Elijah Craig 12-YO

ratcheer
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have tried the Elijah Craig 12-yr old several times over the past couple of weeks. At first, it was so firey hot that I could barely stand it, but I am enjoying it more with every tasting.

It has an excellent mapley aroma and flavor without being sweet in the least degree. It is trying to move to the top of my list. It is also the least expensive, by far, of all my top contenders.

What thoughts do you have on this whisky?

Tim

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Hi Ratcheer (say, isn't that Texan for "in this location"?)

Straightbourbon.com contains, beyond all the good-natured banter and BS, the largest source of real bourbon whiskey knowledge available in the world. A major part of that knowledge is contained in this discussion forum, but in order to get that information, you need to use the forum's features, one of which is the SEARCH function. There's almost nothing about American whiskey that isn't touched on SOMEWHERE in the archives of these messages, and the SEARCH tool is how you find it.

Select SEARCH from the menu at the top of the page; pick TASTING as the forum or category to search, ELIJAH CRAIG 12 (case doesn't matter, but don't use quotes, even for a phrase) as the words to search for, AND as the search option, and ALL POSTS as the date range. You'll get back a pile of posts about this fine bourbon, including everyone's thoughts about it. At least everyone who's already posted their thoughts, which will include your own of course - and thank you for adding to the knowledge base. The next person who does a search on Elijah Craig 12-year-old will also find your contribution, and that's how the knowledgebase grows.

Thank you for adding your comments, and have fun searching! Try the exact same search, but select ALL FORUMS as the category and see what all you find out about Elijah Craig.

=John=

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey>http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey</A>

"(say, isn't that Texan for "in this location"?)"

I think it's more of a Country Joe MacDonald thing, but turf instead of surf.

Cheers,

Jim Butler

Straightbourbon.com

Thanks, John. Yes, I'm new here and I hadn't thought of such a search. But I will try it, now.

Second, you caught me on the nickname, except I got it from my grandmother, who was from south Georgia. It used to delight me to no end to hear her say something like, "Now, sit down rat cheer". For some reason that popped into my mind one day when I was trying to come up with an internet alias.

Thanks again, Tim

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Tim since you are new you'll want to go to the 'Single Barrel/Small Batch' topic board. There you will find a 'drop down' menu that allows you to select the time span of the number to 'threads' you wish to view. Select all. Go to page two. There you will find a Tasting of Elijah Craig 12 Year Old that I posted last December. I think that you will find this helpful in your desire to know more about EC 12yo. Be sure to read the replies also, to see what other forum members think. Just because this is an old thread there is no reason not to post a reply if you've a mind to do so. A new reply will reactivate the entire thread and the forum softwear will bring it to the top of the recently active list of posts for that topic board. Cool stuff. I hope you enjoy it.

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question about this whiskey (EC 12-yo) and about a particular flavor. This is a very strong-flavored whiskey, I think most would agree.

On the Whisky World web site, Jim Murray's tasting notes on it say: "Palate: Rye hits every corner of the mouth."

So my question is, do you experienced tasters agree that the predominate flavor of this whiskey is rye? I just want to know so I will have a future reference point for this flavor in my tastings.

Thanks, Tim

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Jeez Tim whatever you do don't take Jim Murrey as the last word on anything!

Trust your own taste buds! Do you like the twelve year old Elijah Craig or not?

I love it! There is a peculiar taste that Jim Butler says tastes like champhor. Still others have stated that it reminds them of Vicks Formula 44. Whatever it is or where it comes from, EC 12YO has a very distinct medicinal quality about it. This is simply a function of the mashbill; the barrel, and the rackhouse location along with time.

For a younger and slightly cheaper version try Heaven Hill's J.W. Dant 100 proof Bottled in Bond. Same great flavor at half the age. If this doesn't make you smack yo' momma then nothin' will!

Linn Spencer

Oh, I wasn't taking him as the last word, that is why I was asking, here.

The thing is, I don't know all these flavors everyone refers to when they are describing their tastings. Since EC 12-yo has a very pronounced and particular flavor, which one reviewer ascribes to rye, I was asking if this is something other tasters agree with, or not. If it is generally agreed to be the flavor of rye, then when I get that same flavor in another bourbon, I would be able to identify it as rye, too. I'm just trying to pin down a reference point.

I definitely know what I like and what I don't. I just don't know how to give descriptions in words others can depend on.

BTW, Mr. Murray gives EC 12-yo a 9 1/2 out of 10 and says, "just about nudging perfection", so he certaintly doesn't disagree with your assessment of this whiskey.

Thanks, Tim

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

That is very perceptive of you Tim! I can tell you that from a certain source 'in the know' that Jim Murrey has indeed been reading my tastings, and as you can see his writting has improved markedly.

To find out what rye tastes like just buy a bottle of Old Overholt. Rye tends to add some of the fruitiness, especially the so called 'dark fruits'. Rye is mainly responsible for the hot spicey kick in the finish.

That particular flavor that you taste in Elija Craig is peculiar to Heaven Hill whiskey in general. It's kind of like a signature flavor. Barton has it's own quirky little signature flavor. Beam whiskey has a very special signature flavor that millions adore. Mike Veach is very much attuned to this sort of thing and can identify the distiller of a mystery glass of whiskey just by these unique signature flavors. Maybe he'll be kind enough tell us about them.

Linn Spencer

And, I can taste a marked similarity between Woodford Reserve and Old Forester 100 proof. They are similar enough that, as wonderful as the Woodford is, I'm not sure I will pay for it again when I know I can get about the same taste for half the money.

Cheers, Tim

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

That's an easy one Tim! Both Old Forester and Woodford Reserve share the exact same mashbill and are distilled at the Early Times Distillery by Master Distiller Lincoln Henderson.

Selected barrels of OF are taken to the Labrot & Graham Distillery on Glenn's Creek for aging.

My unofficial inside source has told me that the 100 proof OF is 8 years old and meets the requirements to be a bonded bourbon. It's just that Brown-Forman chooses not to label it as such. Jim Beam does the same thing with Knob Creek.

Drinking OF 100 proof & Beam's Black Label vs. Woodford Reserve & Knob Creek will certainly save you money. I've not tryed a blind A-B taste test between each distillery's pairings. But I could as I have a bottle of all four. Hmmm.

Linn Spencer

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

The Woodford Reserve we all know and love really IS Old Forester -- specially selected, taken to Labrot & Graham to age a couple years longer, and bottled at 94.4 proof. This was originally intended as a temporary stopgap so that product and name-identification could begin right away instead of waiting six or more years for the L&G product to be ready. This is the Distiller's Select that's the only brand currently available. They weren't expecting it to be such a hit in its own right. The real Labrot & Graham product, which I understand will still be called Woodford Reserve is still not ready to be released, but it promises to be a very different sort of bourbon indeed. In conversations with Lincoln Henderson early on in the experimental stages, he told me that they were having a lot of success and that there may well be two or three different bourbons released. More recent news indicates there may be some disagreement about the readiness of the first release, with the result that it might not occur as expected next year. And the master distiller changeover at this time from Lincoln to Chris Morris makes me wonder how deep that disagreement might run. Still, I have no doubt that it will be a big success. And that it will be very different from Old Forester. And that Old Forester will still be one of the finest examples of bourbon you can buy for the money... or even for more money.

=John=

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey>http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey</A>

• 11 months later...

A year later! I shared your experience almost exactly. I'm withholding my tasting until at least another bottle. But my first time wasn't good. The stuff was almost astringent in my mouth. But then I finished the last 1/3 of the bottle in a gluttoneous hour or so.

• 3 weeks later...

I've turned the corner on this perplexing bourbon in the last couple weeks. I was getting low on my regulars and decided to go back to the second half of my first bottle of EC 12YO.

My first impressions a few months ago were the astringency (yuck) and the complexity (too complex, a mish mash of flavors). But, in recent tastings the astringency has seemingly diminished and the complexity is falling into place.

Perhaps this is due to me drinking cheaper bourbons lately. Their less dramatic taste has set me up to appreciate all the action happening in EC.

But, I am still not in love with EC. It may take a while longer for me to come all the way around on this bourbon.

I hate to be to blunt, but I have been drinking whiskey for almost 20 years, and this is about the worst. I am all about "complexity", but overtones of turpentine and pine cleaner are too much! It was all my girlfriend and I could do to finish the first bottle. The second was a gift that I am ashamed to say that returned to the retailer for a legitimate bourbon. We will stick to the Turkey, Jack, and Woodford thanks. H'wood tongue.gif

Thats the beauty of this forum, the difference of opinions really give you a good look at the bourbon at hand. I (personally) happen to like both EC12, and a bourbon like WT101 for many of the same reasons. . .

Hmmmm. . .

TomC

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Eric, as I have said many times in the past there are going to some bourbons that you're just not going to like. The fact that your first post is a negative one reminds me of this advice => "A mind is like a parachute. It has to be open to work" wink.gif

His opinion of EC12 is similar to what mine was a couple of years ago, back when all I wanted to drink was MM. It tasted "chemically" to me. Well I am about 2/3 of the way through my first purchased bottle and I love it. I think I have been going though a sort of palate metamorphasis the last couple of years. It started with cooking and eating gormet foods instead of Hot Pockets and Burger King tongue.gif Then went on to more complex wines and now bourbon. I am a better person for it, even if the wallet is a bit lighter grin.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

It started with cooking and eating gormet foods instead of Hot Pockets and Burger King

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Jeff said "would you like fies with that?" But Leslie said " would you like thighs with that?" and then Linn and Tom said "bring it on girl!" Hoochee, Hoochee => Who's got the koocheee?

Linn, your point is well taken. However, my openess is how I came upon the EC12. Didn't mean to offend anyone, but my opinion on it was just that. I look forward to discussing some quality whiskies--ie: WT Rare Breed, Woodford Reserve, Jack D's Single Barrel, WL Weller 19yr, and etc. Glasses up! Thanks, H'wood cool.gif

H.,

Welcome aboard!

I've only been drinking bourbon on a regular basis for a few months, and one of my early experiments was EC12. My first reaction was on the order of "Holy S---! What the hell was that?".

Since then I have gone through three bottles (finished the third one last night), still trying to get a fix on this unique bourbon. One time I will love it; the next time I will wonder why I ever thought I loved it. Last night there was barely an ounce left in the bottle, and I thought it tasted great.

Then my hand happend to fall on my bottle of Elmer T. Lee single barrel, which I have always enjoyed in the past (a half a bottle's worth). With the power of EC12 still reverbrating though my taste and smell sensors, ETL seemed totally without flavor. (I'm looking forward to revisiting ETL with fresh taste buds.)

If it proves anything, I guess my experience shows that EC 12 is definitely in a league of its own, for good or ill. I'm pretty sure I'll keep buying it just for the different dimension it provides.

Speaking of different dimensions, your reference to turpentine isn't that far from other characterizations hereabouts. Others have refered to "Vicks Formula 44" and camphor. I think anyone who has tried it knows what you are talking about; it's just a question of whether one finds enjoyment (or in my case, interest) due to that ... ummmm.... "distinctive" flavor element. I don't get a pine taste, though.

If it comes right down to it, I too would choose Wild Turkey or Woodford Reserve over EC12 for my last drink of bourbon before I die. However, that other, non-bourbon product that you mentioned is one that I find even more idiosyncratic than EC12. I drank it for years due to a marvelous experience that I had at the distillery in Lynchburg back in the 70's, but now I can hardly stand it. Even my lone bottle of Single Barrel is gathering dust, right along with the Gentleman. Go figure.

Keep on callin' 'em as you see 'em.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Big Dave, I appreciate your comments. I look forward to chatting with you in the future. Sorry, for the "non-bourbon" fancy with the JD, but it holds a dear place with me. Although, I very much have a thing for Woodford! Hail to WOODFORD! Thanks again, H'wood cool.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.