Holy Grail bourbons

Vange
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I am very new to the world of bourbon. My only post on this forum so far has been for a search on a 20 year AH Hirsch. So far no luck!!

During my search I realized how difficult it is to find bottles of the 20 year AH Hirsch. I have called more places that I care to mention. It did made me think though. Are there other "Holy Grail" type bourbons out there that are very difficult to find? So far, I am sure of the 20 year and the 19 year AH Hirsch of being in this Holy Grial category. Are there others out there as well?

I saw that on ebay too. He doesn't have it though. I emailed the guy and asked how many he had so he contacted his distributor and came back to me and said none. frown.gif

If you look at the ad, he's got the 16yo advertisement with a listing as a 20yo bottle......dips#@! The 20yr old label doesn't look like that. It has script writing.

Dawn

His auction is very shady. I emailed him about it and told me if I won and he couldn't get the bottle he'd refund me the money. Umm, what the heck si that?

THE HUNT CONTINUES!

Well, I don't know about the Hirsch 20 but the guy sure came through on my Pappy 23 this week. This is actually the second time I've heard this story, from two different people. It's sad when eBay allows people to list products for sale they don't even have.

...It's sad when eBay allows people to list products for sale they don't even have.

I don't think they allow it when they know it, Dane. There's no way they can keep track of tens of thousands of individual sellers unless somebody turns him in.

I may be in the minority here, but I fail to understand the mystic of 20 year AH Hirsch. After reading about it here for many months, I recently had a chance to taste some along with some Hirsch 16. I was extrenmely disappointed... I found the 20 year to be thin and uninteresting; definitely lacking in character. The 16 was much better, in my humble opinion.

FWIW, one man's palette's opinion....

I tend to agree with you John. I prefer the 16yo to the 20, but I'd take a bottle of Buffalo Trace over either yum.gif

When I first began the obsession stage a couple of years ago, Hirsch 20 was still somewhat available here and there and I was lucky enough to find one at the original price. To me the Holy Grails (which can still be found in obscure places I'm told) are UD's Henry Clay and Joseph Finch. I still hope to chance upon one or both some day but the one I would consider to be THE bourbon to add to my collection would be a Very Very Old Fitzgerald from SW. That would be worth slaying a dragon for.

What is a "Holy Grail" to one person isn't always the same to another. From a future collectabilty point of view, yes the Hirsch is one, but to some who wishes to consume, it may not be, or may be, to their particular palate. For example, I know many people who look down upon Very Old Barton, yet there seem to be many people on this board, to whom, a trip to Kentucky wouldn't be right without taking home a bottle, because it isn't available where they live(I, personally, like VOB, it was one of my first bourbons, and I still drink it as often as many other bourbons-Bonded, Please!).

Now to get on my pulpit, for my advice to a newbie, you will learn many times more by reading as much whiskey material as you can, than you will by just drinking what is "supposed" to be good. I have many bottles that I bought and haven't opened, because I don't know enough about them yet(Old Bardstown 10yo 101), or want to put a flight together and I don't have the rest(many of these are just waiting for me to get around to buying some readily available bottles, and I keep passing them over for things with fancy labels-but, does anyone have a 2004 Sazerac they'd be willing to let go).

Ok, done preaching.

As I said each bourbon drinker will have his own "Grail". And we all hope to find more in our whiskey travels. I'm currently hoping the new "younger" Sazerac will be added to my list.

I understand your point about each person having a Holy Grail bourbon. I guess what I was looking for are the bourbons that are at a minimum good (probably closer to VERY good) that are very difficult to find or just not made anymore. The idea would be that if you say one you would damn near soil yourself. A great bourbon that is conusmed often and is readily available is just that, a great bourbon which one drinks often. A holy grail borubon I would think is one that is great AND difficult to track down. I guess there has to be a certain mystique associated with the Holy Grail category otherwise there is no reason to want to attain it. Thanks for everyones comments thus far.

I searched the web, Very Very Old Fitzgerald bourbon by SW DEFINITELY counts as a Holy Grail bouron!

The 20 in my view has a rounder, richer character, well-oaked but in a good way, also was deeper and softer than the 16. But some people see it the other way to be sure.

Gary

Yes, also any Old Fitzgerald (certainly VOF) from the Stitzel-Weller era and some of the other labels of that distillery.

Then, in my view, Hirsch 16 and 20 (1974 Michter's distillate), any Overholt rye from the National Distillers era (before about 1990-1991), any Mount Vernon rye when it was a straight rye whiskey, any Old Grandad when it was made at Frankfort. Probably also any Yellowstone Bourbon when made at original Louisville plant especially Mellow Mash.

But everyone would have their own list which would differ from mine and perhaps not include any of my choices.

Gary

Well...I might lose control of some bodily functions if I saw some George Dickel Special Barrel Reserve sitting on a shelf somewhere...though I still have a couple bottles...I'd hate to be stingy...but...... lol.gif

Lucky me, the WT 12 is Not a Holy Grail bourbon by that definition. Just expensive. ($45 to upper $50s) It is my regular pour when I go to the bar. The bad thing about that is that the other, wonderful, WT bourbons are disappointing after having had the 12.

Ed

Ps. Tim, I don't know if it will make you feel better, but I am sure some of my Holy Grails are easily available to you and probably cheap as well.

Buffalo Trace is worthy of being a Holy Grail Bourbon. IMHO. I sure hope that they get there distribution problems ironed out.

Ed

The bad thing about that is that the other, wonderful, WT bourbons are disappointing after having had the 12.

I haven't drank Tribute, Freedom, or Stampede, given that my findings are the same as yours. toast.gif

To me the Holy Grail is the Van Winkle 23 yr. But isn't a Holy Grail something much desired, but always out of reach? I can find the 23yr, but at $200.00, I'm in no hurry. Now what may be a true (and very inexpensive) Holy Grail,for me, is the Ancient Ancient Age 10yr, simply because it is not available in Colorado. That makes it something I want to try, but can not obtain. I guess we all have our Holy Grails, until we tackle them.

My "Holy Grail" bourbon is Blanton's "Straight from the Barrel." I don't do enough international travel to have access to it, and have never seen it for sale in the States.

Although I've heard it doesn't really shine at barrel-proof, I'd still like to try some.

My "Holy Grail" bourbon is Blanton's "Straight from the Barrel."

In that case, I would have liked to have gotten the remains of the barrel of ET Lee we drank from at Warehouse H in 2003, of course it also needed to bottled at Barrel Proof. toast.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.