Fall Scotches

TimmyBoston
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Now that the weather's getting colder, I'm making my annual transition into more Scotch drinking. I have bottles of HP 12, Lagavulin, Ardbeg Uigaedail, Laphroig, and Talisker.

Any suggestions for some fall sipping?

I'm a big fan of Islays, absolutely love them, and I have quite a few of them, actually the majority of my collection is Islays, but I'm looking for something new this year. I think I may have to look into the Aberlour.

Great Suggestions, Keep 'em Coming!

• 1 month later...

Lately, I've been pouring from "forgotten" bottles that I've opened in the last year and haven't revisited. Tonight, I brought out my nearly-full Aberlour A'Bunadh Batch #15 (59.6% ABV), and wow, it's just fantastic. It's pretty obvious that I set this one aside in the first place in order to conserve it!

When I nose it, it gives me a raisiny impression, more like an Armagnac than a whisky. On the palate, the malt asserts itself, but the sherry influence is quite strong. I couldn't detect any peat (and Speysiders generally have little or no peat to speak of).

If you enjoy barrel-proof bourbons like Stagg, this is a Scotch well worth looking into.

I just poured from another one of my "forgotten" open bottles. This time, it's Compass Box Asyla, a blended Scotch (malt + grain whisky).

I've often heard of it referred to as a summer pour, but I'd say it's suitable for all seasons. It's roughly in the JW Black price bracket, but its profile reminds me of the late, lamented Campbeltown Loch 25; smoky yet sweet, with a vanilla tinge and a "toasty" nose. The malt portion of the blend makes itself known, while the grain whisky provides a lovely counterpoint.

They may not get the respect that single malts get, but well-crafted blended Scotches are highly enjoyable nonetheless - and I'll give John Glaser bonus points for his willingness to push the envelope (cf. the Spice Tree controversy).

Plucked another A'Bunadh tonight -- Batch #9. I have #8 and #16 open (current on shelves is #17). I think I'll save this one for a multi-national whisk(e)y lineup I'm mulling for the Sampler next spring.

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight I decided to step out of my normal zone and I purchased a bottle of Aberlour A'Bunadh (batch #16). My father in law is a Scotch drinker so I thought it might be nice to have a bottle for him to try (he has not had this one).

As someone mentioned in the favorite bottle thread, I like this one as well. It has a clean classic look.

I love the color of this, it is enticing, deep dark and rich looking.

The Sherry really overpowers my nose, with a hint of the smokiness to come as well.

The Sherry really comes through in the taste as well, along with a nice touch of smokiness and fruit. It is very smooth and creamy.

The finish has a slight bitterness to it, but then fades to leave the taste of fruit (for me something like ripe plums).

I very much enjoy the flavor, but my taste buds lean to the Bourbons and Irish more. This will be a great pour to have around for a change of pace. Seems the exploration will never end.

:toast:

• 1 month later...

We brought dinner over to the in-laws and I brought along my bottle of Aberlour A'bunadh for him to try. Well he wants to know how I discovered this little jewel. I of course gave SB.com all the credit...which did confuse him slightly. Nice bottle of Aberlour A'bunadh $60...making the father-in-law happy, priceless!

:toast:

• 3 weeks later...
Now that the weather's getting colder, I'm making my annual transition into more Scotch drinking. I have bottles of HP 12, Lagavulin, Ardbeg Uigaedail, Laphroig, and Talisker.

Any suggestions for some fall sipping?

Not sure about specifically "fall sipping" (although generally speaking I personally tend to prefer Islay whisky on colder, uglier days).

The current released Caol Ila 25CS is great. I recently found Arigih Nam Beist, and thought it was different, but a great addition to Ardbeg's line-up. You also can't go wrong with Talisker's 175th or the current Distiller's Edition, (imho).

• 4 months later...

I finally was able to replace my Aberlour A'Bunadh. I "really" enjoy the flavor of this. I went shopping today specificaly for the A'Bunadh, but also hoping to find a Bourbon to peak my interest. All of the Bourbons were bottles I currently have or was not moved enough to buy today. I did end up with a bottle of Aberlour 12 year old Double cask matured to go with the A'Bunadh. Can anyone tell me why the 12 year old would be a few dollars less than the 10 year old? I found that interesting? Anyway, I look forward to giving it a try later tonight.

TimmyBoston – I see you listed Ardbeg Uigeadail, which I think is excellent. If you have quite a few Islays then you probably already tried these: Laphroaig 10yo Cask Strength or Laphroaig Quarter Cask. Both of these are very good (I really like the QC). Also try a Bowmore 17 yo. Now a whisky that I really love is the Talisker 18 yo; I don’t know about where you are but here the Talisker 18 is only $5 more than the 10 yo, well worth the cost. For not so peaty, try Glenfarclas, Glenmorangie, or Balvenie.

T47 – I really love the A’bunadh also. Some others to try from the same genre (Sherry Monsters) are the Macallan Cask Strength and the Glenfarclas 105. You might try the Aberlour 15 or 16 (the 16 is replacing the 15). I personally think the older Aberlours are a little better than the younger ones.

Regards - Bob

T47 – I really love the A’bunadh also. Some others to try from the same genre (Sherry Monsters) are the Macallan Cask Strength and the Glenfarclas 105. You might try the Aberlour 15 or 16 (the 16 is replacing the 15). I personally think the older Aberlours are a little better than the younger ones. Regards - Bob

Thanks for the information Bob. Here in WA we have the A'bunadh ($60.45), the Aberlour 10 ($31.95), Aberlour 12-double cask ($28.60) and Aberlour Glenlivet 16 ($51.00).

I was very pleased the the 12, and found it to be similiar but not as deep in flavor as the A'bunadh, but at 1/2 the price an excellent alternative.

I have only had a few Scotches and am not really familiar with the regions and how that affects the flavor. I have tried one expample of a "peaty" Scotch and did not like that flavor at all. I have had Macallan 18, Glenlivet 12, Glenmorangie 10, A'bunadh, Aberlour 10, and Aberlour 12 dbl cask.

Though Bourbon remains my favorite, I have enjoyed these Scotches as well and it's nice to have variety on the shelf.

T47 - The prices you listed are very reasonable, at least compared to around here, and I find that we usually have good prices compared to most others. Congratulations! One to try that's good and usually very reasonably priced is the Dalmore 12. You might also try a Balvenie 12 DoubleWood.

Bob

Please forgive me as I'm jumping into this one rather late. I agree wholeheartedly with Yellowjacket on both the Dalmore 12 and Balvenie Doublewood. I brought a bottle of the Balvenie to a party this weekend. It didn't last long. The Dalmore is (for me) a really enjoyable pour at a most reasonable price.

I have The Dalmore in reserve (and have tasted the 62yo -- run a search!). I'm a bourbon drinker. 'Nuff said.

• 1 month later...

Malt Trust Rosebank 15yo...58.4%abv (dash of water). From a dormant Lowland distillery. This is unbelievably complex, with rose, orange blossom, golden raspberry, honey, and vanilla over a firm malt and dry-spice backbone. There are bottles of this (Malt Trust is the bottler, Rosebank the distiller) available at Astor in New York. $109.99 a bottle, and worth every penny. A genre-defining Scotch, from one of my two favorite distilleries. And to think, Diageo chose crap-ass Glenkinchie over this place. Fie, fie on Diageo.

[Moderator is permitted to replace 'fie' with a much more appropriate 'f' word.]

• 1 month later...

I'll throw in Glen Garioch in its younger expressions (8 or 10 yo) as my recent finds in terms of autumn Scotch. If you luck into one of the more heavily peat reeked bottles, you're in business. If not, you still have a sturdy, warming malt at a good price.

It's finally fall again in the North East so I went for a few scotches last weekend. Ardbeg Uigeadail and Lagavulin 12 CS. Both were very enjoyable.

This past Friday, 14 friends came over for a Scotch tasting (our fourth). We sampled:

Bunnahabhain 12 yo

Bunnahabhain 18 yo

Macallan 12 yo

Macallan 18 yo (1989)

Macallan 18 yo (1980)

Bowmore 12 yo

Bowmore 17 yo

Redbreast 12 yo (a sort of night-cap)

We had a great time and even commented that this was a great start to fall. We just wished the weather would get a bit cooler.

Bob

This past Friday, 14 friends came over for a Scotch tasting (our fourth). We sampled:

Bunnahabhain 12 yo

Bunnahabhain 18 yo

Macallan 12 yo

Macallan 18 yo (1989)

Macallan 18 yo (1980)

Bowmore 12 yo

Bowmore 17 yo

Redbreast 12 yo (a sort of night-cap)

We had a great time and even commented that this was a great start to fall. We just wished the weather would get a bit cooler.

Bob

A very nice group (save for the Mac 12, which I don't think has been good for years). Bowmore 17 is a classic, and replaced, sadly, by the more sherried 18 (which I hear is still good). The 17 will only be in travel (duty free), so buy it now if you like it..

I am going to finish off a sample of the Laphroaig 10 Cask strenght, the 57.3% version. A wonderful dram, good balance between the peat and the sweet malt..Less medicinal than the standard ten, and less sweet, perhaps more smokey though...

A very nice group (save for the Mac 12, which I don't think has been good for years). Bowmore 17 is a classic, and replaced, sadly, by the more sherried 18 (which I hear is still good). The 17 will only be in travel (duty free), so buy it now if you like it..

I am going to finish off a sample of the Laphroaig 10 Cask strenght, the 57.3% version. A wonderful dram, good balance between the peat and the sweet malt..Less medicinal than the standard ten, and less sweet, perhaps more smokey though...

I agree with you on the Macallan 12 - we actually tried a 12 yo of the older presentation (not sure exactly what year). Again, I agree about the Bowmore 17. I wanted the group to try the 17 yo while there was still a chance to grab one off the shelves. If you like the Laphroaig 10 CS (which I think is exellent), I hope you have tried the Laphroaig Quarter Cask, which is also excellent.

For information sake, in August we sampled the following:

Glenlivet 12 yo / 18 yoyo

Glenmorangie 10 yo / 18 yo

Bruichladdich 10 yo / 17 yo

And for December we will try:

Glenfarclas 12 yo / 17 yo

Highland Park 12 yo / 18 yo

Talisker 10 yo / 18 yo

(Also plan on introducing the group to a Highland Park 18 yo and 25 yo, both bottled in the mid-1990's)

Bob

I agree with you on the Macallan 12 - we actually tried a 12 yo of the older presentation (not sure exactly what year). Again, I agree about the Bowmore 17. I wanted the group to try the 17 yo while there was still a chance to grab one off the shelves. If you like the Laphroaig 10 CS (which I think is exellent), I hope you have tried the Laphroaig Quarter Cask, which is also excellent.

For information sake, in August we sampled the following:

Glenlivet 12 yo / 18 yoyo

Glenmorangie 10 yo / 18 yo

Bruichladdich 10 yo / 17 yo

And for December we will try:

Glenfarclas 12 yo / 17 yo

Highland Park 12 yo / 18 yo

Talisker 10 yo / 18 yo

(Also plan on introducing the group to a Highland Park 18 yo and 25 yo, both bottled in the mid-1990's)

Bob

I have sampled three bottles of the QC..Two were just superb, one was not as good. That one lacked the malty center that makes laphroig so balanced and special-balanced in spite of the intense peat and seaweed quality...I have had about ten expressions of Laph, including some indys..I have a bottle of the Signatory 1999 7 year old on my shelf, in the q.. I love very young Islays...however...

My favorite is the 30, which is one of the best three whiskies I have had..unbelieable..I picked up a bottle recently, as it is being replaced by the 25..they were making some great malts in the 70s there. In fact, Binnys still has the Bicentenary version 1977 malt for 120, a great price...

Nice december tasting, and lucky them for the two older expressions of HP

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.