Holy Grail bourbons

Vange
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Although I've heard it doesn't really shine at barrel-proof, I'd still like to try some.

I picked one up on a recent trip, but have yet to crack it open. I'll post my findings soon.

I should be able to get Blanton's Straight From the Barrel but I haven't seen it on the shelf and I have checked a lot of shelves! I have seen it on line and with have to order it soon. That site has a lot of things I have only heard about here, never seen.

I haven't drank Tribute, Freedom, or Stampede, given that my findings are the same as yours.

What did you mean by this (just curious)?? That you like the 12 yo and the 8 yo didn't measure up so you don't want to try 15 yo Tribute?? Or you own Tribute but just haven't opened it yet?

I got confused ooo.gif

Ken

It means that I don't own a bottle of Stampede, and I didn't state that. That I do own a bottle of Tribute that remains closed, and a bottle of Freedom, that since a bottle of that went for over 600 recently on ebay, I will not pull the plug on that one either.

I guess I could have written that Tribute,Freedom and Stampede may all be better than the 12 year but since I have not tried them, the 12 is the best so far. I have no problem with the baseline product, Rare Breed or RR in it's old trade dress and proof.

I'm not happy about cutting the proof on Russells Reserve, and the Kentucky Spirit bottlings can vary a lot from barrel to barrel, you don't expect them all to be the same, but they cover a wider spectrum than other single barrels do.

and a bottle of Freedom, that since a bottle of that went for over 600 recently on ebay,

Wow, it's good, but not that good. I guess I'm gonna have a half bottle around for a while.

Are you serious about a bottle of Freedom going for 600?!?!?I have 3 sitting beside me and I think 600 would easily take one off my hands.

Please don't tell me you planned to bring one to the gazebo until you read that banghead.gif

It means that I don't own a bottle of Stampede, and I didn't state that. That I do own a bottle of Tribute that remains closed, and a bottle of Freedom, that since a bottle of that went for over 600 recently on ebay, I will not pull the plug on that one either.

$600??? IMG! Who would ever???? Well, did you get the buyer's name?? Maybe he wants another one!

I guess I could have written that Tribute,Freedom and Stampede may all be better than the 12 year but since I have not tried them, the 12 is the best so far. I have no problem with the baseline product, Rare Breed or RR in it's old trade dress and proof.

Beautiful, thanks Bobby. That all makes perfect sense to me. I like the 101 (base line, is that 8yo??)and Rare Breed very well. I have not tried RR101 or Tribute though I recently found a bottle of each and someday will. I have high expectations for both of them. I have not seen 12 yo nor tried it. Is it no longer available???

I'm not happy about cutting the proof on Russells Reserve, and the Kentucky Spirit bottlings can vary a lot from barrel to barrel, you don't expect them all to be the same, but they cover a wider spectrum than other single barrels do.

I've found that with KS as well. I thought it was just me. Thanks for confirming.....

I did see the new 90 proof RR yesterday ($19). Didn't pick it up though. Probably will at some point.

Thanks for the followup.

Ken

The 12 year was discontinued in the US a few years back with it only going to Japan, now it is discontinued there as well. A bottle collecting dust shows up from time to time, Dawn, Luv2hunt seems to know how to bag these best around here. The 101 Russells Reserve is very good and close to the 12.

If they had offered the 10 year 90 proof as an extension of the Wild Turkey Line, I wouldn't have minded that. They sacrificed a hell of a bourbon to introduce it.

It should have been named Wild Turkey Hatchling, or Wild Turkey Fledgling.

is that 8yo??

The 8 year age statement has been removed from the label for some time now, occasionally those turn up and are desirable to buy.

The 12 year was discontinued in the US a few years back with it only going to Japan, now it is discontinued there as well. A bottle collecting dust shows up from time to time, Dawn, Luv2hunt seems to know how to bag these best around here.

I have had good luck at the duty free shops with 12 yr old.

That I do own a bottle of Tribute that remains closed

Tribute is a nice WT whiskey. I have one open and one in the bunker. I like the 12YO a lot, but Tribute is different, and in some ways better. I can find you a replacement - open it up!!! You need to sip it now. It's not the next coming, but it's a really good whiskey, worth savoring now. Similarly, I can't see saving it for some unknown future, but that's just me.

I have no problem with the baseline product, Rare Breed or RR in it's old trade dress and proof.

I'm not happy about cutting the proof on Russells Reserve

(snip)

I'll agree. I went on a WTRR hunt today and, amidst my WTRR101 hoarding, I also bought a bottle of the 90 proof version, just to see whether I'm making too much of the proof change. After all, they might select different barrels to compensate for the change, like Jack Daniels apparently did when they went to 80 from 86.

I don't think so; WTRR at 101 proof is a good thing, and at 90 proof, it's the same thing watered down. Less spicy, less huge and just smaller. Not as good.

The package sure is pretty, and for the average Joe, I think that's a step forward. Oddly enough, the WT name seems to scare folks away. (My simple "bring it to a barbecue and see what folks do with it" test seems to point to this, at least with New Englanders). The new package almost completely omits any mention of WT, perhaps making it more salable. But, for those who care about Bourbon, the whiskey inside of the bottle is really a step back.

A lot of what I like about WTRR is the boldness, and that also has to do with the relative lack of dilution and the high final proof, both of which disappear in the 90 proof version. Too bad...

Cheers,

-monte-

I did see the new 90 proof RR yesterday ($19). Didn't pick it up though. Probably will at some point.

Interesting. I have never seen the 101 proof version for less than $24 anywhere (the low price was in KY), so seeing the 90 proof version for $19 is an interesting thing. New Hampshire sells the 90 proof for the same as the 101 proof, $24.99. This Saturday was the first time I've seen the 90 proof in NH, so we'll have to see what they do down here in MA, but I figure that it'll be the same price as the old 101 version.

Cheers,

-monte-

Here in Chicagoland, with Binny's and Sam's (and other stores as well) being able to get all sorts of unusual bottlings, it's kind of hard to pick a Holy Grail bourbon (or Scotch, for that matter). Yeah, I'm spoiled. tongue.gif

That being said, I would say that a bottle of Hazmat would be my grail. I already have one Spring '05 Stagg open, three more in the bunker, and an '04 Stagg in the bunker. Then again, any S-W bourbon would be a candidate as well - I have yet to find one up here.

The 12 year was discontinued in the US a few years back with it only going to Japan, now it is discontinued there as well.

Oh No! Am I going to have to stock up on that too? I see a lot of it on the shelves and my favorite bar stocks it. (They like me there and I always get a nice pour.) I have one bottle at home, 2/3 full now. I rarely drink it at home, hoarding it I suppose. I paid $35 in the duty free in America a few months ago. Here it is usually over $50.

I would like to try the Tribute but it is in the over $80 range. I have had one bottle of the RR 101. It is still on the shelves here. Upper thirties. I remember really liking it but haven't replaced it. For one thing I am stocking up on Eagle Rare 101 and AAA 10 year old while they are still available here. That and last night I just opened a bottle of Elmer T Lee after finishing off the last bottle. I had bought three of them, the first one I tried I loved, so I went back and bought the rest. I figured that Single Barrels vary and I knew I liked that barrel. But the new bottle blew the doors off the earlier bottles. Wow! I hope there are still some on the shelf today when I go back!

Ed

and the Kentucky Spirit bottlings can vary a lot from barrel to barrel, you don't expect them all to be the same, but they cover a wider spectrum than other single barrels do.

Timing is great, I just found a bottle of Kentucky Spirit in the back of my bar. Apparently I'd tucked it away there several years ago (bottled May '01 barrel 2 rack 9) so I had a pour last night. Wow! I didn't remember it being this good. It was rich and smooth and very full flavored. Wonder why it got pushed to the back?? Oh well, it's baa-ack..... drink.gif

I hadn't even watched for KS locally but I'm pretty sure no one around here carries it anymore. May have to reload in Sept.

Cheers,

Ken

We produced a barrelproof Blanton's for La Masion du Whisky in France; it was quite nice.

Ken

We produced a barrelproof Blanton's for La Masion du Whisky in France; it was quite nice.

Ken

That´s something of an understatement, I believe. I think it´s fabulous!

Gary´s tastebuds can´t be in shape. Canadians, go home! wink.gif

Well, can't let that one sit for too long. smile.gif First, Ken said produced for La Maison, so a special one presumably. Plus, each one is different anyway, right, being from a single barrel. The ones I bought (I must have bought 4 or 5 so I'm not a bad customer of the brand smile.gif) were all bottled from the same barrel or one just over from it on the same day. They were in other words all from the very small lot made available here. And yes I found those alright but not great. They were dry, some astringent, without a "luscious" quality I like. Water improved them but as I said before that just (IMHO) brings them to to the flavour of the other Blantons. I've tried all of them except the Silver Barrel. I am a huge fan of Buffalo Trace's products but for some reason Blanton itself has never greatly appealed. My key bourbon from them is Elmer T. Lee, after that Buffalo Trace, and then many others (Ancient Age, Rock Hill Farms, etc.). They play an honoured role in my personal blends, averaging about 50% thereof. This partly because more bourbons are available here from Trace than from other companies but also I like the (generally) rich, nutmeg-like character offered by the Trace bourbons and especially Lee and Trace itself.

Gary

Gary,

You make a very interesting point; I too prefer a number of our other bourbons over Blanton's. When I attend a whiskey tasting event, people swear by the taste of Blanton's. I honestly believe that if I poured AA 4 year old into the Blanton's bottle, half of the people would comment on how it is the finest bourbon in the world. Of course, the other half would wonder what went wrong! When someone asks my opinion regarding our finest single barrel, I must admit that it is a toss-up between Eagle Rare SB and Elmer T. Lee. Both cost about half of Blanton's, both are 3 - 6 years older than Blanton's, and both are just superior bourbons in my opinion. Still, true Blanton's fans stand by their choice!

Ken

Thanks Ken for seeing in part anyway my viewpoint. I think Blanton appeals to many who like a dry scotch palate. I don't know if that is intentional (on the part of those who formulate the Blanton profile) but it always reminds of a good blended (Scotch) whisky palate when I drink it! Certainly Buffalo Trace offers a great selection for different tastes - and by the way I like ER Single Barrel too but also ER 17 year old. Just superb.

Gary

My (BT) favorites are Rock Hill Farms, Elmer T. Lee, and Blanton's, in that order. That said, I honestly think Blanton's is superb. Sure, I wish it didn't cost so much, but it is what it is.

Tim

I think Blanton appeals to many who like a dry scotch palate.

Touché! After all these years I´m still nothing more than simple Scotch slurper. grin.gif Oh, well, maybe one day I will be worthy. grin.gif

Honestly, I´ve only had one bottle of SFTB so my opinions could hardly be deemed as all-encompassing. Anyways, I had another go at it last night, inspired by this thread, and this time, with cousin Stagg absent, the fruitiness was even more pronounced, very concentrated.

The dryness is there for sure but more like an undercurrent as opposed to the ultra-dryness of AAA 10yo. After about 30 seconds everything surrenders to the corn.

Apart from that I also agree with Tim. Rock Hill Farms definitely deserves to be mentioned.

• 4 months later...

Over time I compiled a list of bourbons that are difficult to find and probably pretty valuable if sold on ebay. I guess over time I am answering my own question by compliling this list, but here it is below:

Blanton’s Gold

AH Hirsch Reserve 20 yo

AH Hirsch Reserve 16 yo (blue wax top and gold wax top)

AH Hirsch Reserve 15 yo

AH Hirsch Reserve 19 yo

WT Tribute

WT 17 yo

WT 12 yo

Evan Williams 23 (maybe, since its only sold in japan)

Henry Clay

Joseph Finch

Geoorge T Stagg 2003 (hazmat version)

Very very old Fitzgerald 12 yo or 15 yo

Very old Fitzgerald 8 yo

Distiller’s Masterpiece 18 year old cognac finished

Distiller’s Masterpiece 20 year old port finished

Evan Williams Single Barrel 1986-1988

Pappy 23 (probably)

I am not sure if this list will get me anywhere, but I do keep a lookout for these wherever I go, JUST IN CASE. You never do know sometimes.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.