Wild Turkey - RR 101

ProofPositive
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

For me I went for Rare Breed and RR 101 without ever trying any other Wild Turkey products.

I just got a bottle of 101 the other day and will be sampling it later while hopefully enjoying the hockey game.

Just poured the last 1.5 oz. or so out of my bottle of RR 90 and decided to open one of my RR 101 for comparison.

Novice impressions:

Side by side out of the bottle - no obvious difference in color or body.

Nose - 90 proof is a little woody (oaky?) with a little spice undertone. 101 seems to be opposite - more spicy with a little hint of oak.

Taste (neat) - 101 definitely has a more "buttery" texture. Seems to be spicier (a more well trained palate could likely differentiate the spices).

101 with a few drops of spring water and 90 neat - spices of the 101 definitely more pronounced.

Nice finish for both with a slight burn when it hits bottom. If I was forced to id. during a blind taste test I would likely fail miserably. Given the choice right now I would prefer the 101 with a few drops of spring water.

Again, just the impressions of a novice. Take it for what its worth.

Has anyone actually tried the 101 and 90 side by side? We're all viewing this transition as a rather bad thing (myself included) but there are many very good 90 proof bourbons around. Has anyone done a comparison or do I need to take this upon myself ... in service to the greater community?

Craig

When the 90 proof version arrived here, I bought a bottle and did an informal side by side, and as far as I can tell, the 101 and 90 are from the same sort of barrels, since they share just about every tasting element (accounting for proof differences).

But, the 90 is diluted somewhat. I personally prefer WTRR at 101 proof, as the flavors are more concentrated and that proof / alcohol content seems to balance the rest of the flavors well. While the 90 is still fine whiskey, the 101 is bigger and better, merely because of the lack of dilution.

I bunkered a good bit of WTRR101 and I won't be buying the 90 anytime soon.

One good thing is that the new 90 version showed up in a sleazy rock and roll club that I frequent, so maybe they're gonna do some more serious marketing of the 90. IMHO, this is good, since these places never had the 101 in the first place, and now, at least they'll have the 90, which is a definite step above plain old WT101 (or worse yet WT80, which is all I can get at many other local bars).

A mixed bag, but I do think that WTRR101 was a truly fine beverage, so much so that I bunkered a good bit of it. WTRR90 is still good, but it ain't as good as the 101 version, IMHO.

Regards,

-monte-

the 90 is diluted somewhat. I personally prefer WTRR at 101 proof, as the flavors are more concentrated and that proof / alcohol content seems to balance the rest of the flavors well. While the 90 is still fine whiskey, the 101 is bigger and better, merely because of the lack of dilution.

I bunkered a good bit of WTRR101 and I won't be buying the 90 anytime soon.

One good thing is that the new 90 version showed up in a sleazy rock and roll club that I frequent, so maybe they're gonna do some more serious marketing of the 90. IMHO, this is good, since these places never had the 101 in the first place, and now, at least they'll have the 90, which is a definite step above plain old WT101 (or worse yet WT80, which is all I can get at many other local bars).

A mixed bag, but I do think that WTRR101 was a truly fine beverage, so much so that I bunkered a good bit of it. WTRR90 is still good, but it ain't as good as the 101 version, IMHO.

Regards,

-monte-

I would tend to agree with just about everything you said.....except the part: "90,...a definite step above plain WT101". nope.gif If I had the choice of both at the price of WT101, no doubt in my mind that it would be "that old wild turkey bourbon" every single time. yum.gif

In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say I would probably pay more for WT101 than RR90!!! toast.giftoast.giftoast.gif

If I had the choice of both at the price of WT101, no doubt in my mind that it would be "that old wild turkey bourbon" every single time. yum.gif

I absolutely agree. bandit.gif

Joe usflag.gif

In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say I would probably pay more for WT101 than RR90!!!

Shhh! Don't give the WT101 brand manager any ideas!

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

If you look at the new Malt Advocate, there is an ad for the new RR and it totally avoids any mention of Wild Turkey. They seem to really want to keep that a secret. WHAT A DISGRACE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe

I'll just keep bunkering my RR101's ( 14 so far) and pretend that RR90 is a red-headed step child.

If you look at the new Malt Advocate, there is an ad for the new RR and it totally avoids any mention of Wild Turkey. They seem to really want to keep that a secret. WHAT A DISGRACE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, if you look closely at the label in the photo of the bottle, you can see "Wild Turkey" written vertically.:rolleyes:

When did you get the new issue? Mine has yet to arrive.

Mine arrived in today's mail. A quick glance reveals that they gave a score of 91 to the Woodford Reserve Four Grain (p. 63):

The first four-grain, 100% copper pot-dstilled bourbon in many decades. The flavors are distinctive, silky-textured, and seamless. Bright fruit notes of berries and citrus are balanced nicely by maple syrup, caramel and toffee. The whiskey is quite nutty too and delicately spiced with vanilla, mint and cinnamon. It finishes pleasingly smooth and polished."

Very different from the impressions of SBers posted here. Jim Murray has reviewed it very favorably, too, as has been noted here.

Wish it weren't so pricey - I'd like to try it myself. But I make it a rule not to spend more on a bottle of whiskey than I paid for my first car!

Anybody seen it in a bar anywhere?

Jeff

I'll just keep bunkering my RR101's ( 14 so far) and pretend that RR90 is a red-headed step child.

Well, you're way ahead of me at this point! I have been chasing some other Turkey and other stuff of late & fallen off the pace.....got to get back in the RR101 harvesting mode soon before word gets out and none to be found!

Sounds like WT is not ashamed at all!

I tried RR 101 for the first time today- bought the other day after reading this thread and realizing that it is going to be increasingly rare. All I can say is thanks, guys. It's a fantastic bourbon, and though I don't have much of a tasting vocabulary at this point, I really appreciate the depth and strength of its flavor, expecially alongside the smoothness of this bourbon. I'm glad I get to have it around for a while, though that is an extremely relative term. I imagine I'll try the 90 proof eventually, though the discussions on this board have placed it well down the list (ETL is next).

• 2 weeks later...

Well the 101 is defenitely getting harder to find, a store I frequent had the 90 out now which means they must have sold out of the 101. Guess I need to go out next week and pick up a couple more if I can still find it for $22!...

• 5 months later...

I found two bottles of the WT RR 101. Anyone interested in trading, please PM me. It really didn't take long for this to become a dusty corner find, huh?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.