High end Bourbon that's not worth the price

purpleace
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm new to the board and am building my collection of premium bourbons. However, I need some advice on what to avoid.

So far, my only disappointment was McKenna Single Barrel. I'm also not yet convinced that the Jefferson's Reserve was worth the extra money.

Thanks for your help.

Scott

Try Elijah Craig 12 yr. I think of it as the entry way to high end bourbons, but it is really one of the best.

Jimmy

I can recommend Eagle Rare Single Barrel 10 Year and Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 Year with confidence. I think the ER10 is an extremely good buy at around $20.

As far as bourbons to avoid - I really haven't bought any I don't think were worth the money. I tried Gentleman Jack at a friend's and would never buy it with my own money. I don't know that it is considered a "high end" bourbon though. Another I would never buy is Basil Hayden since most comments I've read about it have been negative.

musher, this is off topic but I gotta say I love the picture of the Husky in your avatar. My sister has a female husky - I've never seen another dog with such personality.

That is a Husky and not a Malamute correct?

Welcome to SB.com. I'm sure you'll find it a great source of info, no matter what your particular interests in the wonderful world of bourbon may be.

I'm not sure where you're located but surely there's a good bourbon bar not too far away, even if it would require a weekend trip, it's a good way to try several different whiskies without commiting to the whole bottle.

I'm not too sure many on this board are going to say that any one whiskey is crap, as just because one doesn't like it doesn't mean another won't. There does seem to be a concensus that the new Woodford Reserve Four Grain might not be quite worth the money being asked for it, but as I haven't had the (dis?)pleasure yet I will withhold my judgement until I have.

As you come to find your particular tastes in bourbon, you can use these boards to research makers/bottlings to find more that fall into similar flavor profiles. Many of the whiskies you like will likely have a lower priced counterpart with a similar structure, allowing you to avoid the disappointment of overspending.

Best of luck in your whiskey travels

Twenty Bucks for Eagle Rare SB 10 yo? That would be a good deal. It is more like 35 bucks here in Sapporo. My loss.

Ed

Twenty Bucks for Eagle Rare SB 10 yo? That would be a good deal. It is more like 35 bucks here in Sapporo. My loss.

Ed

Wow that's unfortunate. After having it, I would be willing to pay $35 for it b/c I like it so much, but I'm glad I can find it cheaper.

When it's on sale in Montgomery County Maryland liquor stores it's $16.99 - an unbelievable price. Otherwise it ranges around $20-22 where I buy it, but that is still a steal.

Hey Scott, I'd recommend you try the Weller Antique 107 proof. It's a fine bourbon and sells, at least in my area, for under $20.00. Tom V drink.gif

Avoid the new Woodford Reserve Four Grain.... IMHO, it's not ready for consumption at this stage ---- certainly not worth the $79 / bottle

High end Bourbon that's not worth the price

Almost any Bourbon where they buy bulk whiskey from HH, then pour it into a posh bottle, add wordings like small batch and sell it for twice the price (buy HH:s own products, instead).

Also, there was a con job called McKendrick´s which may or may not still be around. Steer clear!

I'm not a terribly huge fan of Booker's, to tell the honest truth. At over $50 / bottle, it's not one that I can see myself purchasing regularly. As others have said, Old Whiskey River costs far more than it's worth.

In general, most bourbons are a good value, especially compared with other types of spirits; Elijah Craig 12 yr and Jim Beam black label are two that I think are especially good values (of course, distribution is limited up here in my little corner of the frozen Northeast, so I'm sure there are many others).

This is really a subjective, well subject. But Jeff's Reserve is a great $15.00 bourbon. Unfortunately, it's $40.

As Chaz7 says this is all terribly subjective, so here are my two subjective cents on Booker's. Well worth the price. Since I have tried it I always have a bottle around the place and it is usually open. The Jim Beam Black that I first bought nearly a year ago is still half full. Nothing wrong with it but it doesn't do much for me, bland. Nor it is a particularly good value here in Sapporo at around 20 bucks.

BTW, Scott, but what premium bourbons have you tried that you feel are worth the money?

Ed

I really enjoy Stagg, Pappy 15 yr., 1792 (a great value), Elijah Craig 18, Bookers, Four Roses, and just recently tried (and liked) the Evan Williams single barrel 1995.

So I am finding no shortage of quality.

I just added Michter's Straight Rye, Weller Centennial, and Hirsch 16yr. (which I'll try tonight).

I am mixed on Baker's and Blanton's.

I travel a bit and come across a nice variety, but before I sink $50+ in a bottle of Michter's 10-year Rye, Hancock, etc. or less in a few others I see around like Bulleit, I.W. Harper, etc. I'd like to hear the opinions of truly afficianados.

Thanks for your advice.

Thanks. As for the ones you are considering, I like Bulleit. I have only had one bottle of it. I bought it on vacation in the States and brought it back with me. I have another bottle still unopened. I have never seen it here in Sapporo. The I.W. Harper Gold Medal I see all the time. It is very well priced at around 16 bucks. I believe it is more expensive in other markets. I find it a bit bland. Others on the list really like it. I would like to try the 12 yo but it is fairly pricey so I haven't gotten around to it.

One favorite of mine that I don't see on your list is the Elmer T Lee Single Barrel. It is quite a sweet bourbon and I don't know if you like that. Hmm. From your list of likes, maybe you do. The bottle I have open now is one of the spiciest (cinnamon) bourbons I have ever had.

I agree completely that price is no determinant in how good of a bourbon you end up with. The best examples of quality bourbons that don't pinch the wallet too hard (in my opinion) are Elijah Craig 12yr, Corner Creek, Bulleit and all the real low cost end Old Grandad. On the other hand, the high end Jim Beam stuff like Baker's, Bookers, Basil Haydens never impressed me at least not for the price. (By the way, they sell minis of those so you can try them without making a big investment.) I haven't tried the new Woodford 4 grain, but judging from the related posts, it's a prime example of not worth the price.

Jimmy

Value is a major consideration in my bourbon buying and drinking. The following are those that I consider well worth the asking price.

Evan Williams Single Barrel

Elmer T Lee

Buffalo Trace

W L Weller 12 Yr

Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve

G T Stagg

Eagle Rare 17

Eagle Rare Single Barrel

Four Roses Single Barrel

Van Winkle Family Reserve Lot B

Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 15 yr

Rock Hill Farms Single Barrel

Old Grand Dad 114

Maker's Mark

Old Forester 100 proof

Old Ezra (7) Rare Old

Their not all "cheap" , but I don't mind paying for these.

Not a fan of Ridgemont reserve 1792 myself and I don't think Basil Hayden's is worth the asking price either. YMMV.

I'll agree with others that Basil Hayden is not worth the price, although I do like it, certainly far more than any other 80 proof bourbon I can think of. Although I don't usually spend the money for Booker's or Blanton's or Elijah Craig, that's just my decision about allocating my bourbon dollar; I can understand how others think it is worth the price.

I would encourage you to sample the Bulleit you mentioned; a very distinctive taste. There are lots of others in the same price range that could give you a nice experience of something different; Old Charter 12, Old Grandad 114, etc. Casting that sort of wide net can introduce you to lots of favorites.

Bob

I'm new to the board and am building my collection of premium bourbons. However, I need some advice on what to avoid.

So far, my only disappointment was McKenna Single Barrel. I'm also not yet convinced that the Jefferson's Reserve was worth the extra money.

With the strong caveat once again that this is all subjective - eg, we like Henry McKenna SB! -

1) We agree w/ avoiding Old Whiskey River;

2) The price of Jefferson's Reserve just dropped in VA - we like it better at $32 than $50, but not sure if you will;

3) Hancock's is good whiskey at a rotten price - easily worth $25-30, but not $50+. See if you can find a deal.

4) At the risk of heresy, after OneCubeOnly gave us our first sample of Pappy 20, can't see dropping $75+ on it. Don't get us wrong, it's GOOD, but the only whiskies we have found that we have been willing to pay super-super premium prices for (say $60+) are WT 12 year and Tribute.

Basil Hayden's, JD Single Barrel - not worth $40, Baker's - good but not @ $40, Ridgemont Reserve 1792 - good but too spendy, and IMHO, anything by Maker's Mark.

I think Booker's is worth the $53 because other than Stagg, where else can you get a bourbon over 125 Proof?

toast.gif

1) We agree w/ avoiding Old Whiskey River

Not so fast. There is the little matter of a free Willie Nelson CD! Right! Hello? Yeah, I guess we should avoid it.

I honestly haven't found Blanton's to be quite worth the $50 price. I do enjoy a glass of Blanton's, but find its less famous sibling Rock Hill Farms to be more enjoyable.

I'm not all that enamored with Booker's, although again - it's good, but I'd rather spend my $50 on something else.

Stagg, Sazerac, VW Rye, and Pappy 20 are bottles I will happily spend $50+ to bring home. I reserve judgment on the new Antique WL Weller and Eagle Rare 17bottlings, although I wouldn't be at all surprised if those joined my top-shelf ranks, too.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.