Fall Scotches

TimmyBoston
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have sampled three bottles of the QC..Two were just superb, one was not as good. That one lacked the malty center that makes laphroig so balanced and special-balanced in spite of the intense peat and seaweed quality...I have had about ten expressions of Laph, including some indys..I have a bottle of the Signatory 1999 7 year old on my shelf, in the q.. I love very young Islays...however...

My favorite is the 30, which is one of the best three whiskies I have had..unbelieable..I picked up a bottle recently, as it is being replaced by the 25..they were making some great malts in the 70s there. In fact, Binnys still has the Bicentenary version 1977 malt for 120, a great price...

Nice december tasting, and lucky them for the two older expressions of HP

drrich,

By the way, good to see you here from the Whisky Mag forum (though I believe you’re at PeatFreak’s now). I have seriously been into single malts about 18-20 months now and have experienced the basic Laphroaig’s, the 10, 15, CS, and QC, and have really enjoyed each of them. Due to fortunate circumstances, I will be attending the Whisky Fest in NYC in two weeks and you have confirmed my desire to sample the Laph 30 at the charity table.

As for the older HP bottlings, I have found certain areas and stores that carry a number of older dusty bottles of scotch. For instance, I found an older bottling of Laphroaig 15 yo, 45% ABV, that comes in a metal square container, with no bar code or surgeon general’s warning on the bottle, and has a “15 Years Old†label on the shoulder. I believe it comes from the very early ‘90s, but I’m not certain. I haven’t tried it yet, waiting for the right moment and will compare to the current 15.

Thanks - Bob

drrich,

By the way, good to see you here from the Whisky Mag forum (though I believe you’re at PeatFreak’s now). I have seriously been into single malts about 18-20 months now and have experienced the basic Laphroaig’s, the 10, 15, CS, and QC, and have really enjoyed each of them. Due to fortunate circumstances, I will be attending the Whisky Fest in NYC in two weeks and you have confirmed my desire to sample the Laph 30 at the charity table.

As for the older HP bottlings, I have found certain areas and stores that carry a number of older dusty bottles of scotch. For instance, I found an older bottling of Laphroaig 15 yo, 45% ABV, that comes in a metal square container, with no bar code or surgeon general’s warning on the bottle, and has a “15 Years Old” label on the shoulder. I believe it comes from the very early ‘90s, but I’m not certain. I haven’t tried it yet, waiting for the right moment and will compare to the current 15.

Thanks - Bob

Hi Bob,

Yes, to paraphrase a letter from the Malt Advocate, I find whisky mag, and its forum, to be too tight with the industry, to be kind...I love head to heads with old and current editions of the same malt, so that will be a great comparison..I wished I lived in a place with dusty old bottles- ABC stores here are pretty generic..some good stores across the SC border, but not that look whats in the corner quality to the places...

Given that you like Laphs so much, I would check out Binnys single cask bottles (they ship to Texas, right?)..There is one on sale for 45 bucks, cask strenght..IT is the 2000/2007.I have not had it, but had the one the year before..not complex, but very bright, malty, with some really in your face peat....

Enjoy whiskyfest..I have been into Malt for about 4 or 5 years, and have yet to make it to a big festival- only tastings. Most of my whisky interactions are between me and traiding partners...

And, no learning the world of bourbon..enjoying my discoveries, and REALLy likeing the prices..

Rich

Hi Bob,

Yes, to paraphrase a letter from the Malt Advocate, I find whisky mag, and its forum, to be too tight with the industry, to be kind...I love head to heads with old and current editions of the same malt, so that will be a great comparison..I wished I lived in a place with dusty old bottles- ABC stores here are pretty generic..some good stores across the SC border, but not that look whats in the corner quality to the places...

Given that you like Laphs so much, I would check out Binnys single cask bottles (they ship to Texas, right?)..There is one on sale for 45 bucks, cask strenght..IT is the 2000/2007.I have not had it, but had the one the year before..not complex, but very bright, malty, with some really in your face peat....

Enjoy whiskyfest..I have been into Malt for about 4 or 5 years, and have yet to make it to a big festival- only tastings. Most of my whisky interactions are between me and traiding partners...

And, no learning the world of bourbon..enjoying my discoveries, and REALLy likeing the prices..

Rich

Rich,

I have only shipped from Parker Whisky in Banff, Scotland (there's a story, but told another time). But your several suggestions on this forum about bottles from Binny's look very attractive - I'll have to check it out.

I know what you mean about bourbon. I've really begun exploring bourbons and ryes about six months now, and have discovered a great new world. I'm still learning every day (just like single malts), but a lot of fun and enjoyable. And you're right, the prices are very nice!

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

here in PA, there are some Islay single malts going for under $25 (on sale). can't remember the name. not top shelf (literally....of course:rolleyes: ).

same brand offered a lowlands bottle as well if that helps...

are there some 'bad' or worthless Islays out there? it's a small area of the world, right? i would think bad quality scotch would be harder to dole out when you have locals and neighbors all around!

The brand you're speaking of is probably McClelland's. If so, they are part of Morrison-Bowmore, and so their Islay is Bowmore at 5 years old, give or take. I've read mixed reviews, with most folks on the positive side but the negative reviews being overwhelmingly angry. It seems when you get a bad bottle, it's really bad. Regardless, a young Islay (including that one) can be a beautiful thing: peaty and untamed, a bit like a young rye (not flavor-wise, but in its character).

Sure, there are bad Islays (and bad Scotches generally): a bad cask is a bad cask. But by and large, even the younger expressions offer enough personality to be worth trying.

That said, I'll try any Islay. Especially for ~$20 (like McClelland's).

The brand you're speaking of is probably McClelland's. If so, they are part of Morrison-Bowmore, and so their Islay is Bowmore at 5 years old, give or take. I've read mixed reviews, with most folks on the positive side but the negative reviews being overwhelmingly angry. It seems when you get a bad bottle, it's really bad. Regardless, a young Islay (including that one) can be a beautiful thing: peaty and untamed, a bit like a young rye (not flavor-wise, but in its character).

Sure, there are bad Islays (and bad Scotches generally): a bad cask is a bad cask. But by and large, even the younger expressions offer enough personality to be worth trying.

That said, I'll try any Islay. Especially for ~$20 (like McClelland's).

Very solid advice all the way through here. I have had the McClelland's twice. The last time, a year ago, it was extremly metallic, and nearly undrinkable. The first bottle I had of this, which as stated is usually a 5yo Bowmore, it was decent. For young Islays, I far prefer Caol Ila. Bowmore seems to like a bit more time, but the Bowmore Legend is not bad at all, and usually under $30. Binny's as some single cask Caol Ila and Bowmores in the 6 and 7 year range- the ones I have had have been very good, and in the mid 40s.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.