80 Strong

gluce
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Any feedback on 80 Strong Bourbon?

Thanks!!!

I am not too far beyond being a novice in the 'serious' bourbon world, but I do not recall ever hearing of this one or seeing it anywhere. Where have you seen it? Where are you located? If you have one, send me a pic in a PM.

Google it and there is quite a bit of information, one article says it will rely heavily on internet marketing...interesting label, with a Pin-up Gal on it...made by Strong Spirits Inc.

$21.00 for an 80 proof bourbon that seems to be aimed at non-bourbon drinkers.

80 Strong's website : http://www.80strong.com/

Press Release from Feb 2006:

http://www.topix.net/content/cj/5663700175416208227

...She’s more than just another pretty face, and once you get your first taste of 80 Strong you’ll agree. The 80 proof, lower than most bourbons, makes it very smooth and tasty. Sensuous aromas of vanilla and hazelnut; lusty notes of caramel; hints of fruits and almonds; delicious neat, on ice or mixed. 80 Strong is a small-batch, premium authentic Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey, distilled, aged and bottled in Bardstown, KY.

“When I decided to make this I wanted to take some truly premium bourbon and get it into a hot new package,†says Michael Kanbar, owner and founder of Strong Spirits, Inc. the producer of 80 Strong. “I always was turned on by products that looked cool without being pretentious and that are without compromise in how they’re made, stuff like Burton Snowboards, Harley Davidson motorcycles and Fender Stratocasters. So I took that concept and applied it to making 80 Strong.â€....

The more I "get into" bourbon, the more I realize that 80 proof anything doesn't usually cut it. I don't usually even buy 80 proof bourbon anymore, very rairly anyway.

That label looks like it's aimed at young party animals that just want to mix it with soda or something. The girl kinda looks like a young Madonna.

...interesting label, with a Pin-up Gal on it...m]

Just what the Bourbon world needed. :rolleyes:

Hmm, I think I can give this one a wide berth and still manage to sleep soundly.

Come back, Thedford! All is forgiven.

I noticed the address, 1010 Withrow Court....

Jim Beam has warehouses on Withrow Court. One of them burned not long ago. It's near Jedico Hall. Jedico Hall, is where they hold the "Gala" every year during the Kentucky Bourbon Festival.

I don't know the "exact address" of those warehouses but they are located on that road :grin:

Bettye Jo

Even if it wasn't 80 proof, the label and the "kick ass" attitude have already insured I'd never even consider ordering this.

Strong is just another bulk bourbon packager and bottler, obviously not a distillery. The guy behind it is Michael Kanbar, whose last big idea was a canned champagne called Floot. His uncle is Maurice Kanbar, founder of SKYY vodka.

Isn't 80 proof the lowest allowable legal proofing for a bourbon?

In other words - if it was 79 Strong - then it couldn't be called a bourbon?

Jim Beam has warehouses on Withrow Court. One of them burned not long ago. It's near Jedico Hall. Jedico Hall, is where they hold the "Gala" every year during the Kentucky Bourbon Festival.

I don't know the "exact address" of those warehouses but they are located on that road :grin:

Bettye Jo

So do you think that this may be watered down JB?

I just saw that stuff today. I'd never seen it before, so I examined the bottle. Nice label, with I believe a screw cap. LIke Brian, I never considered buying it because of the proof. It's from Bardstown - Heaven Hill or Bartons?

I picked up a bottle of Woodford Reserve instead.

Canned Champagne! Now I've heard it all. :)

Gary

Coppola cans their "Sophia" blanc de blancs, complete with a kindergarten style straw stuck to the side with glue.

Coppola cans their "Sophia" blanc de blancs, complete with a kindergarten style straw stuck to the side with glue.

And would you believe it's actually quite nice! Leslie buys them once and a while when she might want a glass without opening a whole bottle. Nothing like sipping sparkling wine through a straw :lol:

Jeff.....The Sophia in either can or bottle is quite drinkable. When we stay at Coppola's resorts in Central America, thats Val's favorite drink at the bar. The first time I saw it, I laughed, but they did pour it into a champagne flute for her. BTW, when you stay at his places, its Coppola wines ......or Coppola wines in the bar and dining room. Highly recommended if traveling to Belize or Guatemala.

Randy

Bettye Jo

Well...Well...all of us know that there's no "New Distillery" called 80 Strong...that's a assumed "gimme" :grin: Somtimes, I forget that alot of folks are new to this stuff.

Peter Pogue :grin: told me that 1010 Withrow Court is a place called Warehouse Support Center owned by Jeff Tapman...Many people store extra bottles there.

Guess I'm gonna havta drive down there to see what else in on that road...There's a barrel place on that road too :grin: Bardstown Barrels Inc. 1050 Withrow Court...

Bettye Jo

Max says HH didn't do it, but it could be HH whiskey bottled by Kulsveen, which is probably the most likely source.

Where is it being sold? I haven't seen it.

• 6 months later...

I saw this stuff last week at the Binny's at Belmont & Cumberland.

Has anyone actually tried it yet?

I note that rather than put up an actual web site, they set up a MySpace page as their brand's internet home. Very of-the-moment! Their manifesto:

One of the things that's really interesting about myspace and how the world is changing overall is that people, individuals, are able to get the word out about whatever they're doing without any kind of middle-man. We've all heard the stories about some garage band that makes a CD, puts up a myspace page and gets people turned-on to their music and they end up selling a whole mess of CDs and getting known and getting their music out there. The result is a happy band that can afford to make more music for the happy fans that dig their stuff (and who wouldn't want to be a rock star??). And they're able, because of the way the myspace community works, to do this independently, staying out of the reach of that whole corporate scene. We think thats awesome. 80 Strong was conceived to be an independent brand within an industry where gi-normous corporations are churning out the stuff we drink, packaging it to make it look genuine and home-grown and then putting billions of dollars into marketing to "us" meaning "us" as we are defined by some demographic study. That just blows my mind. We are all about "more power to the independents" because we are a truly independent brand and we like it that way. We're making something that's real and something that we believe in and that we think is pretty cool. And the way I see it, that's the spirit of what's going on at myspace and other sites like it that are getting people together for direct interaction in one big extended community. So, in case you care, that's why were on myspace and why we don't have a website. Come check us out, meet our friends, make some friends, be a friend, contribute and be part of the community.

I have to wonder about a marketing plan that will ultimately alienate customers if it's successful. They're aiming at people who don't drink bourbon now, but if they turn people on to bourbon, those very people will quickly realize that 80 Strong is overpriced and understrength. If there's something special about it to justify charging $20 a bottle, one would think they'd put it on the label somewhere. I suppose it's possible that it could be a fine bourbon, vatted from carefully selected honey barrels, but nothing I've seen in relation to it suggests that is the case.

I got a bottle of 80 Strong.

The best I can say about it is, nice label.

I did not finish it, I think maybe I have poured out the better part of 3 or 4 bottles of bourbon, and 80 Strong was one.

Whiskey Magazine just did a review. They gave it (if my memory is accurate) a 7.5. Comments were so-so and not overly complimentary.

Hidden

It's a Kulsveen bottling of Heaven Hill whiskey put out by a guy in New York whose last big idea was canned champagne.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.