Bourbon clubs?

Bourbonluva
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just curious if anyone was aware of any bourbon of the month clubs. I know similar memberships exist for wines, beers, cigars, etc. Any thoughts?

I've never seen one, but it raises a fun idea...

Why couldn't we run one here on the Straight Bourbon site?

Shipping restrictions, taxes, duties, etc. etc. etc.

A great idea if it could be made to work, but even within the US, it's a total and complete nightmare of regulations.

Of course, I'd love someone to prove me wrong, but I can't think of how this one would work in practice...

-monte-

I was thinking more along the lines of someone ie Jeff, Jim (or insert name here) nominating a different bourbon bi-monthly.

Then, if it's available in your area, and you want to participate, grab a bottle, sample, and contribute to the tasting notes / opinions thread.

It's not totally flawless, but it's the only way I could think of that would work.

See? I knew someone could make sense out of this idea (where I could only come up with confusion!!)

That concept will most certainly fly... and it might give us all a chance to swap tasting notes etc.

Anyone want to start this month's thread?? I'd say we should put it in the tasting section of this board.

-monte-

I think it is a good idea, but Cameron is right, it needs someone to run it. If we all just chime in with our recomendations we will be straight back to confusion. Anyone want to do it? Or perhaps we could run a poll and the winner would be the next months 'club' bourbon.

Ed

Great idea fellas toast.gif In fact, we are currently working on such a concept that will tie-in with the main SB.com site. Stay tuned for further details... popcorn.gif

I wonder if there are enough different bourbons to make it interesting and how many we could do before we start repeating or trying the most commmon bourbons. How many different bourbons do you have access to at your local stores?

How many different bourbons do you have access to at your local stores?

I'd say at least 24, so two years worth, some better than others, of course.

This is a great idea. Count me in.

I was thinking more along the lines of someone ie Jeff, Jim (or insert name here) nominating a different bourbon bi-monthly.

Then, if it's available in your area, and you want to participate, grab a bottle, sample, and contribute to the tasting notes / opinions thread.

It's not totally flawless, but it's the only way I could think of that would work.

I LOVE this idea...

How many different bourbons do you have access to at your local stores?

I'd say at least 24, so two years worth, some better than others, of course.

This is a great idea. Count me in.

Any liquor store I have ever been in will order ANY bourbon you want... laugh.gif

Any liquor store I have ever been in will order ANY bourbon you want...

Note to The Boss:

The preceding comment, even if not completely true in all locales, points to the benefit of publishing the line-up several months into the future. That practice would also aid those, such as senior citizens (aka, "old farts") on fixed incomes, who budget their purchases even in the presence of easy availablity.

Yours truly,

Dave "OF" Morefield

I wonder if there are enough different bourbons to make it interesting and how many we could do before we start repeating or trying the most commmon bourbons. How many different bourbons do you have access to at your local stores?

I'm sure there are more than enough bourbons to keep us going for some time confused.gif

It's conceivable that in some months, you won't be able to participate becuase you can't get a particular brand or bottling. (I'll definately be in the same boat - our range of bourbons in Australia isn't that large and the cost of importing on a regular basis is very high frown.gif)

There could even be different tastings if people are interested -

A bourbon of the month which would be something 'most' of us can purchase and is current (eg '95 Evan Williams Single Barrel)

and..

A hard to find or older vintage bourbon of the month (eg '91 Evan Williams Single Barrel)

Ditto...I'm in! toast.gif

Count me in if it's something I can get in my area. Maybe we should pick a widely available bottling for the first month, maybe EWSB or something else in that same $15 - $20 price range?

It wouldn't work at all, for me. I'm in a strict control state with very limited product selection. frown.gif

Tim

Again, in my state, they sometimes won't even order things for you that they have on their official list. But, I have become resigned that even the official listing may not mean that they actually have any.

Tim

It appears that there is plenty of interest. At the risk of being tedious or dogmatic, Clever.gif I have a few ideas about logistics I thought I would throw out there.

Hopefully the SB moderators would be willing to open a new forum, "Bourbon of the Month Club". On the first day of the month, that month's selection would be posted, and for the rest of that month, club participants could post comments about that bourbon. I see no need to limit the conversation to just tasting notes---history, anecdotes, availability information, etc., as long as they are related to that month's selection, would be appropriate. Over time, this could become a useful repository of basic information about various brands and expressions.

So, how to pick the selections? I figure that honor/duty could rotate among active club participants. Hopefully, that could be done by general agreement (volunteering, or acclaimation) without rancor or hurt feelings.

I think it would be gentlemanly to let participants with limited availability pick at least the first few, to ensure wide participation. Given his unfortunate situation, how's about having Tim pick something for June?

These are just ideas, obviously, but I think the club is a neat idea and I just thought I would suggest a framework to help get it off the ground. If anyone has other ideas, please don't hesitate to post them. Feel free to disagree or criticize anything I said.

The Other Chuck

It might work best to start with some that are widely available, to encourage participation.

Craig

Craig,

Right! As I'm sure TOC intended to imply, if Alabama Tim (in contrast to Tennessee Tim) can get it (designated bourbon of the month), anyone can. grin.gif (However, those of us who live out in the sticks and/or cacti may need a little lead time.)

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

OK, as I stated earlier, we are getting ready to implement some new features on the main site that will spill over onto the forum similar to what everyone is suggesting. That said, there is no reason not to start a monthly thread on a particular bourbon, with the understanding that it will change slightly in the future. I am willing to start the thread on June 1st. That should give sufficient time for all interested to procure themselves a bottle. For now we'll pin it to the top of the General forum, but tasting notes are more than welcome there. I'm going to suggest Knob Creek as the 1st BOTM, as it is a premium product readily available throughout the country. Unless someone can make a good argument to the contrary, that's what it will be.

Jeff, you beat me to posting a reminder re your previous post and the upcomming new features smirk.gif

I applaud the choice of Knob Creek - as far as i know it is available in most of the 'other' countries (ie outside US) that participate on the forum as well smile.gif.......plus, I've been looking for an excuse to buy a bottle for months laugh.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.