Wild Turkey - RR 101

ProofPositive
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

For all we know RR 90 could be gone in a year, then we will be back here posting about how we picked up the last 5 bottles of RR 90.grin.gifgrin.gif

Or, as is most likely the case we'll buy up the 90 proof in protest to the "NEW" Russell's Reserve 80 Proof. hot.gif

Joe usflag.gif

That must just be Manhattan pricing. Most of the liquor stores in the SF Bay Area are selling it for around $20, which is less than RR101, which was going for $30-$40.

....And, before you know it, there will be a Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve 50 Proof Liqueur. woohoo.gif

....And, before you know it, there will be a Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve 50 Proof Liqueur. woohoo.gif

I'm holding out for the Russell's Reserve Berry Cooler! puke.gif

I'm holding out for the Russell's Reserve Berry Cooler! puke.gif

Maybe we can look forward to Russell's Reserve Hi-Fiber liquid supplement when we get to the nursing home years. If so, make sure they keep the Depends close by! icon_redface.gif

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!

Enough is enough! This is a Wild Turkey we're talking about! Don't force me to have you guys excommunicated or sent through the Bourbon Inquisition! pope.gif

I believe when asked which his favorite bottling is at a Sampler or Gazebo past, Jimmy unequivically stated just plain old Wild Turkey 101. Perfect taste, perfect proof at a perfect price.

I haven't seen any price change around Atlanta. The 90 is priced the same $28 or so that the 101 was.

Bob

More than likely the price of the RR101 will not increase substantially once it is gone from the shelves. It will all depend upon demand. Except for us here, the bourbon newcomers will just get used to seeing RR90 and never know better! Now, whether they buy it more than once is another question for another day. They will probably never have any of the RR101 to compare it against so maybe it will be fine with them, who knows? I am sure it will always have a place of honor in these halls and we will keep it alive....and so the demand will exist and slowly increase the price through the years. usflag.gif

Here is my take on the RR101. I think Wild turkey had a suprise hit on there hands. They steadily raised the price to help stretch their supply. They found out they could get the higher price for this product so they decided to drop the proof and stretch the supply more. I read somewhere that Jimmy Russell was quoted as saying the change was a marketing move. I don't buy the arguement that bartenders find the 90 proof earier to mix with. Any time I order a drink of Wild Turkey, I pretty much plan on getting 101 unless I ask otherwise. Bars don't seem to be flooded with WT 80 or even RR90 that I have noticed. Back in August, Ohio dropped RR101/90 to 19.00 a bottle to clear out the 101 stock. Being that this is only 1.00 more than regular 101, this is a no brainer for any WT drinker. I cleared the shelf of every store I knew of for 25 miles around. As of Sept. 1st, RR90 has been selling for 28.85 a bottle, and not much seems to be moving. If i want to drink RR at 90 proof, I'll cut the 101 down to 90. Long live RR101!

Thomas

Back in August, Ohio dropped RR101/90 to 19.00 a bottle to clear out the 101 stock. Being that this is only 1.00 more than regular 101, this is a no brainer for any WT drinker. I cleared the shelf of every store I knew of for 25 miles around. As of Sept. 1st, RR90 has been selling for 28.85 a bottle, and not much seems to be moving.

Thomas

I'm not crazy!!!

I had a bottle of 101 and a bottle of the 90, but I couldn't figure out why I would have bought the 90 at almost $30 a bottle.

The fog is beginning to clear...

Found 8 more available bottles of RR101 today here locally. That brings the total number of orphans around here that I presently am aware of to approximately 22....all of whom need a home. In the next few weeks, my intentions are to provide each one of them a loving home here with me. smil41df29a15fb35.gif22.gif As they "charity begins in the heart".

Forgot to add a question to last thread. What is going price these days of WT Tribute? Is $100 a bottle unreasonable? thankyousign.gif

usflag.gif

Forgot to add a question to last thread. What is going price these days of WT Tribute? Is $100 a bottle unreasonable? thankyousign.gif

usflag.gif

100 bucks seems to be about the going rate for it. The last bottle I got for 90.

Joe usflag.gif

Since it was a one time bottling, and given the state of bourbon collecting these days, the longer you wait, the less there is and the higher the price will get by retailers who know what they have. It's more a question of whether you want to pay that price now or more later unfortunately. One thing you don't see these days are price reductions (unless you live in Missouri and the bourbons sit on the shelf a year or more, they go onto the bargain shelf long before you walk in the door).

Picked up 2 more RR101s today for the bunker. cool.gif I have pretty much swept half the county over the last 6 weeks and found approximately 12-15 left in the area. searching.gif Most of the stores I've not visited are in places where you would have never found RR in the first place. I tried a couple of them. All they had were bottom-shelf bourbons and a few of the mid-shelf type.

Anyhow, 2 down and several to go. Hopefully, by the end of winter, I should have most of the rest of them stashed away here at home. lol.gif My only obstacle - other than the $$ - will be if some of the local yokal knot-heads crazy.gif catch on or learn to how to read. shocked.gif

usflag.gif Wayne

I too have come across some 101, but seems to be disappearing fast. Actually I have not seen any 90 yet, maybe just because I wasn't really paying attention until reading on here that they were lowering it...

Guess I should put away a couple of bottles while it is on sale for $22?

I too have come across some 101, but seems to be disappearing fast. Actually I have not seen any 90 yet, maybe just because I wasn't really paying attention until reading on here that they were lowering it...

Guess I should put away a couple of bottles while it is on sale for $22?

My humble advice FWIW: If you can get it for $22, run...don't walk...run tomorrow and get enough to meet your level of comfort. The best price in my area: $25.99 + tax, the worst: $29.99 + tax. You are definitely looking at a great deal for $22 and you best take advantage of it as long as the supply or sale holds out.

You are definitely looking at a great deal for $22 and you best take advantage of it as long as the supply or sale holds out.

It's actually a January special, reg. 27, so it's a nice $5 off right now. If I was not mulling over whether or not to spend 250 on a Pappy 23yo, I would be stocking up, but if I buy the Pappy then that is it at least for a couple of weeks!

Question is: Is this the only Pappy I'll come across this year? Ever? stickpoke.gif

You are definitely looking at a great deal for $22 and you best take advantage of it as long as the supply or sale holds out.

It's actually a January special, reg. 27, so it's a nice $5 off right now. If I was not mulling over whether or not to spend 250 on a Pappy 23yo, I would be stocking up, but if I buy the Pappy then that is it at least for a couple of weeks!

Question is: Is this the only Pappy I'll come across this year? Ever? stickpoke.gif

IMHO, to answer your last question: Noboby knows for sure, but I would not take a chance. From all I hear from you guys out there, CA is the last to get allotments....that is, if there is any left! cry.gif (SEE MY POST A FEW MINUTES AGO IN THE PAPPY 23 THREAD).

I can understand your situation. WTRR-101 @ $22 is definitely something extremely difficult to walk away from - even for just a couple of weeks! Are you a regular customer of the store? If so, and RR101 is not yet in high demand there, the owner might very well hold some of it for you. Do you know how many total RR101 he has left in stock? If not an abundant amount, he/she might clear the shelf for you. I have found a few stores where the owners were glad to get RR101 off the shelf so they can roll out RR90. In fact, more than a couple of them would not put RR90 out until all the RR101 was gone - so as to avoid any questions or hamper potential RR90 sales. So far, I don't think they had to really worry about it. banghead.gif I have yet to see anyone buy any RR90 around here. puke.gif

Hope this helps and you can somehow secure both the Pappy 23 and a number of the RR101s as well. toast.gif

usflag.gif Wayne

The 101 is still in relatively good supply around here. I've seen 10 or 12 bottles on the shelves in recent days.

Has anyone actually tried the 101 and 90 side by side? We're all viewing this transition as a rather bad thing (myself included) but there are many very good 90 proof bourbons around. Has anyone done a comparison or do I need to take this upon myself ... in service to the greater community?

Craig

I was thinking about nominating the 90 proof RR for a bourbon of the month (BOTM) thread .......do I hear a second???

I don't think any of us really expect the 90 to be bad bourbon; WT's too good for that. There are certainly good 90 proofers out there (Saz is maybe my favorite pour), and what little I've had of the WT 80 tells me they still do a good job, even when they reduce the proof. I think it's just inevitable to see the move to 90 as a "take away" from something a lot of folks here really like.

Bob

I don't think any of us really expect the 90 to be bad bourbon; WT's too good for that. There are certainly good 90 proofers out there (Saz is maybe my favorite pour), and what little I've had of the WT 80 tells me they still do a good job, even when they reduce the proof. I think it's just inevitable to see the move to 90 as a "take away" from something a lot of folks here really like.

Bob

Agree - if RR had been introduced as 90 originally, this thread would have never existed. Other than WT80, the company had never produced a sub-101 bourbon to the best of my knowledge. It could have been successful as a 90 if done right but 'retreating' to 90 from 101 is just so un-WT like.

As it says on the back of the good ole 101 label (and my memory may not have the exact words here), "they (the hunters) always asked for that wild turkey bourbon"....this always meant the original 101 proof bourbon. The name "Jimmy Russell" is world-renowned & synonymous with WT, and, WT is world-renowned & synonymous with 101 proof bourbon. So, one last time, IMHO putting the name "Russell" on anything from WT that is not 101 proof (or higher) is blasphemy. pope.gifhot.gif

Well, maybe that is a little strong.....but it is only my opinion - and in the long run will likely become a minority opinion at that. All being said, the change of RR from 101 to 90 will never ever nope.gif prevent me from enjoying the remainder of the WT produce line and enjoy it to its fullest!! drink.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.