Top 20 Distilled Spirits Brands in Iowa

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Top 20 Distilled Spirits Brands in Iowa

according to the Iowa Department of Alcoholic Beverages

1. Black Velvet Canadian Whisky

2. Hawkeye Vodka

3. Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum

4. Bacardi Light Dry Rum

5. Five O’Clock Vodka

6. Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Whisky (black label)

7. Barton Vodka

8. McCormick Vodka

9. Jagermeister

10. Seagrams 7 Crown American Blended Whiskey

11. Smirnoff Vodka

12. Paramount White Rum

13. Cuervo Especial Tequila

14. Jim Beam Bourbon

15. Canadian LTD Canadian Whisky

16. Phillips Vodka

17. Popov Vodka

18. Cuervo Lime Margarita

19. Kessler American Blended Whiskey

20. Seagram’s Crown Royal Canadian Whisky

They do like their blends and white spirits, don't they?

In other words, Iowa is BYOB for those of us here?

ohgeez.gif

This is what happens when you have too many other uses for corn!

I didn't realize they were allowed to have alcohol in Iowa!

(me)stickpoke.gif(Iowegian)

Somebody stop the madness before it washes down the Mississippi! I was starting to think Grape Nehi might be on that list! Demonstration.gif

To get their bourbon list, go to: http://www.iowaabd.com

Hit the Alcohol tab on the top, select Product List on the side and then type in bourbon.

Certainly NO FINDS in Iowa! Trust me......I've been there!

Dawn

Wow, tequila is way down on the list...I guess margaritas haven't hit Iowa yet...

What is interesting to me about this is that what sells varies so much from state to state, so that the #2 distilled spirit in Iowa, for example, probably isn't even available anywhere else. How about the only brand that beats Hawkeye Vodka? Where else is Black Velvet the no. 1 distilled spirit?

What is interesting to me about this is that what sells varies so much from state to state,

I don't remember who drew the correlation, but there was one about the areas of the country and what they preferred to drink, corresponding with what was available to them during prohibition, ie Northeast preferring Scotch and Irish, the north, Canandian, and Tequila near Texas and points south. All I can say is Iowa must have caught hell during that time! puke.gif

I wonder to what extent a poll like this in a state like Iowa isn't more about what is hot at the college campuses than anything else?

It was not a poll, which suggests a sampling. Iowa is a control state (the state is the sole wholesaler of liquor) and this is a report of their twenty top-selling labels. It reflects all liquor sales throughout the state.

Are similar data available from other states?

Craig

That was going to be my question. I am interested how other states match up. I tried a few searches on the web and could not find this info for other states.

I know I've seen some industry publications and some pay data services that have this data, but since it has commercial value, it's not free. You can usually find sample summaries for free, but you won't get current data unless you subscribe to their service.

One of the most interesting facts is that there are magazines whose audience is specifically control state liquor commission managers and executives. Talk about a small and specific circulation!!

Regards,

-monte-

I think I have seen it for a few other states, especially other control states. Most state Alcoholic Beverage Control boards have some kind of web site and many do post sales information. In control states, since the state is the sole wholesaler, it probably is considered public information, hence posted on the web. Unfortunately, I think there are only 18 control states. The National Alcoholic Beverage Control Association web site is a good place to start.

Chuck, you have just led me to a wealth of information about the Alabama ABC. For example, here is exactly why our prices are so high:

Cost of product - $10.00

Mark up - 3.00 30%

State Tax - 7.28 56%

Sales tax - 1.22 6%

Retail price - $21.50

Note how every one of those add-ons goes solely to the state of Alabama. They do not even allow the counties and cities to add their own sales taxes (thank goodness for the customer, but it doesn't seem fair). Yet, as high as it is, they keep jacking it up, year after year.

And this is from an October, 2003 report. I think things are even worse, now. Alabama ABC Annual Report

Tim

Here's something else I found on the website. It seems that you can legally "import" alcoholic beverages to AL for personal use. But, the regulations are so strict, I bet they are rarely used: ABC Direct Import Regulations

Tim

More interesting stuff in that report:

US whiskies - 19.25% of liquor volume (wine is totally separate in the stats), of which straight bourbon accounts for 10.56% of liquor volume. Curiously, they break out BIB bourbon as a separate category from straight bourbon. BIB is 0.02% of liquor volume. Blended whiskies were 5.1% and Tennessee whiskies were only 3.17%. I find this last figure hard to believe, as when I see people making whiskey purchases around here, it seems that Black Jack is involved about 80% of the time.

Imported whiskies - 14.64% of liquor volume.

Canadian leads this category with 11.81% of total. Even more than bourbon in this deep, deep south state! blush.gif All scotch was only 2.53%.

Gin - 11.71% of total, of which domestic gins are 10.88% of total. Again, more than bourbon. confused.gif

Vodka - 25.32% of total, 20.57% of total is domestic. Way more than bourbon. banghead.gif Why does anyone drink vodka? It is even worse than "brown vodka".

Rum 6.63%, tequila 3.91%, brandy 8.25% each of total volume. shocked.gif (about the brandy - I don't know anyone besides me that ever touches it).

Tim

Chuck,

Unfortunately, I think there are only 18 control states.

Now there's a statement that is ripe for an out-of-context quote. grin.gif

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Why does anyone drink vodka?

My theory is that Americans are more at home with psychoactive drugs than they care to admit, hence the popularity of alcoholic beverages that have no taste (vodka, most domestic beer) or that taste like soda or fruit juice. Vodka is alcohol-as-drug, consumed exclusively for the alcohol effect. (The extension of this premise is that for the whiskey drinker, the alcohol effect is more like a bonus.)

Chuck,

Unfortunately, I think there are only 18 control states.

Now there's a statement that is ripe for an out-of-context quote. grin.gif

Damn! banghead.gif I was getting all set to take it out of context before I got to this post . . .

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.