I Despair

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I despair for my nation. Exhibit: "Vodkas outsell every other spirit combined." Stephen Cunningham, Nightclub and Bar Magazine, January 2006.

Don't Despair, Enjoy.

Our preferred spirit choice is not for everyone.

That's one of the reasons I like it.

(The Whole "Road Less Travelled" thing)

toast.gif

If whiskey were to suddenly outsell vodka, can you even begin to imagine the kind of supply problem we'd be in right now?

Of course, if it had been selling that well all along, we might have a few more distilleries producing some products we'd all be chasing after.

If whiskey were to suddenly outsell vodka, can you even begin to imagine the kind of supply problem we'd be in right now?..

That cinches it -- I'm stocking up! smilielol.gif

Yeah, my biggest issue is that whilst we do get some fantastic bourbons Downunder, some of the best bourbon on offer from the bourbon world will probably never make it to us cry.gif

I despair for my nation. Exhibit: "Vodkas outsell every other spirit combined." Stephen Cunningham, Nightclub and Bar Magazine, January 2006.

This reminds me of a time about two years ago when I visited a brew pub in St. Louis. I went inside and sat at the bar and had a couple of their beers they brewed...an IPA and a stout. They were absolutely great...rich, full of taste, just awesome beer. As I sat there drinking them, five or six guys came up to the bar over the course of 15 minutes or so and ordered Bud Lights. I asked the bartender why all these people were ordering Bud Light. He shook his head and said it was their best selling beer.

Don't Despair, Enjoy.

Our preferred spirit choice is not for everyone.

That's one of the reasons I like it.

(The Whole "Road Less Travelled" thing)

toast.gif

I raise a glass to that!

Consider if you will the relatively recent “birth†of bourbon, now I am may be completely wrong here and am going strictly off memory so if I am feel free to correct me, but I believe bourbon’s origins can be traced back to the late 1700s sometime? Vodka and scotch for that matter can both be traced back to the 1400s. Again I am strictly going off what I can recall in my studies, which by the way should be on business law, econ and philosophy, but I digress. I sincerely think, as others have mentioned here, we should ENJOY that this chosen spirit of ours is currently less popular than vodka (and scotch). I mean lets be honest it’s incredibly doubtful that anything will ever overtake vodka’s popularity when you consider that probably the world’s favorite cocktail is made with vodka, or gin I guess though I’ve never had a gin martini. Is that even considered a martini? Heck I ain’t even sure anymore!

I think we will see an increase in the popularity of bourbon soon, most likely we are already seeing it. And I would not be surprised if, as everything American it becomes the most popular spirit, sans vodka, sometime ‘soon’ – maybe not our lifetime though. After all it was just a year or two ago that we saw Bill Murray nominated for an award for a movie he stared in where his job was to market a whisk(e)y in JAPAN. Yes I know it was not bourbon but still how long before the Japanese who are often fond of American products take up bourbon? “Whisky, whether domestic or imported, is a very popular drink among Japanese consumers, perhaps even more popular than Sake.â€

Consider also the price aspect, a good bourbon can be for a relatively low price, under $20 I think we’d all agree there are some very good bourbons! And yes you can get a pretty good vodka for that, you don’t drink it the same way - have you ever tried a scotch for less than $20? I have. puke.gif

Excuse my blind usflag.gif American pride here for a moment: 893drillsergeant-thumb.gif Enjoy it now, sit back, hold on and watch as us Americans prove yet again, we are the best at whatever we set out to do!

usflag.gifusflag.gifusflag.gifusflag.gif

Hi Christian,

Believe me, the Japanese already know about bourbon. Indeed, the yen is one of the driving forces behind the premium bourbon market. I can get things here that are hard to come by in the States. You guys back home can get stuff I can't, so don't feel too left out and you pay less, too. Europe is a big growth market as well.

As for Scotch being an older tradition than bourbon, well, yes and no. IMHO. Certainly, whisky has been distilled in Scotland for longer. But, I think, that bourbon, from the late 1700s or at least from the mid 1800s, at least the good stuff, would be recognizable as bourbon. I doubt that scotch from that time would be seen as a premium malt whisky. In fact, not so long ago it was infused with herbs and was rarely aged. (If I had a time machine I would very much like to try Scotch whisky from that time...) In a very real way, single malt scotch is a very recent phenomenon. Malt whisky was something to be used as an ingredient in blends, not a revered and expensive spirit. Of course, there was a very small market for single malt scotch whisky in Scotland before the 1960s. But it certainly wasn't widely available abroad.

This is all over simplified. But bourbon is by no means a rank newcomer to the world of spirits.

As for martinis, gin vs. vodka, are you sure you haven't got it backwards? I could be wrong, but I think the gin martini is the traditional drink. There is an interesting thread on favorite martini recipes in this thread. I look forward to seeing yours.

Ed

Yes, gin is the traditional spirit for the martini. I don't even consider a vodka "martini" to be a martini. banghead.gif

Tim

Yes, gin is the traditional spirit for the martini. I don't even consider a vodka "martini" to be a martini. banghead.gif

Tim

This is very strange to me as I have never received Gin when I order a martini (not that I order one too often, usually it's my company), the bar keep usually replies with "is there any particular vodka you'd like?" Please excuse my extreme ignorance in this issue - maybe without even realizing it I say a vodka martini, or the company I am with says it? Strange, now I want to try a gin martini, doubt I'll like it though as I am not fond of gin... Sorry again.

So is there any name for the non martini vodka martini?

No need to apologize to a bunch of bourbon drinkers on the subject of vodka martinis. laugh.gif

No need to switch to gin based martinis, either. Try one and see if you like it, by all means, then drink what you like. I have had just one martini in my life, which I made myself after reading the martini thread. I think I will make one tonight.

Ed

I was at a party once where the hosts had hired a bartender to run a martini bar. They produced a staggering array of drinks in a rainbow of colors... When I asked for a martini, I was asked, "What kind?" When I explained that I wanted a traditional gin martini, I was informed that they didn't have any gin. rolleyes.gif At least they had vermouth.

Nowadays, I think "martini" means "mixed drink served in one of those inverted-cone glasses". I think we should make up a recipe for a "bourbon martini".

"Anything served Up" is a martini these days.

In this months Wine Spectator there is a Bailey's add pushing the Bailey's Martini.

Recipe: Shake Baileys with ice and serve in a martini glass.

Its not unusual to see Lobster or Shrimp Martinis on menus.

The word Martini is hotter than "With Chlorophyll" was in the 60's.

Ed

"Anything served Up" is a martini these days.

In this months Wine Spectator there is a Bailey's add pushing the Bailey's Martini.

Recipe: Shake Baileys with ice and serve in a martini glass.

Works for me:

<u>BOURBON MARTINI</u>

Shake bourbon with ice.

Serve in a martini glass, garnished with maraschino cherries and a twist.

tongue.gif

To make it more complicated and thus more hoity-toity (the ultimate measure of success of any nouveau martini, besides having an inoffensive, easy-to-slurp flavor), I suppose one could mandate a specific blend of whiskies, i.e.,

2 shots Weller 12yo

1 shot Wild Turkey Rye

dash of Lot 40

Shake with ice; etc.

Maybe some of our resident blending enthusiasts can suggest some combinations.

Personally, I consider a martini to be three or four parts gin to one part dry vermouth, garnished with one or more olives. However, in reality the baseline martini to most Americans, on both sides of the bar, is vodka with some tiny amount of vermouth. Then came the -tini craze, where just about anything stirred or shaken with ice and served up in a martini glass could be called a martini. You might say gin is "old school" and vodka is "new school," but I can't say one is right and the other wrong. When to so many people, martini means vodka, you just can't say it's "wrong."

I think we should make up a recipe for a "bourbon martini".

Um, I think it's called a Manhattan.

The Bourbon Martini:

pour 2 shots good bourbon

pour 1 shot of anything else in another glass

throw out the contents of the second glass

drink the bourbon

;-)

yes, I know it is an old line redone -- but fitting

Um, I think it's called a Manhattan.

No, because Manhattans are not traditionally served in those hip inverted-cone glasses! Everyone knows that the identifying characteristic of a martini is being served in one of those glasses.

Conceptually and based on the ingredients, I agree that a Manhattan could be called a bourbon martini, and of course you COULD serve one in a martini glass. But look at it this way: the lack of an established "bourbon martini" provides an opportunity to come up with a new bourbon-based cocktail.

No, because Manhattans are not traditionally served in those hip inverted-cone glasses! Everyone knows that the identifying characteristic of a martini is being served in one of those glasses.

Conceptually and based on the ingredients, I agree that a Manhattan could be called a bourbon martini, and of course you COULD serve one in a martini glass. But look at it this way: the lack of an established "bourbon martini" provides an opportunity to come up with a new bourbon-based cocktail.

Then what do you put a straight up Manhattan in if not a martini glass???

Joe

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.