Buying a full cask?

BarItemsPlus1
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Unless you have a license of some sort you cannot buy a full intact barrel and have it delivered that way. If it's the whiskey you are after then almost anyone in the business will let you pick a barrel and they will bottle as their brand and you can buy all that the one barrel makes. It has and is being done by folks on this forum. Buffalo Trace, VanWinkle,BF and HH are ready to do it at the drop of your money. Maybe after a jump thru a couple hoops, Beam, Barton and the rest are probably there too. Wild Turkey would be an interesting place to do it as well.

Wild Turkey would be an interesting place to do it as well.

Yes it would. I'd be interested if anyone heads down this road.

As to a license. My understanding is you can't buy a barrel. Federal law requires bottling in no more than 1.75L bottles. Maybe if you're a distiller/bottler you can buy a barrel (but I didn't think that was what you meant????)

The discussion has gone to - 'Yes, but you can buy an empty barrel (new or used) and all the Bourbon in a barrel and rebarrel it yourself.' There are now a couple threads on this.

Ken

Maybe if you're a distiller/bottler you can buy a barrel (but I didn't think that was what you meant????)

That is exactly what I meant.

I know a guy who uses bourbon to marinate fish and he has a barrel of Pot Still WR in the barrel at his store. Required licensing and inspection by ATF and he has to account for every drop in a log.

Apparently though, its exempt from taxes because its not consumed. Can that be right?

...Apparently though, its exempt from taxes because its not consumed. Can that be right?

Only if the fish are dead when they're put in the barrel, Ed. falling.gif (Or were you asking about the taxes? skep.gif)

Cheers Bobby...I had actually read sometime ago that Beam would bottle a cask, but I had no idea the others where the same. Thanks for that.

Oh and yes I am just after the whisky drinking.gif

Cheers Bobby toast.gif

Wild Turkey would be an interesting place to do it as well.

Yes it would. I'd be interested if anyone heads down this road.

I'M INTERESTED cool.gif

Does Wild Turkey do this, can you put me onto the right contact?

Regarding a liquor license, I will soon have one of these soon but not a bottling license or anything as such.

I may/will look into importing the casks next year.

Ken can you advise me on who I can purchase an empty cask from...I have read the posts on refilling the casks but I don't think my wallet can handle that method. I have just ordered in for myself(I retail them) 2 x 2L American Oak wooden barrels of which I plan on filling with both scotch and bourbon - one for each so I looking forward to that experiment/experience.

Thanks very much Ken for the info, been a big help!

Cheers mate... toast.gif

Oh by the way I'm heading over that way in April, might catch up for a sip drinking.gif

Regards,

Troy.

...Apparently though, its exempt from taxes because its not consumed. Can that be right?

Only if the fish are dead when they're put in the barrel, Ed.

lol.giffalling.gif

hahaha

Sorry Ed, that was a good one Tim

Jack Daniels will let you buy a full barrel of their single barrel.

The way I understand it is this: You have your local distributor or bar buy the barrel, JD bottles the barrel just like they would if it were going out to the public, they ship all the cases and the empty barrel on a pallet to your retailer, then you pay retail price for all of the bottles that the barrel made.

It would be cool to see if any Bourbon makers would be willing to do this. Evan Williams SB or Eagle Rare SB with the empty barrel in the corner would be an amazing conversation piece.

I worked for a restaurant that bought a barrel of Knob Creek from Beam and later a barrel of Buffalo Trace. Seems like they got the barrel to go with them, but I don't know what happened to the barrels. Yes the distributor was involved, they didn't even have to get all of the cases at once, they shipped as the bar needed them.

What happens to the inevitable surplus whiskey when a barrel is sold like this and bottled? Say the last bottle produces 3/4 of a bottle.

Does that go back in other barrels of JD Single? No, because then it wouldn't be a single barrel whiskey.

Does it go in the cistern of regular Jack?

Is it given albeit not full to the buyer of the barrel?

Gary

What happens to the inevitable surplus whiskey when a barrel is sold like this and bottled? Say the last bottle produces 3/4 of a bottle.

Does that go back in other barrels of JD Single? No, because then it wouldn't be a single barrel whiskey.

Does it go in the cistern of regular Jack?

Is it given albeit not full to the buyer of the barrel?

Gary

Why do you think that the bottling crew always has that "Rosy Glow" Gary?

Joe smilielol.gif

Ok, well I will have to give Jack a buzz blush.gif..I mean phone call or email and see what is on offer. Once I have my liquor license it shouldn't be a problem for me cool.gif to by the barrel and have it shipped here, but I will obviously have to make further enquiries.

I am currently arranging a few casks of scotch(soz bowdown.gif Julian and Jimmy, it's a bit easier - but I do understand that bourbon is also not as old and plentiful)

So once I have the Scotch organised I will then move on to the bourbon usflag.gif

...Once I have my liquor license it shouldn't be a problem for me cool.gif to b(u)y the barrel and have it shipped here, but I will obviously have to make further enquiries...

You're in Australia, right? From reports of some of your fellow Aussies on the board here, I suspect the customs/taxes and shipping may wind up costing more than the whiskey -- but, maybe not.

Best of luck!

Yes Tim, to a degree you are correct. I am currently compiling a report on the duties on alcohol worldwide and my friend I can tell you that we pay through the teeth for grog here(at least the taxes on it) and also the duties have just been increased in the last few months.

Tim I have read a number of your reports/posts here and I must say that they are quite interesting reading! coffeedrinker.gif

I can also sympathise a little with your concerns and frustrations at eBay, but unfortunately BT won't release their product on to the Ozzy market and so most Australians have to purchase from eBay to get these particular bottles. I am fortunate enough to have a friend in the US who supplies me with my bottles and because I am only getting a few at a time it isn't so bad on the hip pocket, but to have a case of say Stagg shipped here, well it makes the retail price around AU$250+ a bottle.

I have to say that there is a very big demand for that bourbon here, but unfortunately due to the high rates of duty BT are unable to release it here.

Tim I am in the process of writing an article about how high rates of duties inevitably effect the whisky industry. I was actually reading an article this morning in Melbournes daily paper, reporting that the President of The Royal Australasian College of Physicians has called on our federal government to further increase tax on drinks with a higher alcoholic content. She has also said the money should be put towards research into alcohol-related illness.

Of course she is going to bloody say that hot.gif But unfortunately that's what sort of people are in highly responsible positions, making decisions based on personal gain!!

Basicly the way companies get around the higher tax rates is to release all these bloody Ready To Drink pre-mix cans, and then market them at the younger age groups so they sell more and ultimately regain any lost profit.

Anyway Tim, I have raved on a bit soapbox.gif but it is really good to get feedback from people on this subject.

Drop us a line sometime - PM me

Cheers,

toast.gifTroy.

We sell hundreds of barrels of bourbon from BTD every year to individuals who come to the distillery and select from among Buffalo Trace, Blanton's, Eagle Rare, Elmer T. Lee, etc.

Ken

Gary,

If you end up with 11 bottles, all of that is dumped into the big JD vat for bottling as regular JD. We do the same here in the case of Buffalo Trace and other bourbons. If we have less than a full case of Eagle Rare, it will go into the next batch of BT.

Ken

Hi Ken,

How much? Ball park.

I asked a tour guide that question at the Yoichi distillery here in Hokkaido and got a silly answer. No can do but if we could $10,000 for a barrel? (That can't be right, but that is what my faulty memory is telling me. I think retail would be cheaper.

Ed

G'day Ken, does Candy no longer work there or have you been assigned a new position @ BT, or do you now take care of Kris's position?? confused.gif

Can you advise on what the barrels cost too Ken(the empty ones), Cheers mate. toast.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.