Best Bourbon Is?

Gillman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Tim,

I agree with you regarding Rock Hill Farms, and yet I disagree regarding wheaters. Strange, isn't it?

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Tim,

I agree with you regarding Rock Hill Farms, and yet I disagree regarding wheaters.

You can add me to this list. Love RHF and love wheaters.

Joe usflag.gif

I thought it was Four Roses Platinum. (The data base lists it as Four Roses Super Premium Platinum) I haven't had it as it is expensive and the standard bottling doesn't impress me. It is on my to do list, but not very near the top. I have had the SB a couple of times in bars and it is good stuff. Not my top shelf, though. As a result I haven't bought a bottle yet. To pricy for second shelf. My humble opinion.

Ed

If I had to go out on a limb I'd say the best straight whiskey on the market today is Four Roses Single Barrel. This bourbon consistently reaches the heights. It has a fine texture, soft mouth feel (despite the proof), fine wintergreen-like taste and aftertaste and balanced overall character with the wood char echoing in the aftertaste (but not dominating). Also, it has a fine natural sweetness.

That was exactly my thought when I first tasted FRSB this June, and I haven't changed my mind since.

Every year, a group of us at the National Homebrew Conference (in Baltimore this year) have a whisk(e)y tasting in my room one of the evenings. When I inherited it (as host) a few years ago, it was a single malt tasting, but I've been an iconoclast and have brought other whiskies every year, starting with Redbreast pure pot still Irish. Three years ago it was a 13 year old (1919-->1933) Old Overhold BiB (with Michael Jackson sitting next to me taking notes).

So on one of my regular trips to Cincinnati (my home town) to visit my mother, I made my usual trip to the Kentucky Welcome Center (aka Cork 'n' Bottle, at the first exit across the bridge) and picked up a bottle of FRSB.

It was the first whiskey I had at the tasting, so I had a fresh palate. It was fantastic - everything Gary has written, but with one other prominant note - lavender, ethereally floating above the hubbub. I decided then and there that I was in love.

I think that it appeals so much to me in part from the high rye content (reportedly 38%). I just find that I prefer the backbone that rye gives to bourbon. I just can't seem to get into wheaters - not for lack of trying. The yeast (one of the five in the FR stable) surely plays a part as well.

This first bottle was from warehouse ES, barrel 19-1N. On a subsequent trip, I picked up another, LW/11-5N. It is also very fine, but not quite as mind-blowing. Unfortunately, I have only 3/4" (2cm for you Aussies) left in the first bottle.

At $32, this will never be a regular pour for me. I had hoped that the Bulleit, with, I believe, the same mash bill, would be similar, but it seemed to me to fall well short. I'll be trying it more.

Jeff

I think that the whiskey that would have been Eagle Rare 101 is going to Eagle Rare single barrel expressions. (I had a 14 year old ERSB the other day. Wonderful bourbon. I had never heard of it prior to seeing it at the bar.) Good as the 14 year old was it was overshadowed by the ER 17 I had the same night. I hope the 101 is being sacrificed to increase stocks destined to become ER 17!

Ed

Wow, where were you when you had this ERSB 14yr? I'm wondering if it is a Japan-only thing or maybe a special bottling for a bar. Not that I have a chance to travel there, just interested as this is a bottling that I've not heard of. Though it seems that there used to be a 15yr expression that was Japan only.

Oh, yes I had listed Stagg as being from this mashbill (in the list-GTS)

And not only that, I love the aesthetics of the packaging of Rock Hill Farms, even the way the bourbon runs into the stopper when I do the occasional cork-wetting.

The flip-side is that the thin layer of cork formed around the stopper is not always formed properly to ensure the quality of seal that is normal for a solid piece of cork.

Furthermore, I think this design is less able to cushion the neck from an impact upon the stopper. My belief is based on a single case in which I removed the clear plastic retainer, whereupon a sizeable section of the rim of the bottle fell away in many pieces. I can only guess how and when the breakage had occurred, but I know it was not by my hand.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I thought it was Four Roses Platinum. (The data base lists it as Four Roses Super Premium Platinum)

Thanks Ed, I forgot about the Platinum reference. I pulled this off the FR site:

FOUR ROSES SUPER PREMIUM - 86°

This small batch Bourbon is often referred to as "Platinum" for the elegance of its rich and complex taste. 86 proof. Introduced in 1992. Sold only in Japan.

That is cool, Dave. One of the best pours I ever had (and I only ever had one) was a very generous straight shot of Pappy 20-year old in a bar. But, 99 times out of 100 I prefer the rye spice kick of a great rye-bourbon to most all wheat-bourbons.

Tim

• 3 weeks later...

Well it took me almost a month and cost $40 but I got my hands on a bottle or the FRSB yesterday. It is good stuff but perhaps not the best, certainly top 5 though. Any way it was worth the effort and I'll be getting more when this bottle is gone. Thanks for pointing it out.

I think too each bottle (or barrel) is different, some really shine, others are no less than very good. Try again, you may find a real winner.

Gary

Probably true but then the drinkers are differnt too. Being in the top 5 of anything is pretty good.

I think too each bottle (or barrel) is different, some really shine, others are no less than very good. Try again, you may find a real winner.

Gary

• 3 weeks later...

After sampling about 30 bourbon's to this date and still a beginner, I would have to say the following are the best five bourbon's I've tried so far:

-- Evan Williams Single Barrel 1995 - Mellow, smooth /w a long vanilla finish drink.gif

-- Blanton's Single Barrel - Full flavor, sweet and vanilla finish yum.gif

-- Knob Creek - Full flavor with spices woohoo.gif

-- Baker's - Spicey and sweet smirk.gif

-- Maker's Mark - Sweet and light cool.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Believe it or not, my current favorite is Wild Turkey Rare Breed. Barrel strength. Finish hints surprisingly of dark rum.

Hi Tallmarc,

Welcome to the list.

Nothing surprising about picking WT RB. Wonderful bourbon.

Ed

Rock Hill Farms bourbon has been my favorite for a while, now. It has such a pleasant aroma, sweet taste and FINE finish. yum.gif

It displaced my second choice of WT Rare Breed and always close Old Rip Van Winkle bourbons, which I believe are wheaters. They are different (and better, IMHO) from the other popular wheat bourbon, Makers.

By the way, the only objection to Rock Hills Farm is the price. But, then, again, you CAN get what you pay for. grin.gif

Don't get me wrong... I love the complete line of Wild Turkey bourbons.

However, I was given a bottle of Tribute, and with great expectations (considering the price; about $88) that this would be one of the finest bourbons available. I was disappointed. It wasn't bad. It just wasn't up to my expectations. I would rather have two bottles of Kentucky Spirit the next time around.

Hands down... George T. Stagg

I have a bottle on prder, either a spring 05 or Fall 05.

My next favorate is Pappy's Family Reserve 15 yr, followed closely by Old Rip Van Winkles 10yr 107.

Don't get me wrong... I love the complete line of Wild Turkey bourbons.

However, I was given a bottle of Tribute, and with great expectations (considering the price; about $88) that this would be one of the finest bourbons available. I was disappointed. It wasn't bad. It just wasn't up to my expectations. I would rather have two bottles of Kentucky Spirit the next time around.

That's a tough call. I've never been good at bang for the buck stuff. I like similar qualities in JTS Brown at $11, Kentucky Spirit for $37 an Tribute at $88. How do I rate these as values...?? I have no idea.

Like I said elsewhere, my very first pour of Tribute was kind of overwhelming. I wasn't sure what to expect (and I'd never had anything that expensive before). As I worked through the bottle I really came to appreciate the complexity and sheer volumn of characture Tribute presents. Part of me is glad you can't find it anymore. Making a $90 Bourbon my daily pour is NOT in my budget. But I'm very sorry it will soon be totally gone.

Ken

After getting a taste of a number of bourbons (but definately not all of them on my list), I really like the initial bite and smooth vision of Stagg.

I just added Hirsch 16-year and Black Maple 14-year, so I may change my vote soon.

Does anyone have any strong opinions on the BM14 versus the BM16?

Thanks.

I'm glad you like Tribute.

By the way, I have seen a few bottles of Tribute around the Cincinnati area. So, it is still available in some places. wink.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.