What Bourbon Did You Get For The Holidays?

tmas
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I got a bottle of Woodford Reserve, and Maker's from friends. When I got to Louisville, I went on a shopping trip and picked up E.T. Lee, HH 10YO, VOB90, Russel's Reserve, Weller 12YO, and Evan Williams SB. Out of the whole batch, the RR just didn't do it for me. I gave the bottle to my BIL. The EWSB, on the other hand is glorious! bowdown.gif

I got a bottle of Woodford Reserve, and Maker's from friends. When I got to Louisville, I went on a shopping trip and picked up E.T. Lee, HH 10YO, VOB90, Russel's Reserve, Weller 12YO, and Evan Williams SB. Out of the whole batch, the RR just didn't do it for me. I gave the bottle to my BIL. The EWSB, on the other hand is glorious! bowdown.gif

In re to the RR, was it the 101 breed or the new 90 proof?

I located three tax-stamped half pints of Bond & Lillard which went to my dad on Christmas Eve.....it was his brand back in the day.

schlep

Barrel Proof Blanton's here! Barrel 70 - 131.8 proof, dumped the same day as the barrel bottled in this pic. cool.gifwoohoo.gifcool.gif

post-207-14489812169812_thumb.jpg

I visited my sister in Chicago over Christmas and was able to do a little shopping after Christmas. At the Schaumburg Binny's, I was able to finally buy some Rittenhouse Rye, which is a fine whiskey.

I also found that they have Eagle Rare 101 in the 375ml package for real cheap - $7.99 per bottle, with a $9 discount on a case of 24. I decided to go for a case to put that lustful urge to rest - the last place I saw any ER101 in any quantity was in Maryland, and I don't think I'll get down there soon enough to satisfy my thirst. Yay!! Any folks near Chicago (or that can receive liquor shipments) should take note - Binnys has some ER101 in 375ml travelers and they're clearing it out - stock up now.

We then went on a mini dusty bottle hunt in the nearby city of Elgin and we finally found some amusing stuff, namely some Old Hickory bourbon in the original boxes for $10 a bottle. The glass says that it was bottled in 1965 and it is advertised as a 10 YO whiskey, making it distilled in 1955 - sorta scary!

Once I got it home and tasted it, it tastes nothing like a bourbon, but instead like a Pennsylvania style rye whiskey, very much like the Rittenhouse, but with more of an alcohol taste. The whiskey isn't very subtle and it's pretty rough for 86 proof, but still, I do enjoy it.

Sort of an odd coincidence that I found Rittenhouse and Old Hickory in the same day, several decades apart, but very close in terms of flavor profile.

I'll try to post some photos of the Old Hickory bottle and box - it's a real hoot! Day-glo pink with some odd Phoenix-like bird on the package!

Happy holidays!

Whilst I didn't get any bourbon as a gift this holiday season, I did receive a nice 'hand down' from my parents. They've just moved into their new home on the Gold Coast (Surfers Paradise) and are culling a lot of their posessions....

Anyway, they didn't have room for these....

post-563-1448981219899_thumb.jpg

Oh, and my appologies for the image - I'm still trying to come to grip with the other Christmas present - a new Canon Digital Rebel XT tongue.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Edit: actually, as soon as I finish paying the Credit Card off for the portion of the camera cost I had to put forward, I plan on ordering me one of them nice Hirch 16yo bottles that are available in Australia.

It'll be a belated Xmas present to myself yum.gifwink.gif

20 drinks? Is that a five gallon bottle? smilielol.gif

Seriously though, that is a label I haven't seen before and the drover leaning on it seems to be enjoying life a bit more than ol Jack. Jack statues always seem to have the "just pumped the neighbor's cat" look on his face. (quoted from Clint Eastwood as Gunny Tom Highway in Heartbreak Ridge of course).

Is that an Australian bottle, by any chance? The 37.0% ABV wouldn't qualify as bourbon here, and I recall that Australia has a "standard drink" based on alcohol content.

Is that an Australian bottle, by any chance? The 37.0% ABV wouldn't qualify as bourbon here, and I recall that Australia has a "standard drink" based on alcohol content.

Yep, that's an Aussie bottle.....

We get away with calling it a 'bourbon' because it is shipped in barrels and bottled here. There are several bourbons on our market that are 37% even though US law states it must be 40% to be a bourbon (if my memory is correct) All are bottled here as well.

I'm pretty sure the Aussie standard drink (for bourbon) is based on a 30ml serve at 37% ABV.

Man, they pour some small drinks in your part of the world! That is 700 ml of 74 proof whiskey and the label claims it is "20 standard drinks". So, that is 35 ml per "standard" pour.

In the US, one drink standard is 50 ml and another is 1.5 oz, which is slightly less (about 1/10 oz less). So, we get 15 or 16 standard drinks from a 750 ml bottle of 80-proof or higher whiskey. Bigger bottle, stronger content, fewer drinks.

I guess we are just a bunch of drunks, here! drinking.gificon_redface.gifbigeyes.gif

Tim

That proof is probably calculated in the British Proof System...

100 is 57% ABV or 114 proof in American system grin.gifgrin.gif

Bettye Jo

Personally, I say that a bottle of Aussie Beam has 2 nights worth of drinking in it when I feel like mixing my bourbon with coke and lots of ice. (Great for the current hot spell we are having hot.gif)

I didn't actually get any bottles of whiskey for Christmas, but I did buy myself some pre-Christmas presents recently: bottles of the new Saz and ER17, thanks to CrispyCritter for clueing me in regarding a Binny's store that still had them.

For me it was a Van Winkle Christmas. I got a bottle of Van Winkle "Lot B" and a bottle of Van Winkle 15/107. Both are VERY good. Both from my enabl... ah, I mean wife. smile.gif

Jay

I received the Gentlemen Jack gift set in a gift exchange. I wish my parents would have been more specific when they told the person I like Whiskey. Luckily though I bought myself 2 christmas presents. The new Saz and William Weller. Two very nice presents indeed.

For the locals, the spirits guy at Binny's thought they might get more of the Antique collection in around Whisky Fest.

my friend said she got me a couple of eagle rare 17 year olds and you can imagine my anxiety on christmas when i saw her. Well that didnt last long as she presented me a cologne instead. so now ill guess ill smell good instead of feel good Demonstration.gif

Better than getting the empty bottles....

Haw! That actually happened to a guy I know. Some friends went to Ireland, and one friend couldn't make the trip but asked that they get him a bottle of Redbreast Irish whiskey. His friends dutifully bought him a bottle of Redbreast, but while waiting at the airport for the flight home they decided to have a little nip... and another... drinking.gif and offer some to those fine fellows they met in the boarding area... icon_pidu.gif

When they got back, at the welcome-back-lets-see-the-trip-pictures dinner party he was presented with the empty bottle and some not-very-heartfelt apologies. Everybody except him thought it made a hilarious story. smilielol.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.