that it wasn't distilled at Heaven Hill? What is the exact story behind BMH anyway?

BMH bottled in Lawrenceberg is likely Stitzel Weller whiskey, bottled by Julian Van Winkle. yum.gif

Yesterday I happened into a shop that had a bottle of I W Harper KSB 15 yo Gold Label($43) and a bottle of Classic cask 17yo.($59). I did not have the cash. Should I go back today. Has anyone tried either?

Since the IW Harper is no longer available.....it may be your only chance to try it!

Doc,

Skip the 15 y/o Harper. It's a mild 40 proof bourbon leftover from the Heritage collection. But the 17-yr Classic Cask is among my personal favorites, exceptional stuff even if it's a bit overpriced at $59.

Cheers,

Omar

Well, the Harper 15yo is increasingly rare -- part of the Bourbon Heritage Collection produced by United Distillers a dozen or so years ago -- but quite ordinary otherwise. The Classic Cask ryes, on the other hand, are generally pretty highly regarded. I was not aware of a 17yo.

Well, that is one way of looking at it, but that's a lot of money to pay for a fairly ordinary whiskey. skep.gif

Tim

Skip the 15 y/o Harper. It's a mild 40 proof bourbon leftover from the Heritage collection.

It is the hard one to find of the 5. I did know where some Dickel SB was to round that out, and one may or may not stumble upon the other 3 from United but they are still being produced, and it takes a keen eye to discern the difference.

Dawn,

First, it was great meeting you this weekend.

Your finds have been amazing! I'll be in Indy next weekend for my Daughter's graduation. and, like Ike, I'd just love to know what liquor store you hit to find that Turkey 12... wink.gif. Do they have any more?

Had a great time, look forward to seeing you again and...thanks for that water... wink.giflol.gif

Bj

Brenda,

I sent you a p.m.....I found the Wild Turkey in Illinois and I cleared the shelf blush.gif Jimmy Russell signed a bottle of it for us at the gazebo. He confirmed for us that it's from the 80's not 90's grin.gif I hope you tasted it at the gazebo! I had to borrow a bottle stopper from Tim because the cork absolutely crumbled when we opened it!

Dawn

I absolutely love WT12yo, thanks again for bringing it! toast.gif

I absolutely love WT12yo, thanks again for bringing it! toast.gif

iagreejeff.gif

I agree with Tim who agrees with Jeff....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.