High end Bourbon that's not worth the price

purpleace
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm new to the board too, but with soo many EXCELLENT bourbons for under $25, I have a long way to go before I have to go over that price to sample something new. I might be missing out on the best of the best, but I'm not complaining. Yet.

It is all in the eyes, or in this case the mouths of the beholder. As all of these posts illustrate what most fine bourbon drinkers already know. We taste them all when we can find and afford them. We all have our favorites and values to be found depending on our locale and budget. We are all fortunate.

When it's on sale in Montgomery County Maryland liquor stores it's $16.99 - an unbelievable price. Otherwise it ranges around $20-22 where I buy it, but that is still a steal.

I second that! I discovered the sales in Montgomery County a couple of months ago by luck. I can't believe the prices there. I picked up a couple of bottles of ER10 at $16.99. I think that's a deal and a half. Same for ET Lee at $17 and Weller 12yo at $15. The only problem is that it's a bit of a drive for me and I don't get out there too often.

Jay

I am somewhat new to the board as well. I am a huge fan of Knob Creek. The cost here in the Dallas area is $26-$28 a bottle. I love the strong finish. I thought that Woodford Reserve was good on the nose and pallate(sp) but lacked the type of finish I enjoy. Eagle Rare was...okay. Booker's was good enough to try a second bottle.

Good luck on the adventure!

Any one have commetns on Bullit(sp)?

roughouse

Hey Scott, I'd recommend you try the Weller Antique 107 proof. It's a fine bourbon and sells, at least in my area, for under $20.00. Tom V drink.gif

I would highly agree! My Fav pour for the money, except, I cant find it here anymore. Doh!

• 3 weeks later...

I tried Pappy's 20 yr. about 6-7 years ago at a local cigar bar (Nicholson's), where you could get it by the drink. It was bold -- so much more flavor than anything else I'd had. You could literally taste the oak. I liked it, but it was so intense that it couldn't be an everyday drink. Back then, it was relatively cheap -- about $45 for .75L. I should have stocked up. At that price, I think it comes close to surpassing everything else in the $50 range I've had. But these days it's at least $75, and, well, let's just say that I've slowly been working through the bottle I got when I graduated from law school.

On the other high-end front, I've never been a fan of Blantons. I always thought the corn flavor was too everpresent. But, I need to try it again (it's been several years), if only to see if my Booker's experience recurs. My first taste of Booker's was terrible -- it was far too harsh. All I could think was that it was the most expensive rotgut I'd ever had. I went years maligning it to friends. But about 6 months ago, a local retailer with a party store was selling off their stock of Bookers; I picked it up, figuring what the heck. It was pretty darn good, especially for only $20. I'm not sure if it's worth the $40+ price tag, but it definitely makes me willing to re-try other stuff.

For me, the best values are Elijah Craig 12yr, Buffalo Trace, and Bulleit. They're all $20 or less around here. (I still love MM, if only out of nostalgia, but it's gotten so expensive the last few years.). I had some Eagle Rare SB recently -- it's was pretty tasty. But I guess that, if I've learned anything, literal "taste" is about as subjective as it gets -- the ultimate YMMV kind of thing.

Pappy 20 and 23yr old. And Hirsh. Not worth the money for what you get. My opinion:

best for the money:

Old Weller Antique 107

Old Rip Van Winkle 10yr

Pappy Van Winkle 15yr

George T Stagg

Every day pours:

WT101

WT Rare Breed

Old Grand Dad 114

Old Weller 12yr

Old Weller Antique 107

spin_icon.gif

My vote for top self that isn't woth the price is Knob Creek. somehow it just doesn't cut it in the taste dept.I really like Buffalo Trace, W.l Weller 12yr and Beams Black label. Taste without the large price!

Thomas

So far I have not been overly impressed with Jim Beam's top shelf products when their price is considered. I guess right now I feel biased towards several of Buffalo Trace offerings. Don't get me wrong I think the JB premium's are good products but I do feel that for the most part they are overpriced for what you get. The only exception IMHO would be Booker's. It is my GT Stagg subsitute- since they don't seem to have it here in NC. I like Baker's and Knob Creek but would only get them if they were on sale. Basil Hayden would have to be at least 1/4 the normal price before I would buy it.

I pretty much agree with you on price. There's just so much else out there at better prices. I've occasionally though of starting a poll of about what price people would be willing to pay for BH. It's about $33 here, and many 80 proofs are under $10 (JB white is about $14, OF 86 $10, Benchmark $10, Old Crow $8, AA $8, etc). Most of my buying in that price range is just experimental, but I like BH and might be willing to go $15 regularly. Just don't regularly want 80 proof.

Bob

I find the need tow work my way around the wood up front to get to all the goodies in the background. Pappy 20 is a sleeper. Its what's beyond the dry, oaky curtain that makes it great whiskey.

Dig.

soapbox.gif

Pappy at twenty is wonderful. But, I almost agree with Whisky Magazine (not quite Jim Beam Black is better, but...), G.T. Stagg is surpassed by many less expensive pours, such as Buffalo Trace, ORVW, Weller Antique, OGD 114. But it does have rarity going for it, which can tend to add a few points.

Basil Hayden's, JD Single Barrel - not worth $40, Baker's - good but not @ $40...

toast.gif

I agree with these - especially at the LCBO prices. Also, I like Pappy's 12yr old Bourbon (lot "B") but at C$75 I find it overcosted.

I would have to say Baysel Hayden and Elijah Craig 12yr. I actually brought an EC 12yr BACK to the liquor store one time because I couldn't believe how bad it tasted. Then to find out, when they gave me another bottle, THATS what it tastes like. Has a very odd flavor and strange aftertaste to me.

In the 'not worth the price' category, cast my passionate vote for Woodford Reserve.

Basil Hayden certainly comes to mind as well, but I think it's due more to being 80-proof.

It's not exactly 'high-end' but cast my vote for Jim Beam Small Batch with port added. At $40-45 AU it's definately not worth it to me.

I'd prefer to spend the same money on a bottle of Makers, Bulleit or Evan Williams SB.

In the 'not worth the price' category, cast my passionate vote for Woodford Reserve.

Basil Hayden certainly comes to mind as well, but I think it's due more to being 80-proof.

Why do you not like Woodford Reserve? It's only about $29 to $32 and I thought it tastes great?

Why do you not like Woodford Reserve? It's only about $29 to $32 and I thought it tastes great?

I've had a frustrating saga with WR--it seems like the more potstill they incorporate the less I like it. Here's an older thread in which I do some venting about WR.

Tricky one as McKenna Single Barrel is one of my favourites smile.gif

Wirh regards high end, I would say Hirsch 16yo and Pappy 20yo are pretty expnsive for what you get, but I still think they are great and worth trying. In fact I am hopfully getting some Pappy 20yo for Xmas, but worth the £85 we pay here for a bottle ?

I strongly dislike JB white and black label and Basil Haydens. I would not want any more of these even for free ! But others like them ....

Okay, I'm home in KY now and what's the first thing I do, go to a bar and what do I see, WR 4grain. After inquiring about the price-$13 bigeyes.gif I figure that I'll either like it and want to go get a bottle or spending that much will save me from spending the rest on a bottle of it, so...

Well, I gotta say it bites. The closest thing I can think of is a lowland scotch, but it doesn't even make a good one of those. There's no smoothness to it, nothing that says wow. There's nothing about the bottle that makes me want it...well, okay I like the bottle, but not the label or the whiskey in it.

What in the world would make them release this? It's vile and does nothing for the brand. Are their stills so bad that this is the best they can do with them? I'll start recommending a lot of cheap blends before I start recommending this.

I am very disappointed that the company that produces Old Forester would sell this, Early Times is a far better product.

Okay-done venting now. It's my pick for bourbon not worth the price.

I'll have to second that! The last time I attempted to try another sample from the bottle (a few days ago), I ended up turning it into a Manhattan in order to make it drinkable. Its just not my thing. In fact, it seems like the only BF I currently like is the Birthday Bourbon.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.