Bourbon in the Movies

Isoflex

I was watching "The Hustler" the other night. During the scene where Fast Eddie (Paul Newman) is playing "Minnesota Fats" (Jackie Gleeson) they take a break and order for drinks. Fast Eddie requested J.T.S. Brown...a brand I had tried just recently - too weak for my liking but not terrible. I am wondering if there are other references to bourbons in the movies that may come to mind?

In the 1st Spiderman movie, Willi Dafoe, who ends up being the Gremlin, is shown drinking some Makers Mark!

Thomas

I do recall the Maker's in the Spiderman Movie, but was it the first movie or the second one or both?

I'm not sure if I'm remembering the right movie, but it was a major movie I saw in the past year or so, I'm thinking it may have been the latest Batman movie, where there was a bottle of Blanton's on a rich man's (Bruce Wayne's?) cocktail bar. Anyone remember what movie this was? Maybe it was Crash?

Edit - Found this on IMDb entry for Spiderman 2:

Director Trademark: [sam Raimi] [drink] the alcohol "Maker's Mark" appears in most of Raimi's movies

Aaahhhhh, thank you for asking! In one of my favorite movies of all time there is a classic all be it crude bourbon line, Leaving Las Vegas. Nicholas Cage's character says to Elizabeth Shue's character... I will not post it here due to the crudeness of it, but you can find it on imdb.com.

Also in Pulp Fiction when Uma Thurman's character is ordering "a $5 shake" John Travolta's character replies "That's a shake, that's milk and ice cream? You don't put BOURBON in it or nothing?" CLASSSSSSSIC!!!!

I know that the Makers Mark was in the 1st Spiderman movie for sure because William Dafoe was in it and he was the one drinking it. The 2nd Spiderman movie had that Octavious character that resembled an octopus and was played by another actor, not William Dafoe.

Thomas

You guys might also be interested in this thread.

Sorry Jim, should have known there'd already be a thread about it!

That post is two years old. I think Jim meant it as a tip on how to find even more info.

My contribution would be the stunning "Lonely are the brave" (1962), starring Kirk Douglas, Gena Rowlands and Walter Matthau.

There is a scene in a bar with Kirk Douglas down on his luck, ordering a full bottle of Old Charter. The lighting is a bit hazy and I do not possess the expertise to identify the bottling.

I'm not sure if I'm remembering the right movie, but it was a major movie I saw in the past year or so, I'm thinking it may have been the latest Batman movie, where there was a bottle of Blanton's on a rich man's (Bruce Wayne's?) cocktail bar. Anyone remember what movie this was? Maybe it was Crash?

There was a bottle of Blanton's on Christopher Plummer's bar in "The Inside Man." He was an obscenely rich/powerful bank owner so maybe this is the movie?

Oh yeah, just saw "The Matador" w/ Brosnan and Kinnear and there was a blatant placement for Maker's in the first few minutes. And like all good movies featuring bourbon it was there to establish the character's excesses :)

Two years old and still room for more posts rather than starting a redundant thread may be closer to our kind host's intended message, Lennart. Just another commercial announcement for our sponser, the search function.:lol:

Quite correct. Should have done a search, though most times it doesn't get me the info I want in this case it would have turned up not only the same thread name but the same reference to the Hustler - and written much better. Sorry to all for having made the thread.

How about "The Punisher"? I believe he (the punisher) drinks quite a few bottles of Wild Turkey in that movie.

Here's a really obscure one. In Under Siege 2, I think Steven Seagal makes an incendiary device out of a bottle of Old Taylor. Barely visible.

-Mike

Saw the movie "Payday" a month or so back. 1973 movie starring Rip Torn as a two-timing, hard-drinking, fighting country wester singer. Wild Turkey (usually straight out of the bottle) was his drink of choice in the car, in the studio, while fighting, in bed...

As I recollect on how the bourbons/whiskeys have been portrayed in the movies, I can't help but think that Cinema has probably done as much as anything to cause a great deal of the general publics negative opinions of our favorite drink over the years.

Wild Turkey (usually straight out of the bottle) was his drink of choice in the car, in the studio, while fighting, in bed...

Mystic River: just before Sean Penn's character kills another character, Kevin Bacon I believe it is, he and a couple other guys get him trashed on Wild Turkey.

Gotta love that Turkey!

I was watching "First Blood" (Stallone's 1st Rambo movie), again last night on TV. When the sheriff comes into the bar to apologize to Rambo's "mentor" he orders a shot of Wild Turkey.

Hidden

I am not an expert on it, because in 1961 I was 7 years old, but when the Hustler was made I'll bet J. T. S. Brown was quite the one, if Newman called for it by name.

Tom Hanks in Volunteers says "We have Johnny Walker, JIM BEAM and Jack Daniels....the gangs all here.

Tom Hanks in Volunteers says "We have Johnny Walker, JIM BEAM and Jack Daniels....the gangs all here.

Great. I haven't seen that movie in years. In that movie I recall Tom Hanks also has the best orgasm in Hollywood movie history with Meg Ryan's in When Harry met Sally coming a close second.

Ed

I saw Volunteers when I was in HS at the theatre. It is a stupid mindless 80s teen comedy and I love it! lol It is one of my favorite movies from that era. Hanks can also be seen taking a couple of pulls from a Jim Beam white bottle. The grimace he makes after the pull is telling.....:grin:

The "Father's Day" segment of Creepshow also features a bottle of Jim Beam white label that must be cursed (those who drink from it end up getting killed)...

The "Father's Day" segment of Creepshow also features a bottle of Jim Beam white label that must be cursed (those who drink from it end up getting killed)...

When in real life all you get is diarreah. :slappin:

Joe :usflag: