Coming this fall

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Let me be the first. It's coming this fall and surely will be at the gazebo.

post-5-14489811916781_thumb.jpg

That's surely interesting. Can you divulge (if you know) the grain percentages of the mashbill? Taste profile? Comparisons to other 'wheater' bourbons?

I await the answers too (although one surely is, a straight wheat whiskey must be at least 51% wheat in the mash) but want to say this, this is great for whiskey and its traditions. Wheat whiskey was a constant in the time up to Prohibition, there were "white" (young) versions and older ones. Good to see it back. Kudos to the Schapiras, Beams and all the team at Heaven Hill for trying something different but (at the same time) harking back to tradition.

Gary

Can you divulge (if you know) the grain percentages of the mashbill? Comparisons to other 'wheater' bourbons?

Do note, this is wheat whiskey, not a wheated bourbon, so we know that the mashbill includes at least 51 percent wheat and that there are currently no other wheat whiskies to which it can be compared.

Is it safe to guess that this is coming to us thanks to Heaven Hill (since their distillery in Louisville bears the same name)?

Yes, Mike, this is a Heaven Hill release.

Gary

there are currently no other wheat whiskies to which it can be compared.

True, but this will serve as a nice counterpoint to rye whiskey and heavily ryed bourbons. I can't wait to try it. Any information on price point or availability?

...Do note, this is wheat whiskey, not a wheated bourbon...

I did, indeed, note that -- but as it will be the only one of its type, the only comparison extant seems to me to be wheated bourbons. Not clear was my reference to 'other...', by which I meant 'other wheated', not 'other bourbons'.

It is "barely legal" at 51 percent wheat, 39 percent corn and 10 percent malted barley. It is five summers old and will be bottled at 90 proof. It will start appearing in August/September initially in Kentucky, Texas, Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Pennsylvania, New York and Colorado.

Tasting notes to come.

I'm glad that SC is among them, but how are these states chosen?

Also, while bourbon, by law, has to be at least 51% corn, is the grain proportion of other whiskies specified?

Craig

To be "bourbon", "rye" or "wheat" whiskey, the minimum for the naming grain must be at least 51%, but it can (and often is) more than that. So, no, only the minimum is specified. There are many different mashbills within each variety, but all must only meet the mininum specification for the naming grain.

To be "straight" it also must also be aged in new, charred oak barrels for at least 2 years.

Here's a photo of the actual bottle, sent to me by Larry Kass of Heaven Hill.

post-134-1448981191743_thumb.jpg

So,

The big question is: will civilians be able to purchase this wheatier wheat in mid-September - say the 14th-18? Because I didn't notice California listed as one of the anointed states.

I'd hate to come all that way, virtually to the source, only to find it was for tasting only, and not for sale until a few weeks later.

-Roger

Omar,

From the picture it looks to me to be more similar to the Woodford Reserve bottle. Look out! skep.gif

I've only seen the same pictures you all have seen, but this seems to be a straight-sided flask-type bottle, whereas the Pogue bottle is tapered, if I remember correctly.

I believe Bourbon Festival attendees will be able to buy all they want at Toddy's and other local purveyors. You can even contact Guthrie (at Toddy's) in advance and ask him to hold some for you. It should be available throughout Kentucky by mid-September, wherever you choose to shop.

As for other states, I'm sure it's all about supply and demand. They want to see how it does in the initial states and how well their supply holds up before they start to offer it in other markets. Since this is a relatively young product and since they have been making it steadily since the first batch, unless it goes through the roof in the initial markets they'll probably roll it out further soon enough. As for when, where and how soon, it's not that they aren't saying, it's that they don't know. It all depends on what happens in the initial release states.

I didn't know when it was coming out so I didn't really know when to put

this picture up, and I kind of forgot about it, I interviewed Craig Beam at

Bernheim in 2003.Sep.17th and he showed me this sample bottle.

On the bottle it says 2000.Jan.10, it was very rich in color and taste for a

whiskey that young he told me it was 125 proof 51% wheat, aged all in

Bardstown, and hopefully the product will be 5~6years when it was coming

out as a product.

I know this one is not gonna make it to the Japanese market, this was one

goood whiskey(well at barrel proof it was)Can't wait till September.

Koji

post-74-14489811919666_thumb.jpg

Gary,

I agree with your statement about praises for Heaven Hill. I, for one am anxiously awaiting the release. Since I live in Pennsylvania, I'll let you all know when it hits our shelves.

Joe drink.gif

That's the stuff. The first batch was 129 barrels made in January of 2000.

I have a little more information. The suggested retail price for Bernheim Original Wheat Whiskey will be $39.99.

This sounds intriguing - I can't wait to sample it.

Does anyone know if it will eventually be marketed internationally?

The suggested retail price for Bernheim Original Wheat Whiskey will be $39.99.

Proud of it, aren't they. So far I'm only intrigued enough to want a taste,I'll make up my mind after that.

The suggested retail price for Bernheim Original Wheat Whiskey will be $39.99.

Proud of it, aren't they. So far I'm only intrigued enough to want a taste,I'll make up my mind after that.

The price of novelty is dear, 'cuz the marginally higher cost of the grain sure ain't!

• 2 months later...

It's getting closer grin.gifgrin.gif We just finished making the guides (for the filler) to run the new Bernheim Original grin.gifgrin.gif

They might fill them next week if all goes well grin.gifgrin.gif

Bettye Jo

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.