Smoothest / Most Drinkable Bourbons

fogfrog
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was thinking along the same lines apparently as most here: Basil Hayden's, which like many here, I find almost repulsive. Bourbon IMHO, just isn't supposed to be that smooth - THAT is why I quit drinking scotch. Also I find MM to be incredibly smooth and considering it's less expensive and IMO better tasting I'd buy (well really I never would) buy it over BH if I was looking for something very smooth... I am with most here, for what BH cost there is no way I ever have and never will buy a bottle of that stuff.

Storytime.

In college, I did the typical "take a bunch of bourbon shots, get sick, and thereafter hate the taste of bourbon" thing. Most of us probably have had a taste aversion to one form of alcohol or another. Anyway, I still enjoyed Scotch and Irish for the following several years, but couldn't stomach even the smell of bourbon. At a friend's birthday party a couple of years ago, he said "you have to try this bourbon." I declined originally, but he was persistent, and I took a sip of the Basil Hayden's he was offering me. Immediately, I was a bourbon fan, and though I still keep a bottle of Irish and a bottle of Scotch around, bourbon has since been the mainstay for me- the only whiskey I have more than one bottle of, and my everyday pour.

BH is not my favorite, nor is it in my cabinet right now, but I think it's a great bourbon for someone who is used to the smoother whiskeys from the Isles, amongst which it is a good value, as well. Also, it led me to explore the JB small batch collection, trying Knob Creek, Baker's, and Booker's as well in one of the mini sampler packs within a month of initially tasting it- a fine introduction to bourbon and a good way to spend an evening. I completely understand the rationale against BH- low proof, too smooth for some, and have no problem with that. No argument here. I just wanted to add that it's good bourbon in my book, and that I'm glad it's out there.

For anyone who is interested in the SoCal area Hi TIme wine cellar has Basil Hayden's on sale for a very nice price of $28.99 I believe it was :shocked: , thought about it, but nope just couldn't do it. Might pick up a bottle just to do another tasting and have something really smooth on hand for guests wanting something easy to drink, my girlfriend might actually like it! Oh they also have ETL for $20.99, I AM going to pick up at least one of those this weekend, now THAT Is a good deal!!!

Christian,

At that price, I'd probably think about buying the BH as well, and might just do it. I like it well enough, and you make good points about guests, but I just don't feel right spending that for 80 proof, even trying to accept it on its own terms. But I would definitely jump on the ETL; going just from what I've read, there is probably no other bourbon I more fervantly wish was distributed here.

Bob

Christian,

But I would definitely jump on the ETL; going just from what I've read, there is probably no other bourbon I more fervantly wish was distributed here.

Bob

Same here. I have a bottle of ETL and BT in the cabinet that I'm afraid to open because I don't know when I can replace them.

I've always found that Weller 12yr to be the smoothest bourbon to me. It just goes in and down with no trouble at all.

Christian,

At that price, I'd probably think about buying the BH as well, and might just do it. I like it well enough, and you make good points about guests, but I just don't feel right spending that for 80 proof, even trying to accept it on its own terms. But I would definitely jump on the ETL; going just from what I've read, there is probably no other bourbon I more fervantly wish was distributed here.

Bob

... And I did! I felt a little weird buying a bottle that I pretty much knew I'D never drink much of, but would have on hand for my girl and other friends and visitors.

Now this is where the story gets intriguing: All of maybe her 3rd taste of bourbon and after a sip of BH my girlfriend starts with the tasting notes. I kid you not, she was saying how after she swallows it she noticed a vanilla and spice (don't remember exaclty which spice) flavor lingering!! Now she knows absolutely nothing of tasting notes and hasn't even seen this website or read anything about bourbon. After that she had a slice of smoked gouda cheese that I cut for her as I was making of a grilled cheese and turkey sandwich and she comments on how well bourbon and cheese goes together. Now if it wasn't for reading specifically somewhere on this site that Julian VW himself was quoted on how well Smoked Gouda and VWSR went together I would not have thought much of it, but I think I may have a natural bourbon connoisseur on my hands here!?!? :pope:

She still thinks I am crazy :bigeyes: for paying 2 1/2 bills for a bottle though! (Pappy 23)........

• 2 weeks later...
I've always found that Weller 12yr to be the smoothest bourbon to me. It just goes in and down with no trouble at all.

That is great stuff.

Whilst tipping my cap to Tim, for so graciously pointing out my most heinous crime of abusing the phrase 'barrel proof' I would argue that 107 proof is often referred to as barrel proof as it is way above the average strength that spirits are bottled at.

I think the term you're looking for is overproof, which is anything over 100 proof

I'll also echo the Basil Hayden's tip for a smooth whiskey, though as others have mentioned, it's not the greatest value in terms of proof. Value, though, is more accurately measured by enjoyment, and you may really like it.

Exactly! I'm puzzled by people being upset that BH is over-priced b/c of its proof. The value of the bourbon is not in its proof but in how good it is to drink. I'm not buying bourbon to acquire large amounts of alcohol; I'm buying bourbon for the taste, mouthfeel, etc. I think it's quite good as a light-tasting, easy-sipping bourbon and could care less whether it's 141 proof or 30 proof. Measure outputs, not inputs. Also, if you buy it on sale or from the right store, it's really not that expensive - I've bought two bottles and I think both were in the high 20s to low 30s.

A smooth budget bourbon would be Old Fitz 1849, an everyday favorite of mine. Beam Black is also pretty smooth. I remember Maker's as being smooth, but haven't had any in awhile. EC12 is prob also not a bad choice.

Exactly! I'm puzzled by people being upset that BH is over-priced b/c of its proof. The value of the bourbon is not in its proof but in how good it is to drink. I'm not buying bourbon to acquire large amounts of alcohol; I'm buying bourbon for the taste, mouthfeel, etc. I think it's quite good as a light-tasting, easy-sipping bourbon and could care less whether it's 141 proof or 30 proof. Measure outputs, not inputs. Also, if you buy it on sale or from the right store, it's really not that expensive - I've bought two bottles and I think both were in the high 20s to low 30s.

A smooth budget bourbon would be Old Fitz 1849, an everyday favorite of mine. Beam Black is also pretty smooth. I remember Maker's as being smooth, but haven't had any in awhile. EC12 is prob also not a bad choice.

I think the point everyone is making here, is that Basil Hayden's is a lot to pay for the distilleries water. If BH were, say 90 to 100 proof, and then YOU decide to ALWAYS proof it down to 80 for YOUR drinkability, then you are actually getting more bourbon per bottle when its higher proof.

Of course its all about how it tastes, but I'd rather proof my own down and control it than have the distillery do it. Thats what makes BH overpriced and not worth the price. I mean, its easy to proof down, but you can't "proof up". AND....who would want to proof down lower than 80? IMHO, 80 proof bourbons are not "serious" bourbons and are a product that have bowed to the beancounters.

I've long thought about this price/proof dogging of BH and sometimes I agree and sometimes don't. But if you think about it, you usually pay the same for a case of regular beer as you do for corresponding light beer or regular soft drinks versus diet..... Think of BH as Diet Bourbon Lite! Less alcohol! Tastes great! Fewer Calories!

I'll go back to some of the earlier posts - to me Maker's Mark is about as smooth (and ultimately unchallenging) as a bourbon can get - which makes it a decent introduction. I've used it a number of times in just that way. I prefer my whiskies neat (or a few drops of water to bring out the flavor - especially with Scotch) and found that I quickly wanted more bite than a wheater has. WT Kentucky Spirit is great for that and is still one of my favorites. Lately I've been enjoying some Sazerac 18 yr Rye - just wonderful!

I have only had 4 bottles of VW12YO lot B but there is only the VWFRR that even comes close to being as smooth as this SUPERB whiskey!

My mate bought me a shot of Lot B in a bar in early 2005 and it was like a religious experience - the smoothness and amazing vanilla finish near bowled me over. I left skid marks back towards the bar for another shot!

It really is one of the finest whiskeys I have come across in my 22 years of Bouron travel. (Yes I know that makes my start age criminally young but you can't fight the tide!)

My vote for smoothnees goes to the darkhorse....VIRGINIA GENTLEMAN.

If by chance you can get your paws on a bottle of this bliss...snap it up...in either the 80 or the award winning 90 small batch variety.

Smooth as a baby's behind.

The "Bourbon of Virginia" should be the "Bourbon of the World". I'd take a bottle of the 80...even with a screw off cap...over stuff costing 3 times as much anyday. One of the top ten bourbons "nobody's ever heard of".

I have only had 4 bottles of VW12YO lot B but there is only the VWFRR that even comes close to being as smooth as this SUPERB whiskey!

My mate bought me a shot of Lot B in a bar in early 2005 and it was like a religious experience - the smoothness and amazing vanilla finish near bowled me over. I left skid marks back towards the bar for another shot!

It really is one of the finest whiskeys I have come across in my 22 years of Bouron travel. (Yes I know that makes my start age criminally young but you can't fight the tide!)

You actually did a "shot" of VW lot B??? That should be against the law! Drink it...enjoy it...

I would have to put Eagle Rare 17 into this category. I know a lot of people are not too fond of it, but I think the '05 is quite nice for it's subtlety. A very smooth pour.

Hey Brian!

My wording is not the best I admit it! I meant I was bought a jigger of said libation and of course sipped it.

Bourbon is one spirit I would not EVER down in one childish fratboy gulp... perish the thought!

Hey Brian!

My wording is not the best I admit it! I meant I was bought a jigger of said libation and of course sipped it.

Bourbon is one spirit I would not EVER down in one childish fratboy gulp... perish the thought!

thank god!...ahhhhhhhh...I cam sleep well tonight...

Fratboy? Hey, I resemble that remark! It was a fratboy that introduced me to SW whiskey and I am forever in his debt. As a matter of fact, next time I'm in Columbia I'm dropping off a BOTY bottle to him.

Here's to good old Delta

Drink her down, Drink her down.

Here's to good old Delta

Drink her down, Drink her down

Here's to good old Delta

Cause she's hearty and she's healthy

Drink her down, Drink her down, Drink her down, down, down, HEY!

No offence to "childish fratboy" drinking games at all! They can be great fun...

Just not with a super whiskey that really should be savoured - whether in a bar or at home.

I guess I'll have to scratch Van Winkle Pong off my list of planned Sampler activities.

Darn!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.