I Despair

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

No, because Manhattans are not traditionally served in those hip inverted-cone glasses! Everyone knows that the identifying characteristic of a martini is being served in one of those glasses.

Conceptually and based on the ingredients, I agree that a Manhattan could be called a bourbon martini, and of course you COULD serve one in a martini glass. But look at it this way: the lack of an established "bourbon martini" provides an opportunity to come up with a new bourbon-based cocktail.

Have you ordered a Manhattan in a bar recently? Most places, at least out here in California, serve them straight up in a martini glass.

Have you ordered a Manhattan in a bar recently? Most places, at least out here in California, serve them straight up in a martini glass.

Actually, no. My mistake then.

IIRC there was once a cocktail glass that was shaped kinda like a martini glass, but with shorter, thicker stem and more upright sides that had an oldly angled curve into the stem. I vaguely remember seeing them in older bars, but think they have since disappeared. I'll see if I can find a picture, Drinks that were served up were commonly served up(sours, manhattens, etc) were commonly served in these. I'm not sure if it was traditional, but it seems more likely than a martini glass.

I don't think that this is just a California thing, or recent, or a fad. I learned to make Manhattans recently (like in the late 90's) from Regan and Regan's The Book of Bourbon (published in 1995, but which I note on the flyleaf that I bought in Bardstown on June 8, 1999).

They specify serving it up in a cocktail glass, and have a color illustration with an unusual and very elegant cocktail glass that is like the flared bell of a trumpet, but more shallow. If do a google search for "manhattan cocktail recipe" you will find that most specify serving them up.

R&R also specify a sweeter Manhattan than some recipes - in their Bourbon Companion (1998) they say two parts whiskey to one part sweet vermouth although in the earlier book, they say 2-1/2 whiskey to 1/2 - 1-1/2 vermouth, depending on your taste. I like the 2:1 ratio.

In many bars, you often get them made like a martini, with hardly any vermouth and often without bitters, then served on rocks.

Speaking of bitters, though I made some orange bitters from the recipe in the Regans' book (didn't turn out that well) and now have a bottle I of their orange bitters from Sazerac, I prefer Angostura.

And I agree with the Regans on the necessity of bitters. They write, "Without any bitters at all, a Manhattan is no more than a dexent mixture; with them, it is a dazzling cocktail that will bring a sparkle to the eyes and put a slick step back into a pair of tired dancing feet."

I found out too late from my mother that my father, who died in 1993, had been fond of Manhattans in his younger days (he was mostly a highball drinker by the time I remember). How I wish I had had a chance to share a few with him. Fortunately, I introduced my son to them, and we get that chance occasionally, although he lives nearly 2000 miles away.

Jeff

The first Manhattan I ever had on the rocks was one graciously handed to me by Jeff, the outgoing BOTY-05, at the gazebo. It was really well made, but I can't say it didn't freak me out to see those foreign objects floating in my drink. Flashbacks to bad acting in the Poseidon Adventure and everything. Was a Manhattan traditionally served on the rocks?

I agree with Regan that bitters makes it a Manhattan as opposed to cold bourbon. I've tried his orange bitters (from BT gift shop), but what I really like is the Fee Brothers Angostura and Orange bitters. I use a couple shakes of each. Their site is at:

http://www.feebrothers.com/Product.asp?Category=5

A previous thread about bitters is here:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4134

Roger - Shaken, not Stirred - Hodges

I'm glad you liked the Manhattan Roger, and I agree that a good one wouldn't be served on the rocks, but then I made it, huh:D IIRC we were sans shaker/strainer at the table and, I'm almost ashamed to admit it, Leslie will put ice in hers to keep it extra cold:eek:, so I'm used to making them that way

Why Jeff,

Every mixed drink you've ever made for me has been excelllent.

Perhaps mixology should be one of the side duties for the new reigning BOTY. That and bringing a self-supporting apron for clean-up time. ;)

I recently received a pair of "Manhattan glasses" from one of the distilleries and they are, in fact, martini glasses, though slightly small by modern martini glass standards.

I prefer Manhattans on-the-rocks.

I also prefer Manhattans on the rocks. My favorite Manhattan is a classic 2 to 1 mix of Canadian Whiskey and Sweet Vermouth, a dash of Angostura bitters and a half teaspoon of maraschino cherry juice. MMMM MMMM GOOD.

Joe :D

I recently received a pair of "Manhattan glasses" from one of the distilleries and they are, in fact, martini glasses, though slightly small by modern martini glass standards.

I prefer Manhattans on-the-rocks.

I was always under the understanding that what people call martini glasses are in reality called cocktail glasses by the industry. Years of martini's going in them changed their designation, first with the public and then the bartenders.

See:

http://www.drinknation.com/glasses/Cocktail-glass

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.