Smoothest / Most Drinkable Bourbons

fogfrog
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Smoothest/Most Drinkable...?

Hands down... Old Rip Van Winkle 15 yr 107.

I have to agree with that, always will be my favorite!

IMHO, Basil Hayden is the smoothest....and I believe this is the reason it is somewhat maligned on this board. It isn't a "bad" bourbon by any means but to me it is too smooth.

Four Roses SB 43% is light and fruity.

Evan Williams SB 1994 was quite light I seem to remember

I have to disagree about Pappy 15yo. Delicious, fantastic and flavour packed, but not easy drinking IMO. I'm not sure a barrel proof 15yo bourbon is the way for a beginner to go ....

I have to disagree about Pappy 15yo. Delicious, fantastic and flavour packed, but not easy drinking IMO. I'm not sure a barrel proof 15yo bourbon is the way for a beginner to go ....

Actually, what we said was the Rip Van Winkle 15 yr 107 not the Pappy... laugh.gif....is it really barrel proof?

After watching this thread for a while, I have my answer: Blanton's. Smooth, drinkable, and it still has excellent flavor.

Tim

After watching this thread for a while, I have my answer: Blanton's. Smooth, drinkable, and it still has excellent flavor.

Tim

wrong...Blanton's is over-rated...not bad, but definately over-rated

Tim

wrong...Blanton's is over-rated...not bad, but definately over-rated

I have to agree with Tim, I think Blantons is a great taste, goes down smooth and is priced at a point in Australian market that I'm more than happy to pay.

...wrong...

If there was a 'right' or 'wrong' here, there would be only one correct answer, yet plenty of folks have offered different suggestions. Now, there's plenty of room for ' in my opinion...' and 'in your opinion...' ... duel.gif

...the Rip Van Winkle 15 yr 107 not the Pappy... laugh.gif....is it really barrel proof?

No.

Whilst tipping my cap to Tim, for so graciously pointing out my most heinous crime of abusing the phrase 'barrel proof' I would argue that 107 proof is often referred to as barrel proof as it is way above the average strength that spirits are bottled at.

And yes sorry Brian I misquoted you there - I meant the Rip Van Winkle too.... My name is Sion or Bamber but 'he' is fine !

I have to put in my two cents on this....

All of the Pappy Bourbons are OUTSTANDING.

The Antique Weller 7yo is probably the best 7yo

Boubon I have ever had......Has more than alot of other

10 or 12yo's as far as taste and smoothness....

The Weller Centennial 12yo is excellent(esp if you can find a bottle from the Louisville distillery).

Old Rip VanWinkle 10yo 107 squat is nice and there is no better Bourbon than the Old Rip VanWinkle 15yo squat.(wish I could find some more of this). Looking forward to opening my 20yo pappy for the holidays, only lasts about 7 days, so I have to wait until we get closer to X-mas...

Enjoy, because that is what I believe Pappy would want us to do..... toast.gif

...Whilst tipping my cap to Tim, for so graciously pointing out my most heinous crime of abusing the phrase 'barrel proof'...

Simply answering a question posed (by another poster) -- no intent to offend. Sorry it seems to have done so.

And yes sorry Brian I misquoted you there - I meant the Rip Van Winkle too.... My name is Sion or Bamber but 'he' is fine !

Son, I was just trying to be clear. I am a big Van Winkle fan and to me, there is a difference between the Pappy and The Old Rip Van Winkle. Although both are very, very good...the Old Rip Van Winkle is a very easy to drink, full flavored bourbon. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

• 1 month later...

I saw the top of this thread and thought "You need to try EWSB." Lo and behold, I get to the bottom of the thread and find I'm only hopping on the bandwagon. Great bourbon, unreal price.

Also, pour a whiskey neat, or with just a little water, and let it sit for a few minutes, to breathe, etc. It's hard to let it be for a few minutes, but I think it makes for a better drink.

I'll also echo the Basil Hayden's tip for a smooth whiskey, though as others have mentioned, it's not the greatest value in terms of proof. Value, though, is more accurately measured by enjoyment, and you may really like it. It comes in airplane bottles if you want to try it without forking out. I gave a bottle to my dad, whose every day pour alternates between EW 7 YO and EW 1783 (or some year thereabouts), and he's loving it- can't get over how smooth it is.

EWSB '96 is one of the smoothest bourbons I've had. It also is a great price. If Basil Hayden's was priced similarly then they would be competitive with each other on the shelf IMHO. Also, ETL, the BOTM last month has a smoothness yet complexity that may still make it an attractive pour for those who tend to dislike bourbons that are "too smooth".

I was thinking along the same lines apparently as most here: Basil Hayden's, which like many here, I find almost repulsive. Bourbon IMHO, just isn't supposed to be that smooth - THAT is why I quit drinking scotch. Also I find MM to be incredibly smooth and considering it's less expensive and IMO better tasting I'd buy (well really I never would) buy it over BH if I was looking for something very smooth... I am with most here, for what BH cost there is no way I ever have and never will buy a bottle of that stuff.

I have not yet, but will buy a bottle this weekend, tried EWSB. I love EW whatever that regular black label is called, so I can only imagine EWSB is better.

Also ETL is great, to me it's not quite as smooth, but very very good!

I am arriving very late here....but, have to put in my 2 cents worth. If one can afford it, I would also go with the ORVW 15yo. However, if availability or the budget is a problem, I would fall back to VWSR 12yo.....very smooth, very subtle IMHO. If that is still too expensive, then go for the Weller Antique 107 or better yet the Weller 12yo - and, MM is definitely in the running as well....can't go wrong with any of those.

I think the easiest drinking bourbons I have tried are G Dickel RX bourbon 80 proof and AAA 10Y 80 proof. But this is partly because of the low proof. I think both of them would have been very much better at a higher proof.

Leif

I am arriving very late here....but, have to put in my 2 cents worth. If one can afford it, I would also go with the ORVW 15yo. However, if availability or the budget is a problem, I would fall back to VWSR 12yo.....very smooth, very subtle IMHO. If that is still too expensive, then go for the Weller Antique 107 or better yet the Weller 12yo - and, MM is definitely in the running as well....can't go wrong with any of those.

After opening the EWSB '95 last night, I must interject that selection into the above mix.....and, I put it ahead of the Wellers. If EWSB '96 is better (don't have any yet), then I would elevate it into the upper echelon with the VWSR.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.