What Tequila do you recommend?

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The price puts me off. I find myself thinking, "Gee, I could get a bottle of WT 12 year old for that."

Ed

I too am displeased with price of Tequila. By the time it gets to me in the Midwest through all the Federal and local taxes on both sides of the border plus shipping the price is way out of line. I am lucky I live in a state where I can get spirits shipped to my door because the selection in my area is very limited. Because of the taxes and expense of crossing the border Tequila is about $20 higher per bottle than bourbon in the same quality range.

I try to keep my Tequila purchases under the $50 range. Casa Noble blanco and reposado is in this range. I have also found a couple in the $20 range [D Los Altos both blanco and añejo] that are really good. They can be bought from "The Wine and Liquor Depot" in California. If you want to spend $300 then order Herradura Seleccion Suprema. This is the best in my book and I have a bottle of it for special occasions on my bar. I only buy one of these every couple years.

When I have to decide between a George T. Stagg and a Casa Noble Blanco I get them both.

bj

Limes vary in sweet/tart profile with every batch. About twice a year you will get a batch of limes that are absolutely perfect. On those occations, make the Margarita with El Tesroro Paradiso (or the best aged Tequila you've got) and the result is simply spectacular.

Using Paradiso in a Margarita is just wasting good tequila. I wouldn't think of mixing something with it.

• 2 weeks later...
So, what do you like in a tequila, either for sipping or mixing?

I really want to read this whole thread, but for now just wanted to share my recent experiences with Tequila. Seems that being bummed about not making it to the festival and the summer weather really ignited my love for tequila again.

While in Oregon I had some of my buddies Jose Cuervo Reserve de la Familia and it was SPECTACULAR! Hardly tasted like tequila and was perfect for sipping straight. It's spendy stuff at just under $80 a bottle, but I'd put it up against any scotch... Of course I don't like scotch so that is a no brainer! Honestly this is one of the few aged Tequilas I enjoy as I typically gravitate toward the Blanco (silver).

As for those I found Gran Centenario (sp) Plata to also be phenomenal, I enjoy shooting it or sipping it with a squeeze of fresh lime juice out of a bourbon glass. Wonderful!... Not too mention a really great looking bottle. In that same class are Herradura Blanco and Chaya Blanco. Strangely enough Gran C. and Herradura I believe are the only two Silver tequilas that are aged briefly, 20 and 40 days respectively I believe, and I think that slight little bit of age adds a very nice touch.

You notice I did not mention what is probably on of the most popular tequilas Patron, which I think is very overrated as is Don Julio and that one my buddy and I will argue about forever.

As for in a margarita I really think you need a Reposado with some bite to cut through the sweetness of the mixers. And as someone else mentioned I think no point in wasting a very expensive tequila for Margaritas, it just doesn't need it. Cuervo 1800 seems to work just fine for me.

I am getting thirsty, I think I'll celebrate my pending (99% sure) move to a place in Seal Beach, :grin: (I am sure Dave knows the area 12th in between PCH and Electric Ave) ~3 blocks from the beach with a bottle of Gran Centenario or whatever else Hi Time has a great deal on! :yum: :toast: :yum:

• 3 weeks later...

OK I have pretty well read all of this thread, except (Sorry Gary) some of Gillman's long post about he came up with anything good tasting that included Cuervo Gold. Again sorry Gary, I just can't go below 1800 for anything and find that gold stuff worthless even for margaritas.

Anyway I appear to be one of the few that enjoys sipping on the Silver Tequilas (Blanco and Plata). And yes Chuck sipping on a Tequila is every bit as enjoyable as sipping on a whiskey. I find my bourbon glass works well for this and I do add a squeeze of a fresh lime wedge.... Yummy!

And about Ceurvo Rezerve DL; yeah it is exceptional stuff. I can get it around here just under $80 which is spendy, but dam is it good!

Anyway I appear to be one of the few that enjoys sipping on the Silver Tequilas (Blanco and Plata).

I'll agree with you. The 100% Agave Blanco tequilas are my favorite for both making margs and drinking neat. They still have the pepper taste that I like in a tequilla. I off to Cancun for week this Friday, so I will have some tasting practice.

My favorite is Chinaco. I like the reposado, but they're all good. Truly a different animal from run-of-the-mill cheap tequila. To me, the reposado straight almost tastes like a cocktail, since it's got so much going on.

The New York Times did a comparative reposado tasting recently, which has some interesting comments.

snip

I just can't go below 1800 for anything and find that gold stuff worthless even for margaritas.

Anyway I appear to be one of the few that enjoys sipping on the Silver Tequilas (Blanco and Plata). And yes Chuck sipping on a Tequila is every bit as enjoyable as sipping on a whiskey. I find my bourbon glass works well for this and I do add a squeeze of a fresh lime wedge.... Yummy!

And about Ceurvo Rezerve DL; yeah it is exceptional stuff. I can get it around here just under $80 which is spendy, but dam is it good!

Herradura Silver seems to be the Tequila for me. I like it neat and in a margarita. I like its peppery taste. I like the price point too. At around 2,200 yen or just under 20 bucks US it is barely more expensive than a mixto. In fact it is cheaper than some aged mixtos.

1800 confuses me. I have seen three different 1800s, all of them were Reposado. One was 100% agave quite dark and quiet expensive, around 80 bucks. Another one was around 30 bucks, but I couldn't find 100 % agave anywhere on the label so it must have been a mixto. Then there is the bottle that I bought, Reposado, 100% agave, not very dark and around 30 bucks. Very drinkable, but I think I prefer Herradura Silver.

Ed

I concur, the 1800s are very confusing. There are definitely different grades of them though. If they say 100% blue agave obviously they are better than the mixtos, (Cuervo 1800 gold, etc) but I still think they are lacking something.

I have tasted the 1800 Reserva anejo ($50), it's ok.

The 1800 Milenio (bottled for the millenium 6 yers ago), again, its average.

Then there is also a 1800 Coleccion. ($1000+ per bottle!) I know a few people that have tried it and they said it's DEFINITELY not worth the price.

As far as Cuervo goes, the Gran Centenario line is a Cuervo product and quite good for the price (2 of the highter end anejos are only available in Mexico).

The JCRF is the best Cuervo product IMHO.

Anyone here ever tried the recently added Cuervo Black Anejo Tequila? Amazingly smooth, aged in (you guessed it) apparenly new charred oak barrels, giving it a nice smoky taste, and also very inexpensive, especially for a true Anejo. It's not something I'd call my favorite tequila, but it is something unique. Almost too smooth for me, but it's interesting.

JC Black is a mixto. The genius Cuervo marketing labeled the bottles 100% anejo to be misleading. A tequila is either a blanco, reposado, or anejo. No variation like 20% blanco and 80% anejo exists. So, 100% anejo is redundant. You are either aged over a year and thus an anejo, or less than a year and a reposado, or not aged at all and a blanco. 100% blue agave is the key.

Herradura Silver seems to be the Tequila for me. I like it neat and in a margarita. I like its peppery taste. I like the price point too. At around 2,200 yen or just under 20 bucks US it is barely more expensive than a mixto. In fact it is cheaper than some aged mixtos.

1800 confuses me. I have seen three different 1800s, all of them were Reposado. One was 100% agave quite dark and quiet expensive, around 80 bucks. Another one was around 30 bucks, but I couldn't find 100 % agave anywhere on the label so it must have been a mixto. Then there is the bottle that I bought, Reposado, 100% agave, not very dark and around 30 bucks. Very drinkable, but I think I prefer Herradura Silver.

Ed

:bigeyes: You can get Herrdura Silver for under $20 Ed??!?!?!?! Holy Crap that is a damn good deal! I picked up and since finished a bottle a while back for $29.99 on sale and that was the best I have EVER seen... I'd never run out of it at that price.

Anyway, I don't put it in a margarita though, I enjoy it straight too much to do that. Interesting that around here 1800 is the cheaper of the two where there it is the Herradura.

I've never tried Cuervo Black, but more than once I've seen it in the whiskey aisle, and not among the tequilas. I'm wondering if this is on purpose.

FWIW, I've loved the Distinguido 100% agave reposado that I have on my shelf. The silver and añejo versions that I tasted were also quite good, but I felt that the reposado was the most versatile of the three.

Gran Centenario is made by Cuervo? Say it ain't so! No really, PLEASE, say it ain't so.....

GC is made by Cuervo. Cuervo has a long and rich history, it's just the mass production of the swill they produce that gives tequila and name and Cuervo a bad name. If you try JC Reserva de la Familia you'll have a new found respect for Cuervo. Also, the GC lin of tequilas are good as well. They DO know how to make tequila, but they are brilliant marketers and JC mixto can be found in every bar in America.

I agree with Evangelos. I've had the JCRF and it's REALLY good. The Gran Centenario Anjeo I've had, and it's one of those "bang for the buck" tequilas at prices inside Mexico. Nothing like the regular Cuervo swill...

• 1 month later...

JC Gran Reserva de la Familia is the shiznit... just as I told Chuck, and therefore the impetus for this thread. Can't complain about 1800 anejo either... although, I really prefer a Reposado, 100% aguave.

You learn a lot when you drink tequila in Mexico with Mexicans!

Shots of tequila flavored NGS is for the college kids.:cool:

Partida Anejo. The problem is (a) it's expensive and (B) it's very hard to find. But if you can find it, and if you are up for spending north of $50 for a bottle of tequila, you will discover that it's totally worth it. Best tequila I've ever had.

Joel

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.