Buying a full cask?

BarItemsPlus1
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

$10,000 for a barrel?

In 2002 Chris Morris at Labrot & Graham said he thought the barrels there, thru Wolfgang Puck were in the 8-12,000 dollar range, Give me 2! I said. No actually the end of the conversation was when he gave me the price. lol.gif

I actually asked about Woodford's barrels but I was told that they sell theirs all on to Scotland and I ain't going to argue with that!

I would really love to see what a fresh spirit would come out like after maturing in a rye barrel(say Eagle Rare 17yr)

Does anyone know who BT sells their barrels to to be refilled with Scotch? Ken can you help on this one??

I think I missed something. If it's just an empty used bourbon barrel, they can be had from Beam or HH for a shade under 50 dollars. The Woodford I refer to for 8-12,000 dollars is the single barrel of aged spirit.

Do you have any contact details for Beam and HH. I had no idea the empties were that readily available and for US$50 shocked.gif I could afford a few barrels at that price cool.gif

I spose shipping would be the most expensive part in buying the barrels.

Wolfgang Puck is a bourbon middleman?

I don't have all the details but once there was an article listing all the famous or near so folks who had a barrel aging for them at LG. Julia Child was one and I would suppose that she didn't get it or it is in her estate. The former Gov of Ky was also in.

Do you have any contact details for Beam and HH.

The outpost sells them at Jim Beam,Don't know the contact at HH. A call to either distillery will get you in touch with the right person, they are businesses and they don't make it difficult to find and buy what they have for sale.

During the tour at Woodford, when they stop in racks, Julia Child's hand signed barrel is right at that point.

Just want to thank everyone who replied, your advise and information has and will be most useful thankyousign.gif

Troy @ Bar Items Plus, Australia

toast.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Candy is still here and Kris is taking a more active role in the domestic bourbon market. I get to do some more consumer and trade relations responsibilities. An emtpy used barrel costs around $25. A barrel of Buffalo Trace yields around 240 bottles. Simply take the current shelf price and multiply by 240 to get the price of a barrel of BT.

Ken

This is actually somewhat of a proprietary question. We used to sell all of our barrels on the open market and most went to Scotland. We now send most of our barrels to specific distillers in the scotch, rum, beer, and tequila business. They have asked that we not reveal who they are.

Many of our customers come to the distillery, sample our wide array of barrels and then select the brand they believe will best impact their brands. We sell different styles to different folks.

Ken

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.