What Tequila do you recommend?

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I enjoy a good tequila now and then, both in margaritas and straight. Yes, straight. A good tequila can be sipped just like a fine bourbon.

It so happens that I am a fan of Herradura, specifically their reposado, so I noticed with interest the news that Brown-Forman has acquired the company, which also makes the El Jimador brand.

In another thread where this came up, WKU88 recommended Cuervo Gran Reserva. ("It may be the best tequila ever. It is expensive, though.") As well as Cuervo Traditional and Sauza Hornitos, which are reposados, and Cuervo 1800, an anejo.

So, what do you like in a tequila, either for sipping or mixing?

I personally like Cuzano Rojo Mescal. It has a butterscotch taste and goes down well straight. I never mix this stuff. One time while in the Sam's Club in Cancun, one of the natives referred to it as "rat poison". Seems Mescal is a little too strong for them. They prefer the clear tequilas.

Joe :usflag:

I enjoy a good tequila now and then, both in margaritas and straight. Yes, straight. A good tequila can be sipped just like a fine bourbon.

It so happens that I am a fan of Herradura, specifically their reposado, so I noticed with interest the news that Brown-Forman has acquired the company, which also makes the El Jimador brand.

In another thread where this came up, WKU88 recommended Cuervo Gran Reserva. ("It may be the best tequila ever. It is expensive, though.") As well as Cuervo Traditional and Sauza Hornitos, which are reposados, and Cuervo 1800, an anejo.

So, what do you like in a tequila, either for sipping or mixing?

With your bourbon tastes as also in mine you should prefer an añejo. The añejos are not usually preferred for margaritas and most recommend a blanco. Lately I have been using 1800 reposado for my margaritas. The Tequila drinkers usually use what they don't want to drink neat [their mistakes] in their Margaritas. For sipping tequila I would suggest El Tesoro añejo as my first choice and Tonala 'Suprema # 4' Anejo Tequila' which you can get at Binny's. Tonala has been my favorite mid level Tequila for quite a while. I have been a Tequila drinker quite a while now and switch between that and bourbon about half and half. Whatever you decide to try make sure it is 100% agave.

bj

I have 3 favorites, all for sipping: 1)Sauza Triada Anejo (Only problem is I haven't seen it for a couple of years now) 2) Cielo Reposado. Had this at our sast annual Cinco de Mayo party, and it was a huge hit. 3) Herradura Reposado (A regular at the party, since Chuck's rec a couple of years ago)

JOE

Tequila choice depends on whether you are drinking it straight or in a Margarita. If straight, you want something aged. I prefer El Tesoro añejo. If you want to drop $100, try El Tesoro Paradiso. It is cognac barreled and very elegant. If making a drink, you want it unaged to get a full, fresh flavor. I recommend El Tesoro Platinum or Sausa Hornitos.

For a good Margarita you MUST use fresh squeezed lime juice and Cointreau.

Limes vary in sweet/tart profile with every batch. About twice a year you will get a batch of limes that are absolutely perfect. On those occations, make the Margarita with El Tesroro Paradiso (or the best aged Tequila you've got) and the result is simply spectacular.

1. Fill cocktail shaker 1/2 full with medium size ice cubes
  2. Add 1 1/2 oz. freshly squeezed lime juice (about 1 lime)
  3. Add 1 1/4 oz. El Tesoro Silver tequila
  4. Add 3/4 oz. Cointreau
  5. Place top on shaker and shake for 5 seconds
  6. Pour drink into glass

I have been a Tequila drinker quite a while now and switch between that and bourbon about half and half. Whatever you decide to try make sure it is 100% agave.

bj

Is there anyway to know except to find the words, 100% Agave on the label somewhere? Are there any one hundred percenters out there that are not labled as such?

Ed

Is there anyway to know except to find the words, 100% Agave on the label somewhere? Are there any one hundred percenters out there that are not labled as such?

Ed

It will always say 100% if it is. If it isn't it won't say anything. If it is not 100% it is what is called a mixto. Even mixtos have to have at least 51% Agave and the rest of the alcohol is usually made from sugar of some kind. Most of Sausa choices are mixtos and you wont find a veteran Tequila drinker drinking any Tequila from Sausa. Cuervo also has mostly mixtos but has one 100% that is very good [Cuervo Reserva de la Familia]. It is of course rather expensive at around $80. There are some excellent Tequilas in the $30 to $50 range. I have tried maybe around 125 different ones and like many different ones. There are also some dogs out there but thats what comes with experimenting with different Tequilas. Also different people have different tastes so find the ones you like. I think if you don't like El Tesoro Blanco, Reposado, or Añejo you probably wont like Tequila.

bj

Sauza Hornitos is 100% agave, but most Sauza and Cuervo expressions are not.

A 100% agave tequila will say so on the label.

Herradura Reposado (A regular at the party, since Chuck's rec a couple of years ago)

So that's why I have a bottle of that. I was rearranging things recently and came across this bottling. I vaguely recalled buying it, perhaps in Houston a couple of years ago, but I couldn't remember why. Normally I buy tequila only to make Margaritas for guests, and I stick with whatever I can get at COSTCO.

Now that I no longer recall how much the HR cost, I think I'll put it in the regular rotation for sipping.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Chuck....I'm with you on the Herradura Reposado, as we've both posted here numerous times that its a good one. My mother doesn't drink much, but when we take her out for dinner, she has me order her a Margarita made with that "good tequila".....Herradura Reposado.

Another fave is made just north of PV....called Leyva. Aged for three months, more or less, in oak barrels. The pinas are still cooked in a outdoor dugout pit and fermented in open topped barrels. A garden hose provides the water for condensing off of the still. As simple a distillation process as I've ever seen. It can't be called tequila as its made in the state of Nayarit. Look for it if you ever make it to PV.

Randy

I'll second (or third, or fourth) the recommendation for 100% agave. A mini of Cuervo Gold turned me off of tequila - until I came across a tasting of Distinguido at my nearby Binny's. It's available in blanco, reposado, and añejo versions, all 100% agave, and all were out for tasting. A bottle of the reposado followed me home... it's very sippable neat, yet it's light enough to be good in a cocktail - which reminds me, I ought to mix a margarita or go fishing for tequila cocktail recipes on cocktaildb.com some time.

Cuervo Gold may not be 100% agave (actually I thought it was, but maybe not) but it has an excellent house flavor. I find it a bit sweet but sometimes sweetness is wanted, e.g., after dinner with coffee.

Gary

Gold or "oro" tequilas can only be made in the mixto class. There are no 100% agave oros. Gold tequila is not aged. Its color comes from the addition of caramel. That is also where it gets its sweetness.

I saw today another Cuervo which said 100% agave on it. Red seal wax top, looked expensive but there was no price tag and I had to leave before I could ask. Something on it too about family reserve.

I would think in the Cuervo line it's the raddest of the rad, fashizzle. :)

Anyone try it?

Gary

Thats probably Jose Cuervo Reserva de la Familia. Did it come in a designer box? Each year they commemorate a mexican artist who designs the display box. It is in my top 5 of tequilas. It is WONDERFUL!

Anywhere from $75-$110. An excellent "bargain" tequila is El Tesoro anejo. $33-$40ish.

http://orig.app.com/goodlife/Fall2005/topshelf/tequila2.html

Thanks, yes, it comes in a box and as you described. It was in a section of the store where the spirits are usually over $100. I'd guess (we could check at www.lcbo.com) it is going for about $150.00 (CAN).

Gary

Each year actually tastes a little different as well. I have had the 2003, 2004, 2005, and 2006. Of those, the 2004 is my favorite thus far. They go back as far as 1995.

I tend to go for solid mid-shelfers for my tequila choices. If I bought in Ontario, and it's poor selection, I'd go for Herradurra Repo. Definatly worth the $55 cdn price tag.

When family members go to PV, they do bring back bottles for me. Some favourites of mine are Gran Centenario Anjeo, Don Edwardo Reposado, 4 Copas Blanco. Still in my early discovery phase though.

Must say I did like the Jose Cuervo de la Familia. Not at $190 cdn, but at $100 US from a duty-free it would be an easy purchase.

The other day, I went searching for tequila-based, non-Margarita cocktail recipes on CocktailDB. I ended up trying a couple of them:

In both cases, I used Distinguido Reposado and Noilly Prat white vermouth. For the Eagle, I used Appleton Estate golden rum, while I used Cointreau in the Matador, instead of ordinary curaçao.

I found the Matador a lot more enjoyable than the Eagle. In the Eagle, the ingredients seemed to fight one another, with the vermouth winning. The Matador, on the other hand, was a very well-integrated drink. :yum:

I later tried a "Jamaicanized" version of the Red Hook, substituting the Appleton Estate golden rum for rye whiskey. This seemed to have an intriguing, smoky edge to it that I don't find when I make it the normal way with rye - but I liked it a whole lot better than the Mexican Eagle.

Based on Chuck's posts I picked up a Herradura Reposado. It is very good and worth the money (considering, that is, the high price of 100% blue agave tequila).

It has a winy good quality blanco base but the short aging softens and improves it. At the same time, the blanco roots are not hidden.

There is a natural oak sweetness which is appealing and possibly a faint whiskey influence from the use (probably) of ex-bourbon barrels.

This is a full-flavoured yet refined drink. I can see how tequila fans regard these as world classics even though I'm still coming to terms with the Gothic taste of cactus-derived spirit.

I tasted it next to one of my (yes folks) tequila blends. The one I chose is part Sauza Gold, part Cuervo Gold, and part Agava Silver (the South African tequila-type drink). Before doing the comparison I added to about 22 ounces of my blend one ounce of the Herradura, because, well why not?

My blend is not as good as the Herradura but it isn't bad by any means, oh no. I used an interesting marrying agent too for my blend. I had put in very little (one ounce maximum) of a neutral alcohol-based red spicy sweet drink which was a recent recreation of a faux-1800's whiskey that Mike Veach gave me. It added a touch of sweetness, faint spice and in general a pleasant overlay to the heavy agave flavours in there. It is a fine drink and would make a great Margarita but for neat sampling I have to give the nod to the Herradura.

While I am on the subject of non-bourbon, I also tried a Napoleon XO St-Remy. This is the brandy, not Remy Martin cognac. Just for fun I thought I would see what a top-line brandy (but non-cognac again) brandy tastes like. It is very good. Better I thought than Spanish brandy but with more fruit and sweetness than the cognacs I've had. It has a deep brandyish taste, with notes of cocoa, fruit and oak. Good integration with a soft lingering finish. This costs $23.00 against 8 and 10 times that for the cognac XOs: I think it holds up very well.

Finally, I sampled one of my ostensibly outlandish blends. This is 1/4 18 year old Canadian brandy; 1/4 rich Spanish brandy; and 1/2 of a well-integrated but kind of bland combination of North American whiskies. I got the idea from Byrn writing in the 1870's who advised to add a raisiny spirit to rye distillate. All my whiskey blends are heavy on the rye so I thought why not add a fruity brandy? I added more though than he advised. He said to add up to 10% raisin spirit and I went much higher but it didn't hurt the whiskey, au contraire. Well, this is really good! The fruit from the brandies informs and deepens the whiskey tastes. It is seamless and good and if anyone had it they might have trouble saying what it is exactly but they could not fail to like it. It too may hit Gazebo table soon.

Gary

Tequila choice depends on whether you are drinking it straight or in a Margarita. If straight, you want something aged. I prefer El Tesoro añejo. If you want to drop $100, try El Tesoro Paradiso. It is cognac barreled and very elegant. If making a drink, you want it unaged to get a full, fresh flavor. I recommend El Tesoro Platinum or Sausa Hornitos.

For a good Margarita you MUST use fresh squeezed lime juice and Cointreau.

Limes vary in sweet/tart profile with every batch. About twice a year you will get a batch of limes that are absolutely perfect. On those occations, make the Margarita with El Tesroro Paradiso (or the best aged Tequila you've got) and the result is simply spectacular.

1. Fill cocktail shaker 1/2 full with medium size ice cubes
  2. Add 1 1/2 oz. freshly squeezed lime juice (about 1 lime)
  3. Add 1 1/4 oz. El Tesoro Silver tequila
  4. Add 3/4 oz. Cointreau
  5. Place top on shaker and shake for 5 seconds
  6. Pour drink into glass

I have a question about the El Tesoro tequilas. I saw three of them on the shelf today, the silver, platinum, and one other, I don't recall which. The sliver was a couple of bucks more than the platinum. What is the difference and which do you prefer?

I know that fresh limes are a must, but I don't use them. They are just too expensive here in Japan. I do have a trick to make bottled lime juice more acceptable. I add a few drops of lemon extract to the drink. If I remember in time I pour a bit in the shot glass and pour it back in the bottle. This gives the finished drink a bit of citrus peel flavor that would otherwise be missing.

Ed

It will always say 100% if it is. If it isn't it won't say anything. If it is not 100% it is what is called a mixto. Even mixtos have to have at least 51% Agave and the rest of the alcohol is usually made from sugar of some kind. Most of Sausa choices are mixtos and you wont find a veteran Tequila drinker drinking any Tequila from Sausa. Cuervo also has mostly mixtos but has one 100% that is very good []. It is of course rather expensive at around $80. There are some excellent Tequilas in the $30 to $50 range. I have tried maybe around 125 different ones and like many different ones. There are also some dogs out there but thats what comes with experimenting with different Tequilas. Also different people have different tastes so find the ones you like. I think if you don't like El Tesoro Blanco, Reposado, or Añejo you probably wont like Tequila.

bj

Oh no, I like tequila. I am not widely experienced in it, that's all. There is a bottle of Cuervo Reserva de la Familia at my dad's house. I really liked that. I have had a couple of 100% agave silvers, Herradura stands out. I haven't had any that have been aged. The price puts me off. I find myself thinking, "Gee, I could get a bottle of WT 12 year old for that."

Ed

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.