Old Rip Van Winkle 15 year - available anywhere?

Virus_Of_Life
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The barrels are the same as before. Sometimes we bottle the 15-year when it is closer to 16 years old. At this age, I believe the whiskey is not as good as it is when it is right on 15-years old. This was the case last year when the 15-year Pappy was bottled. So flavor changes may be there depending upon when we bottle.

And sorry to say, none in AUS.

It's still good, just not as good as the Old Rip Van Winkle 107 15 yr. I'm sorry but sometimes in life you have to be honest, and your talking about what was my hands down favorite bourbon.

And sorry to say, none in AUS.

I'm sure glad I bought that 2nd bottle - it means I've still got 1 and 2/3rd of them left :bowdown:

I'll be rationing them now ;)

I've got several put away in the bunker. After considering this thread, I probably will not open another for a while. I am hoping to corner some more in the next few weeks - but not holding my breath.

does anyone have a picture or link handy of the ORVW 15/107?

this way if i see it, i can pick it up. if i find a bulk amount i'll post my results here.

does anyone have a picture or link handy of the ORVW 15/107?

this way if i see it, i can pick it up. if i find a bulk amount i'll post my results here.

How's this...

post-570-14489812249452_thumb.jpg

Here is a photo of a bottle I purchased in Bosie, Idaho 12/05. Like I have been telling you all they have more on the shelf.

Don't give up, don't ever give up!

Mike

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2329&stc=1&d=1140061719

Yes I remember you saying that, any chance you could get me the store phone number? I doubt they ship, store run stores never do, do they? Feel free to PM me anymore specifics about the store. About the only way I'd get there, which is quite reasonably possible really, is if I arrange a long lay over in Boise via Alaska Airlines on my next trip to Portland or Eugene... I need to look into this :coffeedrinker:

Thanks!

Had a hunch tonite and decided to act on it. This has happened to me before - usually resulting in success, so I decided to try it again. I went back to the last place I found ORVW 15 to see what had filled the void on the shelf where I removed the last 2 bottles about a month ago. I was happily surprised to find one more bottle of same! The store owner said "yea, I found one more bottle.....guess I never put it on the shelf for lack of space". He then commented that this was definitely the last one in the house and jokingly added that he should charge me $53.99 instead of $43.99. I did not say it....but, I would have gladly paid $10 more to get it.

This same thing happened to me a couple of months back when I cleaned the shelf of another store in town of 3 dusty WT 12s. I came back a week later and found 1 more that had been left in the back for lack of space on the shelf.

Talk about lightning striking twice! What a stroke of luck at the end of a hapless day at work! So, I now am the proud owner of 1 more ORVW 15 for the bunker.

I went back to the last place I found ORVW 15 to see what had filled the void on the shelf where I removed the last 2 bottles about a month ago. I was happily surprised to find one more bottle of same!

This same thing happened to me a couple of months back when I cleaned the shelf of another store in town of 3 dusty WT 12s. I came back a week later and found 1 more that had been left in the back for lack of space on the shelf.

Stop it already! You are killing me with this talk of WT 12 and ORVW 15s!!!! :smiley_acbt:

I think I'll be securing one ORVW 15 soon maybe more later on, but do not envision myself ever getting the WT 12. I will never give up though as I have 2 Tributes on the way I now have visions of building the collection to display somewhere, where I am not entirely sure but I'll find a place, if i get them all you can bet on it!

Stop it already! You are killing me with this talk of WT 12 and ORVW 15s!!!! :smiley_acbt:

I think I'll be securing one ORVW 15 soon maybe more later on, but do not envision myself ever getting the WT 12. I will never give up though as I have 2 Tributes on the way I now have visions of building the collection to display somewhere, where I am not entirely sure but I'll find a place, if i get them all you can bet on it!

Sorry Christian....I'll stop! What I cannot decide is which is better. I think ORVW 15 gets the votes here on the Forum but I tell ya, this WT 12 is some real special stuff!

OK, OK....I'll quit yacking about it!!!

:slappin:

Sorry Christian....I'll stop! What I cannot decide is which is better. I think ORVW 15 gets the votes here on the Forum but I tell ya, this WT 12 is some real special stuff!

OK, OK....I'll quit yacking about it!!!

It is all good, I am sure one day I will at least get to try the WT 12, if not find my own dusty bottle on a shelf somewhere...

But after acquiring the more expensive item of the WT collection (Tribute) I somehow have an urge to collect them all to put on display, or at least the most common of the "recent" releases, i.e. WT KS, WT RB (Batch No WT-03RB 54.1% VOL that Gillman spoke of...) WT RR 101/90, WT Rye, WT 101, WT Tribute, WT 12 & 8 and then of course if I could get the export only Legend I believe it is as well as any others that would be great. It'd all make for one really cool display (which I am sure someone on this page has already done), until I emptied them all that is! :slappin:

I suppose if i have to I'll have a friend get me the 8, 12 and Freedom at a duty free... Although I'd rather find the 8 and 12 in the US somewhere - I like the split label...

And wasn't there a Legend release? Gosh! There are a herd of those turkeys! Maybe an entire collection isn't practical?...

:slappin:

and then of course if I could get the export only Legend I believe it is as well as any others that would be great. It'd all make for one really cool display (which I am sure someone on this page has already done), until I emptied them all that is! :slappin:

I suppose if i have to I'll have a friend get me the 8, 12 and Freedom at a duty free... Although I'd rather find the 8 and 12 in the US somewhere - I like the split label...

And wasn't there a Legend release? Gosh! There are a herd of those turkeys! Maybe an entire collection isn't practical?...

Christian,

I have both the different versions of WT Kentucky legend. I be glad to trade away any of them for GTS-2002 or perhaps even some other rare whiskey. Give me a PM if you are interested.

Leif Nordmark

Oops, I meant FREEDOM, I remember seeing that somewhere.... Maybe too many to collect!

Leif, unfortunately I arrived a little late to the dance and never had GTS 2002, so I like you, would like to have some of that as well...

Finally I found an ORVW 15 :woohoo: . From looking at this place's website I thought I had hit the jackpot, I will not go into everything they list but let's just say they didn't have any of it other than ONE lone Rip 15 year. Like someone else said, never give up, and I didn't.

They did also have some Peter Jake's Private Keep for a pretty good price, $25 I think it was, but with everything else I am tasting lately I decided to leave those alone for now...

I hate when one person buys the entire lot of one bottle from a store. I guess there are two schools of thought on that. I've done it before but when it happens to me I get so pissed. Anyway if your lucky enogh to read a post before everyone else and get to that store first, more power to you.

I hate when one person buys the entire lot of one bottle from a store. I guess there are two schools of thought on that. I've done it before but when it happens to me I get so pissed. Anyway if your lucky enogh to read a post before everyone else and get to that store first, more power to you.

Joe, I'm seldom able to do the same, though on occasion I've tried. Since, in most cases, it's a bottling that is some years old, the way I look at it is that all the other potential buyers have had all that time to beat me to it. In other words, they've been rejecting it, so it shouldn't be a big deal if I don't leave any.

On the other hand, I does rile me that new bottlings like Stagg seems to disappear from shelves only to wind up on eBay the day after they're issued. And, have you noticed the prices to all of us have taken a several-dollars jump since that's been happening? Just two years ago, I could buy Stagg near $40 a bottle, after a case discount for a 3-pack. Now, with production numbers much higher, only one of my regular stores will discount it, and never from a price under $50 -- $53 to $55 is more usual.

I agree with you about the bottle's just sitting and nobody buying them so you might as well give them a home. On the other hand, I kinda thought that on this site when we are all directed to a store that has something we all want to get we should leave some for everbody else to score. That being said this is America where we have the right to buy every last bottle of what we want.

A quick question for everyone then, When someone here post's a store that has in stock something we all want, is it every man for himself or do we keep some on the shelf for our fellow SB.com'ers??? What does everyone think??

I agree with you about the bottle's just sitting and nobody buying them so you might as well give them a home. On the other hand, I kinda thought that on this site when we are all directed to a store that has something we all want to get we should leave some for everbody else to score. That being said this is America where we have the right to buy every last bottle of what we want.

A quick question for everyone then, When someone here post's a store that has in stock something we all want, is it every man for himself or do we keep some on the shelf for our fellow SB.com'ers??? What does everyone think??

Not long ago I found a shelf with a row of Evan Williams Single Barrel 1986 (very first bottling :grin: ) at a road side honky tonk near Calvary Kentucky....Twenty one dollars each. Drove down that country road and found another "off the beaten path" honky tonk and found one more :grin:

I bought every one of them. I sold one on ebay just to see what I could get for it. I traded for one...then, gave the rest away to my friends :grin:

:grin: :grin: Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh Yeahhhhhhhhhhh :grin: :grin:

...A quick question for everyone then, When someone here post's a store that has in stock something we all want, is it every man for himself or do we keep some on the shelf for our fellow SB.com'ers??? What does everyone think??

Though I've certainly found fellow members here courteous and helpful, if there's a 'rule', I guess I've never learned it -- and I've been here for several years. That said, I've directed quite a number of other SB.com'ers to stores with desireable stock, generally by PM. To me, if it's posted publicly -- well, I'm part of the public. Of course, I'm also the only SB.com regular from my area, so it really isn't a practical problem for me.

Two ways I handle it, Joe (and other can chime in here, as desired):

• If I find a store with lots of 'goodies', I let folks know who might be interested -- usually by PM -- and they can send me money to grab items for them, which I then deliver at a later date by an appropriate method, or
  • I buy what I can, and carry it with me to the 'meets' in Bardstown as trade goods. I don't hoard anything -- but, that's not to say I don't put some backup bottles of certain items on my shelf.

Well, to defend myself (not that I think I have to) there were 5 bottles available and I only picked up four. Of the four one went to another SB'er so I only got 3 of the 5. I believe the information was posted on Wednesday and I when I picked them up no one else had yet contacted them on the others available so I don't really see the problem.

Now that I have tasted this, I will search even harder for more!!!

YUMMY! :bowdown:

To me, if it's posted publicly -- well, I'm part of the public. Of course, I'm also the only SB.com regular from my area, so it really isn't a practical problem for me.

As far as I know, I'm the only SB.com regular or irregular from my area as well and not a practical problem for me either. I have benefited from several tips & PMs from SB.com folks and I've been very appreciative. I have 'cleaned' the shelf on only a couple of occasions because it was out of my local area and I knew it would quite a while before I would be able to return. Most times, I don't have the resources to take the entire inventory of a certain bottle unless it consists of only 2 bottles or perhaps 3 if some incentives are thrown into the mix. Even then, I find myself having to come back in a few days in most instances to get the rest. I figure everyone else has had as much opportunity as me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.