G. T. Stagg

tmas
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I would love to try the Stagg but I've never seen it. Just wondering if anyone from the NYC vicinity might know a store that has it. Tom V confused.gif

I'd say check LeNell's in Brooklyn. It's listed on their website though they may not have gotten any yet or may be out already. Good luck

For goodness sakes, would one of you NY'ers please help this guy out! smirk.gif

Yeah, that's the spirit Dave, appreciate that! By the way, what is that leaf in your photo? Were you making mint juleps with the world's largest strain of mint? Tom V

Thanks Timothy,that's an excellent idea! I haven't been over to Lenell's in a couple of months, but I should have thought of that, if anyone might have it it would probably be her. Great little shop! Tom V icon_pidu.gif

I was thinking that was legal Canadian medicinal cannabis given the look in his eyes

Speaking of which - I am sure glad you replaced that bug-eyed baby avatar with the beagle (looks like my old beagle, but I guess they all look the same). It really weirded me out!

Jeff

Actually it's the world's largest basil leaf but you can use it to roll your legal Cdn. bud. grin.gif

There appears to be one here but $100.00 seems a bit much to pay. And I think it is the spring version and not the current one. confused.gif

But Jeff, the whole problem with the baby was that the TOBASCO bottle was obscured by the resizing...

The dog pic is supposed to warn you not to accellerate too fast when Bowser is standing on leather or vinyl seats....

• 4 weeks later...

Don 't know if you're still looking but Ehrlich's on 70th and Amsterdam has both the Weller and the Stagg at a fair price.

Here's a dumb question confused.gif. I have seen a Stagg in just about every large store around my town. I have seen references on bourbonenthusiast.com to each year of Stagg issuance. So, I suppose each bottle is marked with a date? Like I said, a dumb question - I just never picked up a bottle and looked at it. The 141 proof is enough to scare me away notwithstanding the pricey nature of Stagg. ohgeez.gif

The reason I ask is that a smaller store where I stopped last night had a couple of bottles of Stagg pushed way to the back in an unreachable area of their very high top shelf. When I checked out, I asked the clerk about that Stagg to which he replied "well, it has been up there a long time....don't know how old it is....nobody ever asks for it". Is there any particular year of Stagg better than another? thankyousign.gif

usflag.gif Wayne

I have seen a Stagg in just about every large store around my town.

You have no idea how lucky you are. I have to drive 7 hours if I want to get a Stagg!

The only way to tell is by the proof, except for the 2002, which had a gold "whiskey of the year" sticker. Here are the proofs by year. If you find an '02 or '03 and want to trade, let me know, I'd be very interested in either. The 2002 is considered the best of all the Staggs and very very hard to find. The '03 is also quite hard to find. Greg toast.gif

2002 -- 137.6

2003 -- 142.7

2004 --129

spring 2005 -- 131.8

spring 2005 -- 130.9 (Kentucky only release)

fall 2005 -- 141.2

Actually each bottle isn't marked with a date. The collected wisdom of this board has put together lists of which proof matches which bottling. As each proof(so far...) has been different from the last, this has been fairly easy, but as time goes by at some point there will likely be a matching proof and I hope by then BT will put a vintage date on them.

The only way to tell is by the proof, except for the 2002, which had a gold "whiskey of the year" sticker. Here are the proofs by year. If you find an '02 or '03 and want to trade, let me know, I'd be very interested in either. The 2002 is considered the best of all the Staggs and very very hard to find. The '03 is also quite hard to find. Greg toast.gif

2002 -- 137.6

2003 -- 142.7

2004 --129

spring 2005 -- 131.8

spring 2005 -- 130.9 (Kentucky only release)

fall 2005 -- 141.2

Thanks very much! Good info to have on hand. I'll write them down on a business card and keep it in my wallet. cool.gif

I'll be back in that small store before the end of the week. I'll check on the age of those 2 dusty top shelf bottles of Stagg and let you know in which year they originate. From as far back on the shelf, dusty as they looked, and the reaction of the clerk to my questioning - I would think they are either 2002 or 03. But, as they say, never assume...it could just as well be 2004 bottles. It don't take dust long to collect.

thankyousign.gif

Thanx Again,

usflag.gif Wayne

". Is there any particular year of Stagg better than another?

The 2002 is the best by far,so far. The 2005 Ky release is 2nd. Here's the tricky part the 129 proof 2004 version is 3rd and the non Kentucky spring 2005 is next.The 2003 Haz Mat was dead last, I might add that the loser in this race still beats everything else available. I have a late 2005 Haz Mat version 2 but I haven't pulled the plug yet.

If the Haz Mat nomeclature is lost on anyone Look Here. Those were fun days!

Well, my curiosity was killing me - so I went back to check on the dusty bottle Staggs after work tonight. As it turns out, once we climbed up the ladder and pulled them down the dust was not so thick. Both were the recent 141.2 proof bottling. We looked around but found no more Stagg in the house.....False Alarm! frown.gif

I'll keep looking around now that I know what to look for in terms of Stagg bottlings. Out on my journeys tomorrow I will keep an eye out for the elusive 2002 version....doubt I'll ever see it - but one never knows. I did manage to find an old bottle of VWFRR while on the evening adventure. So, all was not a loss in the end. cool.gif

Thanks for all the help with the info on Stagg. The Haz Mat story is great!

usflag.gif Wayne

Here's the entire list in the correct chronological order:

2002 -- 137.6

2003 -- 142.7

2004 -- 129

Spring 2005, Lot A -- 130.9 (KY)

Spring 2005, Lot B -- 131.8 (rebarreled)

Fall 2005 -- 141.2

The hunting today was productive: Brought home two (2) GTS, 131.8 proof (spring 05) @ $45 incl tax. The same bottle and proof at my neighborhood store is over $65 incl tax. I did not need 2 but could not pass up the price. smile.gif

Still on the hunt for one of those 2002s though....nobody I met today could remember ever even seeing one.....scarce, very, very scarce. searching.gif

usflag.gif

scarce, very, very scarce.

Here's why............

That's where they all went!!!

Guess I might as well throw in the towel and not waste any more time searching.gifbanghead.gif *#&%*!!!!

At least it was fun while it lasted. cry.gif

On that note, I better have a drink.gif.

usflag.gif

I had help, folks on this board bought about 2% of the total production of that 1st year Stagg. Kris Comstock got a funny look when we told him that together we had enough to fill a barrel back up. Truthfully it was love at first taste in 2002 when we were treated to a couple 200 ml samples by Ken Weber at BT during a festival event for SB.com.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.