Bourbon Finds

luv2hunt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I absolutely love WT12yo, thanks again for bringing it! toast.gif

iagreejeff.gif

I agree with Tim who agrees with Jeff....

I agree with Dane, who agrees with Tim, who... ah, screw it:

iagreejeff.gif

• 1 month later...

I have been looking for I. W. Harper for over a year. Is it truly gone?

Found some about a year ago, but now no distributors in my area carry it.

Anyone know?

Thanks

I have been looking for I. W. Harper for over a year. Is it truly gone?..

Yes, and no. I occasionally find an old, stray bottle here and there, even the BHC 15yo. But it's my understanding it's the top seller in Japan, where it brings a better price -- thus, most of it goes to Japan. A few control states -- Washington is one -- still have it. You might check with one of the members from there.

Yep, it is here. In almost every convenience store. I haven't drunk much of it as there were other bourbons that tasted better to me. There is a 12 year old that looks tempting but it is in the over fifty buck range, maybe around $80. I will give the gold medal bottling another try soon. I would try some right now, but Wednesday is my liver's night off.

Ed

The 15yo gold medal bottle is still on a few shelves here in Indiana.

Dawn

I after posting last night I couldn't resist at least a taste. Poured a third of a shot and swirled a few sips around my mouth before spitting it out. It is nice, smooth, maybe a bit young-there is no age statement. I have to say that I like it, thought it is softer than most of my favorites, that might be due to its low, only 80, proof.

Ed

• 5 weeks later...

I was checking out a store I've never been in today and came across a bottle of Classic Cask "Hand Crafted Single Batch Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey" Aged 17 Years, Distilled in 1985 & Bottled in 2002, 90.8 Proof. Is this a rye? All it says is bottled by the Classic Cask Co. Bardstown Kentucky. Does anyone know who distills this. It was $49.00 and came in it's very own wooden box with a sliding plexiglass front panel! Of course I had to buy it!

Tom V.

While there is a Classic Cask rye, there is also a bourbon, which you found. FYI, if it says "straight bourbon whiskey" on the label, that's what it has to be. The rye will say "rye whiskey."

I've noticed some discussion on the rye, which is well regarded, but haven't paid as much attention to threads on the bourbon; I've not seen either bottle. A search may reveal some speculation about the maker.

Let us know how it tastes.

Bob

Kentucky Bourbon Distillers was the bottler, unsure of who distilled this.

Thanks for clearing that up Bob. Yeah, I'll definitely post my impression of it upon tasting. I've decided to bring it along when I go fishing for a week in late August, me and my brother will give it a proper tasting! Tom V drink.gifdrink.gifdrink.gif

Two guys? A week of fishing? One bottle? My experience suggests at least one other bottle, just on quantity, not to mention variety. And that's even with beer in the mix.

Have fun.

Bob

You're absolutely correct Bob! I am bringing along the Classic Cask, but already out at the summer place are Weller 12 year, ORVW 10 yr 107, & Bulliet. It would not do to have to break the mood by having to make a Bourbon run!! I wonder if Bourbon goes well with Barbequed Porgies? Tom V drinking.gif

We've never had much luck with great finds, but I (Dave) ran across these oddities today - a Cabin Still decanter, a Fleischmann's bourbon bicentennial decanter, and a very cloudy - I hope it's cork! - partially evaporated Bourbon USA banjo bottle. Don't know much about any of them, so chime in if you've tasted or know their histories. I would assume they're all 1970's, but I don't know that either. Glenmore products? I remembered from a search that Chuck said Glenmore owned Fleischmann's and Medeley products then?

The cost was:

Cabin Still $25

Fleischmann's $15

Bourbon USA $8

post-553-14489811965541_thumb.jpg

post-553-14489811965541_thumb.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.