Best Bourbon Is?

Gillman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

If I had to go out on a limb I'd say the best straight whiskey on the market today is Four Roses Single Barrel. This bourbon consistently reaches the heights. It has a fine texture, soft mouth feel (despite the proof), fine wintergreen-like taste and aftertaste and balanced overall character with the wood char echoing in the aftertaste (but not dominating). Also, it has a fine natural sweetness. There are whiskeys from other concerns I would rate as high but they are not available (as yet anyway) in general circulation. I'd include the 20 year old rye we tasted recently at HH and the barrel strength 1792 we tasted at Barton's.

In any case, these are the three best whiskeys I've tasted this year and perhaps ever.

Gary

It's funny, Gary, but because KY is so accessible to me, so far I've had an "I'll get it next time" attitude about the FRSB. Thus, I've only tasted it at the several Bardstown events I've attended. It has wowed me then, but I've not had it regularly enough to call it a 'best' -- though it may well be a contender. Agreed, too, about the HH 20yo rye and that Warehouse Z Barton sample. Great stuff.

I poured a bit of the remainder of my Lawrenceburg Pappy 23 bottling last night -- which is a rye recipe, one I believe Julian said might be Old Boone whiskey -- and it's been fabulous each time I've had it, as has the 'cheesy' gold-label Wild Turkey 12yo from the '80s and early-'90s. All of these -- and George T. Stagg when I'm in the mood and I find the perfect dilution -- are on a plateau by themselves for me. I've never found a fault in a single sip of any of them.

Good notes, thanks. That Pappy 23 has eluded me, I'd love to try it. I have had very limited experience with Geo. T. Stagg but I'll keep an open mind (and I know what you mean by getting the dilution right). I had one WT 12 year old a few years ago that was outstanding but after tried two others that weren't as good.

Gary

Hi Gary,

Since I did not have the good fortune to accompany you to taste the 20 y/o Rye at HH or the Barrel Strength Barton and I've not had the pleasure of tasting a Pappy 23 in any form, I'd have to say that almost any of the Van Winkles qualify for top honors IMHO. I've had the 20, 15-107 (both), 12-90, 10-107. I don't think I've had anything better to date. I guess you can tell I like Wheaters.

Joe usflag.gif

Thanks for these thoughts, Joe, the Van Winkle products rate high in my book, too. Still, I'd have to give the laurels to a rye-recipe or rye whiskey since (with exception of the ORVW 12 and 13 year old ryes and the 23 year old bourbon Tim mentioned) Van Winkle is a wheat-recipe specialty house. While I enjoy wheaters, especially older ones, rye-recipe bourbons, to quote bourbon writer and taster extraordinaire Chuck Cowdery, are always more interesting. Of course, not everyone will agree.

Gary

Ive seen a few Four Roses Single Barrels on the shelves here in japan and i didnt think very much of them simply because their 'well' brand is everywhere and its pretty crappy.

Well, because of your recommendation, i have to say the Single Barrel is next on my to buy list.

So far, my favorite bourbon has been Wild Turkey Rare Breed. Its multidimensional flavor does the trick for me.

The KY only FRSB is on my top 5 list. Just means I need to make another trip back to KY. When is the sampler scheduled for 2006?

When is the sampler scheduled for 2006?

The next Bardstown Sampler is April 29, 2006. toast.gif

I have had very limited experience with Geo. T. Stagg but I'll keep an open mind

I have beat the Stagg drum a bit and now I am faced with having to rethink it. I'm tasting it at the Bourbon tasting and thinking it's WTRR 101. The hell of that is the WTRR 101 is history, too bad really, almost half the cost. lol.gif

Haven't had FRSB. Don't see any here in Florida. I could entertain the idea of PVW 23YO were it not so expensive (I've only had it once, and it was delish). I would say WT Rare Breed, Evan Williams SB 1993, PVW 12YO, or WT Russell's Reserve. In fact, I'll say WT Russell's RSV 10 YO 101 . That's my final answer. I'll have to pick up some of Four Roses SB next time I'm in Ky (or Japan). How much should I plan to spend?

Don't feel too bad, Bobby. I thought the Stagg was Maker's. Yikes.

Gary

Oh my God, Gary, after just extolling the virtues of Ryed Bourbons to me.

Joe lol.giflol.gifusflag.gif

I'll have to pick up some of Four Roses SB next time I'm in Ky (or Japan). How much should I plan to spend?

It was in the high $20s at Liquor Barn on March '05 in KY. Definitely worth it, and definitely an unusual set of flavors. Very much worth seeking out, especially if you like rye oriented bourbon.

Cheers,

-monte-

I know. The test was challenging and odd in its results. I found the Stagg very well integrated, the rye did not show through seemingly and I thought it was a wheat-recipe whiskey. I think the high alcohol fooled me, it covered the rye component (or complemented it) and I thought it had to be Maker's although I should have known by the age. When you dilute rye-recipe whiskey it has the tendency I find to accenuate the rye and the reverse seemed true that night. I did get the first one, Rock Hill Farm and after (and there were a couple in between) the factor of palate anaesthesia occurred. In my defence, no one got more than two right. I think one can zero in on familiar attributes when in "familiar territory" but once "disoriented" odd results can occur. I once read that tasted blind, many people can't tell an onion from an apple because the "markers" they use are off. Odd as this may sound, this does not mean people don't know what they are tasting when, say, they order a hamburger with onion (and not apple) on it! On another point, Joe in Florida asked about FRSB pricing. It goes for about $30 in Kentucky and is well worth it.

Gary

If I had to go out on a limb I'd say the best straight whiskey on the market today is Four Roses Single Barrel. This bourbon consistently reaches the heights. It has a fine texture, soft mouth feel (despite the proof), fine wintergreen-like taste and aftertaste and balanced overall character with the wood char echoing in the aftertaste (but not dominating). Also, it has a fine natural sweetness. There are whiskeys from other concerns I would rate as high but they are not available (as yet anyway) in general circulation. I'd include the 20 year old rye we tasted recently at HH and the barrel strength 1792 we tasted at Barton's.

In any case, these are the three best whiskeys I've tasted this year and perhaps ever.

Gary

Best 3 I have had is the van Winkle 12 Y old time rye and an real old bottling (auction stuff) of WT 101 with was bright red in the collar and had an very, very concentrated taste and an enormously long and intense aftertaste, at least as long as Stagg. Than it is a new discovery. The van Winkle 10 Y 107 proof Bernheim version. How said weathers were light, mild whiskey. This is a huge whiskey. With probably the biggest body I ever had in a whiskey/whisky I am very fond of eating chocolate to my whiskey and did try 3 different high quality bars with this whiskey but the whiskey killed them all. I think it is at its best being snippet neat at its on after a good meal and some drinking just like Stagg or older ryes. I actually think it is better than the SW I have tried (12, 15, 20). By the way is there anybody else that likes Bernheim weathers and perhaps have tried the new 12 years old?

When we visited Four Roses in 04, we had the good fortune to taste the Four Roses SB straight from the barrel. Given your comments, Gary, we're bummed you weren't in attendance. frown.gif

However, as far as the best bourbon currently available - Tina sticks with her longtime favorite ORVW 10 year, 107. She has favored this even over the 15 year.

I am starting to change my mind and give the title to ER 17 Year, although that may not count since that's a limited annual release. If that's disqualified, I'll go back to my previous pick of Kentucky Spirit.

Haven't tried the new 12 as far as I know!

I agree fully regarding ORVW 12 year old rye and in my view Van Winkle enters the magic circle via his rye whiskeys. My hope is he can select barrels of others' rye in the future and offer it as part of his line-up. The profile to go for is of a fruity 12-13 year old rye whiskey. The current G bottling is about 19 years old and I have had an excellent report of it from my friend Gary Hodder. Still, it is a finite stock and I see room to launch a younger whiskey in that style.

Gary

Sorry I missed that barrel strength version, it must have been really good.

I fully agree regarding ER 17 year old bourbon. I only had it once (the one before the last release) and enjoyed its elegant, autumnal flavour.

I like the others mentioned, that I've tried, but they stand out less in memory.

Gary

Gary, I'm a big fan of the Wild Turkey line and recently tasting Tribute I've come to think of it as the best Bourbon ever bottled. I keep an open mind but right now, that's my take. It's full and complex with that sweet, earthy taste all the WT products seem to carry. My very first taste seemd too spicey but not since then. It terrific.

I have not had the opportunity to try any of the three you cite. Hopefully one day I will, as my Tribute won't last forever.

Cheers,

Ken

And I look forward to the chance to try Tribute, the one Wild Tukey product I haven't tried. I do like RR a lot. The earthiness is quite pronounced in the line, clearly a house characteristic.

It is interesting that with as few as 9 or 10 plants the industry still puts out a large range of flavors (within certain bounds to be sure, hence - in part - the trouble we had at the recent semi-blind tasting!). E.g., Four Roses could not be more different than the feisty Wild Turkey products.

Gary

Well, if you find yourself on this side of Lake Erie, let me know.... I'd be more than happy to share a pour.

Ken

I can really understand not noticing the rye in Stagg, especially if trying other bourbons, even cleansing the palate. When I first tasted it, I thought "Old Charter 12," and Ken confirmed they are the same mashbill. Of ocurse, OC is usually referred to as a (the?) low rye bourbon. I realize that their barrel selections for OC are probably very specific (and they do a good job of hitting that profile) and they are probably focusing on something else for Stagg, but if it starts out low rye, it'll probably taste that way sometimes.

Bob

Very good, Bob, thanks! It wasn't just the alcohol dominating, but evidence of the low-rye mashbill, or both. I wasn't totally off-base anyway. It happens that Charter 12 year old is available in Ontario now, I'll pick some up later and taste test it against Maker's.

Gary

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.