Old Rip Van Winkle 15 year - available anywhere?

Virus_Of_Life
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Does anyone know of or have access to any ORVW 15yo bourbon? Not Pappy 15 mind you, just ORVW 15.

I have been reading so much about this that I am going to go nuts if I do not somehow acquire a bottle! If anyone out there knows of a store or online seller please let me know. I’d gladly pay shipping and “kick in a little extra†if someone knows of a store near them with some still available. Or would definitely be open to swapping something that may be readily available to me but not someone else…

The only that I have located was online at royalmilewhiskies.com which is in ENGLAND and they want over $80 plus shipping, I’d rather not go that route if I do not have to.

This stuff is proving far more difficult to find that Pappy 23!

Sorry for opening a new thread I just wanted to make sure this was seen. Thank you for any help you can offer on this issue!

I noticed it had lingered in a couple of stores in Atlanta (5-6 bottles), then quickly disappeared a few months ago. Looks like someone went on a hoarding spree. Wasn't me. I still have one bottle, but that's it.

Good luck.

Bob

Does anyone know of or have access to any ORVW 15yo bourbon? Not Pappy 15 mind you, just ORVW 15.

The only that I have located was online at royalmilewhiskies.com which is in ENGLAND and they want over $80 plus shipping, I’d rather not go that route if I do not have to.

Fotunately, I found enough in my locale to keep me temporarily satisfied. As far as I know at present, there is none left around here. However, anywhere & anytime I come across it, I'm taking it home as long as it is not reaching too far above $50. Once a bottle of that age begins to push into the mid or upper $50s, I just dismiss it and reach for another bottle of Stagg if I must have something. Again, I am fortunate that Stagg is fairly plentiful around here as well. Hopefully, when the day arrives where neither can be found any longer, I will have enough bunkered to not worry about it for my remaining years.

I was lucky enough to find a bottle on a shelf in Louisville. It was the last one and the small store did not have any others. This is only the 2nd bottle of ORVW 15 that I have found in about 6 months. I bet there is some still out there, just off of the beaten path. This little store was one I found while out driving around and is really close to other larger stores I shop at.

Keep turning over stones and hopefully you will find some. If I see extra, I will PM you.

JD

Old Rip Van Winkle 15 year old 107 proof, is still listed as available on the Idaho State Liquor Dispensary. The price listed is $39.52 and for Christmas I found it in Boise.

http://liquor.idaho.gov/PRICEBOOK.pdf

Don't give up, dont ever give up!

For that price it is amazing there'd be any left! Did you buy all you found or was there some left? I know it'll sound silly but next time I am in Oregon, which could be sooner than later, I could make a very long road trip!

Recently, I asked a local retailer with whom I have done a good volume of business to see if he could procure some ORVW 15yo for me. Initially, he was optimistic and thought it was very possible to get a case or two within 30-45 days. However, I just got a call this morning and the retailer is unable to get any at all now or in the future......it be all gone. Further, he said the distributor told him that the Pappy 15 will not be available again for about a year. Whether that is something being experienced in other parts of my state as well as in other states, I do not know. Apparently, the Pappy we have around here on the shelf is all there will be for a while. Although I do have a bottle of Pappy 15 stored away, I might pick up another here real soon in preparation for the coming drought.

Retailer here told me that any/all of the Van Winkles would be scarce in GA for the foreseeable future. Told me to buy any that I could find. He had none. He claims that there is some dispute with the distributor.

I know where there are two bottles of Pappy 23 but can't see dropping the $300 per bottle right now.

From my recent travels around these parts, we seem to have about a 3:1 ratio of Pappy 20 v. Pappy 15 here in this corner of West TN where I reside. That would be expected as the 20 carries a price tag of almost double the 15. In fact, there are several stores around here who carry PVW that have several bottles of the 20 and no 15.....I better grab one tomorrow while it is on my mind!

I was just in Chicago.

Call Binny's-773-935-9400

They had some 15-year on the shelf.

Julian

Thanks Julian. Unfortunately, here in the Volunteer State we cannot buy from Binny's or anywhere else outside the state and use the mails/shipping agents/etc., to bring spirited refreshments into our possession from outside the state. Tim is very knowledgeable in this respect and I trust his word on the subject. However, that is probably a good thing for me. If I could buy from Binny's.....right now I might be living in a box down by the RR tracks!

Anyhow, the coming shortage is not a problem at present. Well, at least for me it is not. Newcomers or procrastinators are the ones who will have a problem down the line somewhere.

Thanks again for the info. I am sure plenty of others on here will be able to take advantage of the knowledge.

Wayne

Are you saying there is going to be a shortage of Pappy 15 Julian?????

I did not mean to start something that may become nothing more than rumor. Also, the word I got was from one retailer thru one distributor and only in my local area. Pappy 15 may be plentiful thru Binny's or in many areas of the country. Also, here where I live JD & JB are the preferred favorites. Not many retailers around here stock VW and other high shelf products......probably due to lower demand than in other areas of the country.

I apologize - my mistake in using the word "shortage"......I don't want this to get blown out of proportion - SORRY!

Also, to clarify even further, Julian never used the "S" word at all.

I was just in Chicago.

Call Binny's-773-935-9400

They had some 15-year on the shelf.

Julian

Apparently you were referring to Pappy 15 and NOT ORVW 15, I called immediately and they have no ORVW. Really got me excited there for a minute!

Thanks for the heads up though.

Apparently you were referring to Pappy 15 and NOT ORVW 15, I called immediately and they have no ORVW. Really got me excited there for a minute!

Thanks for the heads up though.

Correct - Julian was referring to the Pappy 15. I am afraid the ORVW 15-107 is just about dried up around the country from all I have heard here. There will be a few here & there but I would be surprised if someone found a good size cache of it anywhere. Keep looking though. I know I am and something unexpected & even better will turn up most of the time.

I'm telling you guys, the whiskey in the 15-year Pappy is the same as the ORVW 15-year.So why drive yourselves nuts looking for these old botles!

However the 15-year is very limited. We only have about 500 cases to sell worldwide each year.

Julian

I'm telling you guys, the whiskey in the 15-year Pappy is the same as the ORVW 15-year.So why drive yourselves nuts looking for these old botles!

However the 15-year is very limited. We only have about 500 cases to sell worldwide each year.

Julian

Hi Julian, I think people are still remembering the first bottling of Pappy 15 yr, of which I still have (part) of a bottle... Call us crazy, but I agree that the flavor profile was not the same as the ORVW 15 yr old.

I seem to remember you saying that the first batch of Pappy 15 was selected from older stock, and had more of a wood-heavy profile than some of the preceding ORVW or following Pappy 15 yr bottlings? It would have been a while ago; I could be making this up, and I'm too lazy to search the boards, so feel free to tell me I'm crazy...

Julian

I could have swore I read here somewhere that the ORVW was different and "better" that's the only reason I was looking specifically for some of the ORVW 15. Sorry to drive you crazy with it Julian and greatly appreciate your input. If it is the same, why change the name? Maybe what I read was that the taste profile was different than previous ORVW?

This does explain why I have come across more 20 year than 15 year Pappy though...

Julian

Julian, based on this information, would it be safe to assume that Burwood Cellars in Australia won't be getting any stocks in for some time?

Julian

Doesn't seem the same to me. Don't get me wrong, the Pappy is good but it is different.

The barrels are the same as before. Sometimes we bottle the 15-year when it is closer to 16 years old. At this age, I believe the whiskey is not as good as it is when it is right on 15-years old. This was the case last year when the 15-year Pappy was bottled. So flavor changes may be there depending upon when we bottle.

And sorry to say, none in AUS.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.