Bourbon in the Movies

Isoflex

Thought I saw a bottle of Hill & Hill on Three's Company. I know it's not a movie, but I figured that it's close. The episode when Jack and the girls are thinking of moving to a beach house. The bottle shows up in the kitchen when Larry and Mr. F are crying in their Bourbon.

In the John Milius film Red Dawn when the boys come down from the mountains to 'get some news' Ben Johnson's character gives them a bottle of JB white to help keep 'em warm.

In the John Milius film Red Dawn when the boys come down from the mountains to 'get some news' Ben Johnson's character gives them a bottle of JB white to help keep 'em warm.

I love Red Dawn.

The Russians take over the country, and it's up to the _high school football team_ to retake the U S of A. If I remember correctly, the Russkies diabolically used the NRA membership rolls to seize all the weapons that could have armed the citizen militias that the 2nd Amendment sought to enable.

Wolverines!

I love Red Dawn.

The Russians take over the country, and it's up to the _high school football team_ to retake the U S of A. If I remember correctly, the Russkies diabolically used the NRA membership rolls to seize all the weapons that could have armed the citizen militias that the 2nd Amendment sought to enable.

Wolverines!

Actually they used government records. Form 4473 must be filled out every time someone buys a firearm from a gun dealer (someone with a FFL) Federal firearm license. From Wikipedia:

The Form 4473 contains the name, address, driver's license or identification number, National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) background check transaction number, serial number and model of the firearm, and a short federal affidavit stating that the purchaser is eligible to purchase firearms under federal law. Lying on this form is a felony and can be punished by up to five years in prison in addition to fines, even if the transaction is simply denied by the NICS.

The dealer must keep the Form 4473 for twenty years and all records are subject to inspection by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. The dealer also records all information from the form 4473 into his bound-book. A dealer must keep this log the entire time he is in business and is required to surrender the log to the ATF upon retirement from the firearms business. The ATF is allowed to request a copy of the 4473 from the dealer during the course of a criminal investigation.

It was kind of amazing John Milius, who is a member of the Board of Directors of The National Rifle Association and an avid defender of the Second Amendment, managed to get that scene past the Hollywood PC censors. In fact its kind of amazing the movie got made at all. Its just too bad he didn't have the boys drinking something beter than Jim Beam White.

I bet if "bloody" Sam Peckinpah had produced the movie he would have had them drinking WT 101. And they probably wouldn't have had to look too far for a bottle to use as a prop.:grin:

In "The Guardian" starring Kevin Costner and Ashton Kutcher, Kevin Costners Character pours a shot from a bottle of WT 101!

Thomas

Another thing I found amusing in Red Dawn was how the Cuban officer was having second thoughts because of his previous experience, where he had always been fighting on the side of the insurgents (in his words, "Siempre estaba al lado de los insurgentes.").

This probably belongs in the politics forum, but I've always felt that communism and fascism are mirror images - in spite of the different rhetoric, the end result for us regular folks is the same under either system.

• 3 weeks later...

In Dead Man Walking, Sean Penn's character describes the first time his dad bought him some whiskey. He was a young boy, and his dad took him to the store and told him to pick something from behind the counter. He pointed at a bottle and said, "I want the one with the pretty Turkey on it."

Good choice.

Good movie, if you can set aside politics.

I went to see Rendition over the weekend, and in one scene the leader of a small nation brings out a bottle of Evan Williams Black.

Has anyone mentioned "Silverado"? Good western in my opinion. Towards the end in a saloon Stella and Paden are drinking bourbon, I'm positive, and toasting to "the good stuff". Always makes me thirsty.

Has anyone mentioned "Silverado"? ...

There is also a scene in which the bartender (the really short woman) decants "whiskey" from a barrel into bottles and cuts them with water, claiming the straight stuff "would raise a blood blister on boot leather".

One of the few westerns depicting whiskey being served this way; decanted from the barrel, the way it would have been in real life.

In Platoon, Barnes is seen swiggin from a bottle of Jack Black. Not bourbon but close enuff.

In Platoon, Barnes is seen swiggin from a bottle of Jack Black. Not bourbon but close enuff.

Not bourbon; not close. :cool:

I noticed a few people mentioned Maker's Mark in the Spider Man movies. I have a bit of inside information about that... I know Sam Raimi's nephew, and he told me that Sam is a huge Maker's Mark fan, and started putting it in his movies whenever he gets the chance. Maker's Mark was so thrilled, they gave him a lifetime supply of the stuff. Apparently, he's got a whole basement filled with bottles that he gives to all of his friends and family.

As many times as I have seen Eastwood drink on screen I can't think of a single instance where he drank a specific brand. However, in Coogan's Bluff He has a fight in a bar and you can see a poster advertisement for

I W Harper.

As many times as I have seen Eastwood drink on screen I can't think of a single instance where he drank a specific brand.
I can, but have yet to come up with the title. I have a distinct memory of an Eastwood movie in which he walks into a bar, sits down, and orders Wild Turkey. I think there may even be one or two other variations of this scene in the same movie, suggesting a character who drinks a lot or may even be an alcoholic.

Possibly it's from In The Line Of Fire, or Absolute Power. But it really could be from almost anything, and it's been driving me nuts ever since I first saw this thread about two weeks ago.

Larry

I saw this on Wikipedia. Interesting, though, it's television:

"George T. Stagg made an appearance in the PBS television series Mathnet. In the episode titled "The One Where Everyone Chips in for a Present" character Dr. Doug Fowler (commonly referred to as Dr. Dong on the show) is given a bottle of George T. Stagg (as well as two fancy whiskey glasses and a wine refrigerator) by his common-law wife Megan Westcott along with their friends Kiyomi, Josh, Anne, Megan, Kevin, Kendra, Mike O., Rena, Erin, Deirdre, Bill, Angela, Maneesh and Lisa all chipping in what they could."

• 2 weeks later...

On a recent episode of the TV show How I met Your mother Marshall is being wined and dined by a law firm executive in an attempt to get him to take a job at the firm. At the end of the meal they are having whiskey or perhaps brandy and cigars. There are two perhaps three small 375mil sized bottles on the table. They look like Buffalo Trace Experimental bottles. Unfortunately the wife deleted the program from the DVR before I could ask her not to. Did anyone else see this?

Brad,

I noted the same thing, but the program is long gone from the TiVo. It'll come on in reruns, perhaps sooner rather than later given the writers' strike.

I watched it on the website (you can apparently watch the last 4 episodes online-but there are commercials) I couldn't place the bottles positively.

has anyone mentioned Gene Wilder's character--the Cisco Kid--in Mel Brooks insane movie, BLAZING SADDLES? i took a photo of him glugging a bottle of something from Kentucky...maybe someone can identify the label.

i'll try to upload it today.